• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Chasing The Sun -- Morro Bay & The Fungal Bunch

I

ian408

Over in the campfire, plans were made & remade for what's become something of an
annual event. The Fungal Ride.

This year, the northern contingent bailed for a variety of reasons. We made a decision to
head South instead. Our destination? Morro Bay. A lovely state park south of the town
of Morro Bay.

Dave & Tina and their friend Colby met Stephen, Sharon and I at Casa Burnzilla.

211247812-M.jpg

A quick trip to Darryl's to pick him up. Check out the view. That's Monterey Bay in
the background.

211248886-M.jpg

We had a peek at a vintage bike. This beauty is receiving TLC. Darryl started it up
and there were a bunch of guys standing around like kids in a candy store.

211249946-M.jpg

Here he is showing off more vintage goodness.

211250814-M.jpg

We met skippy the dog. I was mean and teased him with a danish...

211254554-M.jpg

After all that vintage goodness, a coffee and danish, we were off. Darryl in the
lead. He took us through the back roads he knows so well to King City where we
dined on Mexican food at a small place in the middle of town.

One of the roads we did ride was Carmel Valley Road (G16). I've ridden this a few times
and I'll say it again. If you find yourself in the area, you owe yourself a ride down this
wonderful motorcylists road.

211257340-M.jpg

Here we are at the Taqueria.

211259818-M.jpg

The food was delicious.

211261725-M.jpg

Dave is nutz.

211263385-M.jpg

We got a late start and with an hour or so to ride yet, we decided to head out to
46 and the coast. At least some of us did. Burnzilla and Sharon went North when
we went South--whoops.

Arriving at the park, we got camp set up, grabbed a bite to eat and then walked back
for four bundle fire.

211264195-M.jpg

Apparently, we picked the campsite right below the bird bathroom...no one escaped the
birds. But I think Darryl got the worst of it.

211265039-M.jpg

We made a bit of a dent in the 'Mouthwash'.

211267840-M.jpg

Here's what our campfire looked like in the morning.

211266859-M.jpg

I don't have many pictures from Sunday. I'd made a decision to slab it home after
discovering a missing bolt on the exhaust. I was able to make a better repair (than
zip ties). I'm getting ahead of myself.

After packing up on Sunday, the destination of Santa Margarita & Tina's Place became
the destination for breakfast. Here, we lost Dave and Tina. They mistakenly headed
back out 46 to 101 and Paso Robles. We on the other hand, headed out to 58.

211269491-M.jpg

Breakfast was great. The help wonderful and an enjoyable conversation after which,
we gassed up and headed our separate ways.

As I mentioned, I was able to make a better repair usng some wire to fix the hanger
and decided to head out to the coast for the remaining 100 or so miles to Monterey.

Not too many pictures as traffic sucked and I wanted to make time. Some kind of
bicycle thing didn't make it any easier.

I stopped in the funky hamlet of Big Sur for a snack and beverage. I never realized
there was a library there?

211270759-M.jpg

All in all, it was a great trip. I travelled roads I never knew about that are in my
own backyard. Got to see a fantastic vintage bike and get a history lesson too. Plus
I got to hang out with some great people.

I guess the first annaual YB West Coast Rally was a huge success :D

Great report, Ian. Thanks for all the pictures. It's kiiling me that you guys were so close. I couldn't make it over because of a work thing on Saturday night. Glad you all enjoyed yourselves and everyone returned safe and sound.

Well, safe anyway.

Oh, and bummer about the bird bathroom. Yikes.

OK, I'm lazy, so I'm just gonna glom onto Ian's thread and stick my pictures up here.

You've been on a ride before, so you know the drill. There's some hanging around in various gas stations with other folks wearing cordura. Since some folks still have helmets on, some conversations are sprinkled with ample amounts of "what? say that again?".

But these opportunities have something else in common, no matter where you go - big grins.

Here's a couple. That would be MrsBurnszilla on the left, MrsKbasa and Mr. Burnszilla.

211610961-L.jpg

And, at the end of the day, you'll probably get to do some of this kind of activity. Set up the tent. Change out of your sweaty riding clothes. Crack open a beer and hang with your riding buddies.

Yessuh. This is what it's all about.

If you can get a nice sunset under a humongous eucalyptus tree, so much the better.

211614451-L.jpg

And, of course, if you can walk to food, well, so much the better. Tina likes Clam Chowder in a breadbowl after a good day on the road.

211616128-L.jpg

Highly recommended in Morro Bay, CA. It's a short walk from the campground and a short stumble to your tent from here.

211621924-L.jpg

Repeat this until your eyes fall out of your head. Stay up until 2am talking about bikes, camping, college pranks and other random BS with a friend.

Yes. The campfire.

Caveman TV.

211631714-L.jpg

The next morning, have some tea or coffee. Have some gummi bears to get the blood sugar rolling. Pack up your home sweet home and get ready to hit the road.

Oh, yessuh. The ride down was a ball, but it's time to find some food.

211632460-XL.jpg

Back