• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salty Fog Riders Rally 2011: The Report

While I sort through a few more pictures and await on the arrival of some 'shots from the road' pics, I wanted to point out that the local Guysborough, Nova Scotia newspaper ran a little story about the rally in a November edition. Got to love those local papers!

JournalArticle.jpg

Maybe we can get live coverage next time :dunno

This is the route for our first of three days on the road. It will cover about 150 miles. We will take a small cable ferry over to Little Narrows on the Bras d'Or Lakes and over to Grand Narrows by bridge. Following 216 we turn right on Chapel Rd for the fascinating experience of crossing a tiny isthmus, with somewhat of a road on it, on the lakes. Riding up Chapel Road we head west on 4 to Rita's Tea Room for lunch. We then return on 4 to 22 for the road to Louisbourg and camping on the waterfront. Walking distance to restaurant, theater and beer.

Basic map of the route:

LRtoLouisbourgMap.jpg

.... that's 80 kilometers per hour.

P1010125.jpg

Last edited:
Keep the info and pic's coming. my wife and I stayed at point of view in Louisbourg and had a ball. A group of caravanners from across the pond set up camp at the RV sites and we enjoyed each others company.

About 11 a.m. we turn off the Trans Canada onto the secondary road 223 which takes us down to the small cable ferry crossing to Little Narrows. (we arrange a group rate for all riders; one dollar rather than five).

DSCN7640.jpg
SFRR Archieve Photo 2010

DSCN7641.jpg
SFRR Archieve Photo 2010

Last edited:
Leaving the boat we meander along 216 and get chased by a few dogs (a couple of whom stopped their hedonistic pleasures to join in the chase) as we pass through the village of Eskasoni. Without incident we arrive at Chapel Road across a small Bras d'Dor Lake inlet.

BobsPictures192.jpg

BobsPictures198.jpg

And now to Rita's Tea Room in Big Pond. Rita is a musical treasure in Nova Scotia but in no place more so than on Cape Breton Island. Nothing like tea, lunch and fine china to lead the way to three nights of camping.

Tea_Room_Contact.jpg
(stock photo until I can find our group picture)

P1010196.jpg

Last edited:
At's the spirit!

Sept 3-7 with early arrival accepted on the 2nd. Way important to many of US :usa
is all the really great riding & sightseeing you will want to do ahead & after the "Salty".
Just going there & back home is an excellent adventure!
04R1150R... "Breathing is easy...Living takes effort!"

Great pictures. I'm trying to find someone locally to ride up this year. I wanted to check out PEI last year but that leaking seal in my rear drive had me a little concerned (OK more that 'a little') and I wanted to get back to the states in case it got worse.
Didn't want to break down in a 'foreign' country.

For some demented reason it still amazes me that the ATMs in Canada pay out in Canadian money. :doh

Harry

DSC07299.jpg

For some demented reason it still amazes me that the ATMs in Canada pay out in Canadian money. :doh
Harry
DSC07299.jpg

Hey Harry, I'm always amazed that American ATMs always pay out money all in the same colour green; no blues, purples, browns, reds, etc. :dunno :laugh:laugh:laugh

Glad that you got home safely with that rear drive leaking seal.

Hey Harry, I'm always amazed that American ATMs always pay out money all in the same colour green; no blues, purples, browns, reds, etc. :dunno :laugh:laugh:laugh

Glad that you got home safely with that rear drive leaking seal.

Just try and use Canadian money at a vendor at an MOA rally :nono In Bloomsburg I told them that if they do they can make a few EXTRA cents on the dollar :thumb Cripes you'd think I was givin' them Canadian Tire Money!

.... now back to our regularly scheduled program :lurk - Bob

... We were hoping that Rita would join us for bit but she was away. The manager said that next year (2012) we could likely get a photo-op. We'll see. So, as we venture in, with lots of ATGATT.

BobsPictures218.jpg

Texas shows us how it's done....

