• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seattle members, Visitor from Australia in Sept.

• Thread starter pweee@optusnet.com
  • Start date
P

pweee@optusnet.com

Hi, I'm a new member from Melbourne, Australia, would like to catch up with members from Seattle, to chat about bikes, chat about riding in the USA, things to do and not to do, local road laws.

I'm spending a week in Seattle, then spending 3 weeks riding my way to LA, with 3 other guys,

I've been riding BMW's for 25 years,

I will flying into Seattle on 6th Sept, I pick up a GS on the 13th sept, I will have a car for few days, I can get around.

Any members with time for a coffee, please contact me, Peter

pwee12gs@gmail.com

The entire US west coast is loaded with absolutely great riding. Stay off I-5.

In Seattle, go to Cafe Veloce in Kirkland. If your timing coincides, and especially if the weather is nice, go to the VME meeting.

Do the 3 Passes Tour in Washington: ride up WA-9 to Arlington, go east to Darrington and north to Concrete, then take WA-20 over the Cascades. Go south on US-97 and over Blewitt Pass, then come back west to Seattle over Snoqualmie Pass.

Of course, ride down to Mt. Rainier and ride through the park. Take WA-410 from Enumclaw over a flank of the mountain and then WA-123 to US-12. Make a right at Morton and take WA-7 back to Seattle.

On your way to Oregon, go around the east side of Mt. St. Helens. (You could do this after riding around Rainier, starts from the same place.) Take US-12 to Randle, then take Forest Service (FS) 25 south. This wonderful road takes you to Carson at the Columbia River. Cross at the Bridge of the Gods, which will often put the fear into a rider because of both it being an open grated deck bridge and the wind whistling down the Columbia Gorge.

Portland is a beautiful city, but you could go east to Hood River and take OR-35 around Mt. Hood to US-26 to US-97 to Redmond. Turn west on OR-126, but take OR-242 at Sisters. It rejoins OR-126, which you could take all the way to the coast at Florence and US-101.

The rest is easy: take US-101 to Leggett, CA, make a right onto CA-1 and ride until you get to SF. :)

+1 on what Darryl suggested, but I'd recommend an alternative continuing south thru Redmond/Bend to go past Crater Lake, then to Roseburg. A short run down I-5 gets you to Grants Pass, from there you can take 199 thru O'Brien thence onward to pick up 101 on the coast.

Can't go wrong with either of these routes, especially if you can manage to fit in that backwoods road on the east side of St Helen's...

Cheers!

+1 on what Darryl suggested, ... take 199 thru O'Brien Then take Waldo Road to Happy Camp Road to Hwy 96 thence onward to pick up 101 on the coast.

Can't go wrong with either of these routes, especially if you can manage to fit in that backwoods road on the east side of St Helen's...

Cheers!

There fixed

My suggestion is do not miss riding in Montana. It is 500 miles from Seattle to Flathead lake. I can and will assist your trip and would enjoy the meeting.

Last week I rode a 1987 K100RS from Richmond Virgina to Seattle. Day 4 was Fargo ND to Roundup MT using MT Hwy 200. At least take 3 days to ride over the Going to the Sun road in Glacier Park. You have lots of beach in Oz not so much with the mountains. PM me if you like.

Normally I wouldn't quote a comment this large but there really isn't much to add, Except:

"...ride up WA-9 to Arlington, go east on 530 to Darrington and north to 20 Concrete, then take WA-20 East over the Cascades..."
Continue East on 155 to the Grand Coulee Dam and follow the coastline of Banks Lake to US 2 to US 2/97 and then continue South on 97 as prescribed.
You will AMAZED as to the degree of environmental diversity Washington State has to offer. This loop is a must. As is seeing Mt. St. Helens Volcano later on.

~ Jim

The entire US west coast is loaded with absolutely great riding. Stay off I-5.

In Seattle, go to Cafe Veloce in Kirkland. If your timing coincides, and especially if the weather is nice, go to the VME meeting.

Do the 3 Passes Tour in Washington: ride up WA-9 to Arlington, go east to Darrington and north to Concrete, then take WA-20 over the Cascades. Go south on US-97 and over Blewitt Pass, then come back west to Seattle over Snoqualmie Pass.

Of course, ride down to Mt. Rainier and ride through the park. Take WA-410 from Enumclaw over a flank of the mountain and then WA-123 to US-12. Make a right at Morton and take WA-7 back to Seattle.

On your way to Oregon, go around the east side of Mt. St. Helens. (You could do this after riding around Rainier, starts from the same place.) Take US-12 to Randle, then take Forest Service (FS) 25 south. This wonderful road takes you to Carson at the Columbia River. Cross at the Bridge of the Gods, which will often put the fear into a rider because of both it being an open grated deck bridge and the wind whistling down the Columbia Gorge.

Portland is a beautiful city, but you could go east to Hood River and take OR-35 around Mt. Hood to US-26 to US-97 to Redmond. Turn west on OR-126, but take OR-242 at Sisters. It rejoins OR-126, which you could take all the way to the coast at Florence and US-101.

The rest is easy: take US-101 to Leggett, CA, make a right onto CA-1 and ride until you get to SF. :)

I'd like to meet up with you and talk about riding in Australia which we're planning to do in January, 2014. We live adjoining Seatac airport and can likely provide some local services when you arrive. I can also provide additional routing suggestions to the already excellent suggestions you've received. PM me for contact info. I'm in the Anon book in Burien.

Tim

Back