• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is BMW more different now?

To add more fuel to the fire, the following is BMW sales figures from the Ashpalt and Rubber blog:

"As far as model go, the BMW R1200GS series still reigns supreme, accounting for 28,866 units in total worldwide (18,413 units for the R1200GS, 10,453 for the R1200GS Adventure). The GS dominance continues with the F800GS selling 9,829 units worldwide, and was followed closely by the BMW R1200RT (9,540 units) & BMW S1000RR (9,044 units). Meanwhile, the recently launched K1600GT/GTL accounted for 8,019 units, while the rest of the line-up broke down as follows; F800R (7,986 units), R1200R (7,310 units), and the F650GS (6,145 units). "

To add more fuel to the fire, the following is BMW sales figures from the Ashpalt and Rubber blog:

"As far as model go, the BMW R1200GS series still reigns supreme, accounting for 28,866 units in total worldwide (18,413 units for the R1200GS, 10,453 for the R1200GS Adventure). The GS dominance continues with the F800GS selling 9,829 units worldwide, and was followed closely by the BMW R1200RT (9,540 units) & BMW S1000RR (9,044 units). Meanwhile, the recently launched K1600GT/GTL accounted for 8,019 units, while the rest of the line-up broke down as follows; F800R (7,986 units), R1200R (7,310 units), and the F650GS (6,145 units). "

how do these numbers compare to other brands' models sales? great numbers, but compared to what?

so yeah this whole thing has been kicked around the block once or twice. if there's any issue with redundancy, perhaps the redundancy is with the OP's entire concept. tho i get his point. IS BMW different now than they were "then"?
of course. they opt for a smaller slice of the market pie, while [trying to keep] leading in technological advances and innovations... well, that's the concept, anyway.

here are a couple points i'd like to make about BMW and what they are doing, satisfying my own pet peeves, and expressing my own opinions... i'll pick at the OP's article/post, addressing specific points where i feel i am qualified for an opinion.

RE: BMW-
first of all, HAVE they moved away from the "Old Man's Bike" status?

let's look at this from the viewpoint of say- a 20 year old. very few YOUNG humans (in his age bracket) are going to be able to afford ANY [new] BMW. does a 34 year old guy appear "old" to a 20 year old? you recall being 20 AT ALL? so in this context, YES BMWs are STILL an "old man's bike" (IMO)

are they STILL innovating?

well considering that "recent" BMW models sport chain drives, maybe not so much, eh? if innovation consists of suddenly intro'ing assorted entries into formerly ignored markets, then yes BMW is "innovating". rehashing the Boxer motor to include liquid-cooling is NOT "innovating", per se- liquid cooled motorcycles have been around for a while. can you work on your brand new BMW? not as easily as ever before, so if innovating means more proprietary BS and computer generated and maintained systems that you can't touch- then sure, they are right out there with everyone else, innovating their bikes away from self service. (QUALIFIER- i admit to not having paid attention at all to the new models, so am likely ignorant of actual nuances in innovations and advances in new/recent models & model lines)

IMO BMW is farther than they ever have been from appearing to give two flying fiddler's flips what their oh-so-loyal (and ever shrinking- with more choices than ever before, the markets are split across a wider spectrum of available products) customer base wants or needs. furthermore, i see them as kind of flailing about, struggling to keep up in a quickly changing world. moving forward and backward at the same time, going in 12 different (figuratively speaking) directions instead of staying with just one or two or three model lines. seeking broader market-share status. so yeah, in that regard, they certainly are different than ever before.

i dunno. few, if any "new" BMWs appeal to me. and not just because i couldn't afford one. my two BMWs are an 88 K100 and a 93 R100RS. both bikes have about 50K on the clock. they do what i need them to do, and they do it adequately (and comparatively - my other bikes are vintage Brits) well. and they do it with STYLE. beyond 1993 (in model years), i don't see anything that REALLY makes my blood pump. if they intro'd a "retro" model, as i said earlier, & elsewhere, i'd probably go out and get one, as i've had a hankerin for a new bike lately..

at the end of the day, however (IMO), all this becomes so much blah blah blah, in light of several things, all listed above.

MY bottom line:

i love my BMWs, and will, to the extent that i DO love my BMWs, remain loyal to the "brand". my local BMW dealership has a good service department that tends to my needs in a good and reasonably expedient fashion, and there's a guy around the corner who is an airhead freak, to whom i take my RS from time to time, so my overall needs balance out in that i get what i need, who i need it from, when i need it. my "vintage" (or classic) bikes seem to have just really gotten well broken in.

i'll continue to ride my BMWs across this fantastic country.
i'll wave and smile when we pass.

Last edited:
Back