• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Skill with machinery

His buddy is behind the camera pointing right-left-up-stop-go-down-right-etc..;)

The lift-jockey's I worked with were closer kin to a bull in a china closet than him.

His buddy is behind the camera pointing right-left-up-stop-go-down-right-etc..;)

The lift-jockey's I worked with were closer kin to a bull in a china closet than him.

As they teach in any MBA program.....Adequate performance at minimal cost. Accordingly, if your lift-jockey was payed a low enough wage..........then everything was beautiful.

When I "worked for a living" they(the MBA:bowguys:bow "upstairs") never gave us :deal time to flip coins into bottles for fun. :doh Maybe that's why I was "overpaid":nono according to the philosophy of some these days?

All hail skilled workmen

The skill of skilled "workmen" is always a pleasure to behold. We're currently having a studio constructed on our property. I couldn't believe that it was possible for the concrete pumper truck to get into position, given our driveway, to pour the foundation. And then the way he maneuvered the huge boom around trees was nothing less than art.

Our contractor and his assistants have been nothing less than wonderful so far as were the guy who installed a new septic field and his assistant. All of them work long hours when that is what the job requires, take few breaks, and do their work efficiently but carefully, often in less than wonderful conditions.

They take real pride in their work.

They also get paid well. I write the checks and am glad to do so. Skilled hard-working folk should be paid enough to live well.

Not to get away from fork-lift skills,but your into my "wheelhouse" now. Having worked in tech ed for many years the problem with placing newly trained , skilled students-even our best of the crop-students, often came down to employers being unwilling to pay for what they were getting(esp here in low wage KY!) and asking for a multi skilled wunderkind of an employee but basically unwilling to pay for that skill level. It was commonplace to have them asking for an electrician/mechanic/pipefitter/welder/AC tech(like many such persons exist these days) all rolled into one at below $10 hrly. As much as we didn't want to burn the employer/school bridge I know of some phone calls getting clicked off from these types.I asked a guy once if he would want a dumb-axx to build his house.
Now, back to flipping pennies...

I used to win lunch money from the new guys at work (long long time ago) with the ' pick up the dime' trick, but never thought about dropping it in a bottle!

The skill of skilled "workmen" is always a pleasure to behold. We're currently having a studio constructed on our property. I couldn't believe that it was possible for the concrete pumper truck to get into position, given our driveway, to pour the foundation. And then the way he maneuvered the huge boom around trees was nothing less than art.

Our contractor and his assistants have been nothing less than wonderful so far as were the guy who installed a new septic field and his assistant. All of them work long hours when that is what the job requires, take few breaks, and do their work efficiently but carefully, often in less than wonderful conditions.

They take real pride in their work.

They also get paid well. I write the checks and am glad to do so. Skilled hard-working folk should be paid enough to live well.

Thanks for that last sentence.

IMO there is a SERIOUS problem when the CEOs etc get millions and the "meat" way down at the bottom of the corporate ladder gets zippo. Worse than zippo, is when the "meat" gets killed in an explosion or collapse, after the CEOs etc decide that safety is too costly. That profit is above human worth.

No "meat" to churn into the machine? No millions. Plain & simple.

Back to the thread; this rant may never end.

Back