BobsPictures214.jpg

P1010184.jpg

A group picture in front of the Tea Room is arriving shortly and I will inject it back into this post.

- Bob

Last edited:
Onward to Louisbourg and the first night of camping (on the road). Although campfires are not allowed (town limits) a great time was had at http://louisbourg.com/motorhomepark/

What great hosts they have been to us from the beginning!! Group pricing and wonderful hospitality. Walk to restaurants, beer and live theater. The live theater is a highlight on the journey.

DSC05547.jpg

DSC05558.jpg

DSC00636-1.jpg

DSC00640-1.jpg

Next..... food and theater and tomorrow the Fortress :dance

Off to supper at the Lobster Kettle.

SaltyFog055.jpg

Not that I want to suggest that there is anything mystical about this tour but...

Then to some live theater at the Louisbourg Playhouse. A Night In A Cape Breton Kitchen. This is a wonderful introduction to the music and stories of magical Cape Breton Island[/SIZE][/B]

...and to cap off the night, a few calls to loved ones.... in a room set aside for us to gather.

DSC05522.jpg

Last edited:
"phone'in home" to tell'em about the BIG slice-a-pie he didn't order at Rita's! See him look'in at it about 10 pics back... "the pie is large along the shore of lake Big Bras d Or" ... just sayin! :doh :eat .. he gets style points at "tea sipp'in" though!

Not high quality video, and a different fiddle player (we heard Rachel Davis and not Beverly MacLean) who is in this clip, but this was the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vqq5F6LkCg

2010 was a funny show. Lot of comedy in that one. The story telling coupled with the music makes two hours literally fly by. (BTW, the woman playing guitar and sitting on that 'drum box' above is the the 'old lady' dancing at the beginning of the video). And the intermission oat cake and tea was a great touch. - Bob

(BTW, the woman playing guitar and sitting on that 'drum box' above is the the 'old lady' dancing at the beginning of the video). And the intermission oat cake and tea was a great touch. - Bob

That's Erin Martell, skinny girl, she has to run around in the shower to get wet. We heard her in 2009, and Jennifer Roland played fiddle in '09.

One of these years, I want to find Natalie McMaster at a Cape Breton show or Ceilidh. I've loved her playing for at least 15 years.

For those who were interested, Fortress Louisbourg is a magnificent reconstruction and reenactment.

Backgrounder:

Quoted from The Fortress Louisbourg Association ( http://www.fortressoflouisbourg.ca/Overview/mid/12 ): "The Fortress of Louisbourg is the largest reconstruction project in North America. The original settlement was founded in 1713 by the French and developed over several decades into a thriving center for fishing and trade. Fortified against the threat of British invasion during the turbulent time of empire-building, Louisbourg was besieged twice before finally being destroyed in the 1760s." "So come experience living history at the Fortress Louisbourg. You can explore on your own, take a guided tour, or view daily demonstrations of music, dancing, cooking, military drills, and much more. Take home a taste of the past with bread from the King’s Bakery and sweets from the Destouches Coffee Shop. You can even purchase 18th century replica gifts and Fortress memorabilia from our 1744 Boutiques."

(note: some Salty Fog archives pics mixed in. Thanks to Tom McGee for many archives)

You can enter..... after a few questions to be sure that you are not enemies.

DSC00656-1.jpg

DSC03008.jpg

DSC00653-1.jpg

DSC03039-1.jpg

DSC00662.jpg

DSC00682.jpg

BobsPictures293.jpg

BobsPictures290.jpg

DSC03081-1.jpg

.. after a visit to the Fortress (or any other venue that may be of interest i.e. Glace Bay Miners Museum and Tour (http://www.minersmuseum.com/), Marconi Museum (http://cbwireless.ednet.ns.ca/cbwirelessp5.html) , Bell Museum in Baddeck (http://www.visitbaddeck.com/attractions/bell.html) etc) , we arrange to meet at the second nights stay at the North Sydney KOA (http://www.koansct.com/ ) at the foot of the Cabot Trail (east side).

Back