• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which Way Do I Turn The Wheel WHen I Park?

bluejayrover

I am a new rider and have a 2012 F650 GS. Question: Which Way Do I Turn The Wheel When I Park? Most bikes I see parked have the front tire facing driver left but at BMW Performance Center they told us turn to Driver Right. You can only lock it with the key when turned Left so maybe that is a clue - any opinions? I know a stupid newbie question but I have to ask! No matter which way I turn it I alway feel the bike is going to tip over - so scary for a newbie! And does it matter if you are on a hill??

Thanks!

Jay

Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) curriculum says to turn the wheel to the left for added stability. In my experience this works the significant majority of the time, but on on rough and uneven terrain turning to the right sometimes feels right for me.

You say you are new to riding. Have you taken the MSF Basic Course?

Welcome to the forum, Jay! Please take some time to fill out your profile and signature line and tell us a bit about yourself.

The bike should be parked with the wheel turned toward the direction it leans when on the sidestand. This gives it additional stability when parked. Another reason to park in this manner, AND to lock your wheels is so just in case someone comes along and decides to climb on your bike, (it can happen) just to sit on it, they are much less likely to tip it over.

Since you are new, another tip. IF you own a motorbike with a center stand, and it is a windy day, do not use the center stand. Use the side stand, lean the bike into the wind, and make sure you lock the front wheels to keep them in place.

Even with my big GSA, the wind can nearly blow it over unless it is on the side stand. And the wind I'm talking is the stuff over about 30 -35 mph.

I've also been in winds gusting up to over 55 mph on a bike and my recommendation for that is STOP! That stuff is nasty to ride in.

Turn wheel to the left every time. It helps press maximum pressure (weight) on that side stand and keeps the bike stabily parked.

Lock forks if leaving unattended.

Enjoy every mile you put on! :dance

Sometimes the contrarian, unless I am in a tricky (grass, dirt, stones) spot, I stop, put down the sidestand, and get off, and take off my helmet. The front wheel finds its happy spot to the left. Oh, and I've never used a fork lock in my life. :)

I've always parked it with the whell to the left, also. However, at the BMW Performance Center when I took a course in June, a big point was made to turn the wheel to the right. It was pointed out that this makes it easier to grab the handlebars when you mount. I'm still turning the wheel to the left.

I think it depends on whether you are in the northern or southern hemisphere. Or maybe whether you are east or west of the International Date Line

I've always parked it with the whell to the left, also. However, at the BMW Performance Center when I took a course in June, a big point was made to turn the wheel to the right. It was pointed out that this makes it easier to grab the handlebars when you mount.
that's what I remember from the class too.
But I still go to the left;)

Parking with your front wheel turned right will make your bike lean further left.

With the wheel turned to the right, the center of your front wheel tread is on the ground, whereas parking with it turned left the tire is resting off the center of the tread, and slightly lower.

Ken

would it matter which side you mount/dismount on. I do on the right side. The bars are open like a door, easy to grab the bar/brake in mounting/dismount then.

NCS

I jump on from the back like they used to do in the old westerns.

I have looked at that... with the bags on... I think I would maybe get almost high enough before precious body parts would be impacting the rear rack and torn across the back of the seat followed by my face hitting the hump on the back of the tank... (to some that might be an improvement :thumb )

I generally do have the bars turned to the left unless I need the extra lean due to the surface grade making the bike have little lean, so then I do turn them to the right.

NCS

I usually park with the wheel pointed left. This seems to put more weight on the sidestand and feels more stable on level ground. Turning the bars to the right tends to make the bike stand more upright and makes me worry it will get knocked or blown over to the right.

At least, that's what I thought until a couple minutes ago...

I dug out my digital inclinometer, zeroed it to my generally flat garage floor and placed it on my gas cap to measure the actual angle from vertical on the sidestand.

Wheel to left: 10.9??
Wheel to right: 12.3??

So, turning to the RIGHT should actually be more stable on level ground.

Sadly, not the first time my perception of reality has been flawed.

Larry

FWIW, I have a simpler system which doesn't require any one-side-fits-all rules:

If I have any doubt about stability on the side stand when I park, I try both ways. I then leave the bike with the wheel turned in the most stable direction for the particular surface/incline where I've chosen to park. If neither way make me comfortable, I find another place to park.

It all depends what you ride.

I ride R1200C cruiser, and it already leans too far to the left, and moving my wheels to the ride makes it easy to get on, plus it appears to be in a more stable position. I worry that because it leans sooo much to the left, that it might even fall if someone was to push it from right to left position.

When leaving unattended, I have no choice except to point the front wheel to the left to LOCK the bike.

When leaving unattended, I have no choice except to point the front wheel to the left to LOCK the bike.
I've noticed a couple folks mention this. Every R11/1150/12/K-bike I've owned will allow you to turn the ignition key to the locked position with the bars full left OR full right. I'm not aware of BMW doing this any differently on any individual models.

Wheel to left: 10.9??
Wheel to right: 12.3??

So, turning to the RIGHT should actually be more stable on level ground.
Maybe, maybe not. Turning the wheel to the left places the tire point of contact with the ground further out in front of the bike than when turned to the right. The longer wheelbase and different geometry relative to the side stand and rear wheel contact points can add stability in some situations, potentially canceling out the 2-3 degree greater lean.

Back