• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW System 6

moralem

I understand that it is not possible for us in the US to get this helmet and I understand that we can't ride across the border either and just buy one. Do any of our Canadian brethen wear these helmets and would they be worth the effort to import them from the UK? I know the Schubreth is back in the states now but I read so much about the BMW System I thought I would inquire.

I just replaced my Schuberth C1 with a System 6. Canada accepts the European ECE certification as with Germany,France, Great Britain, Australia and Japan. ( And probably many more).

And why not the USA? Good question. Probably some political BS as per usual much to the chagrin of consumers. DOT standards are a joke compared to the German TUV. But that's my own opinion having lived there for four years. Anyway, here's a scan of my operating instructions.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1,648
And why not the USA? Good question. Probably some political BS as per usual much to the chagrin of consumers. DOT standards are a joke compared to the German TUV. But that's my own opinion having lived there for four years.

The standards in questing, ECE R22-05 vs DOT FMVSS 218, are quite similar. Any helmet which meets one will quite likely meet the other. R22-05 is newer. On a purely technical basis FMVSS 218 limits shock to 250 Gs. The ECE R22-05 limit is 275 Gs. Less is better!

As for why the System 6 isn't DOT approved... BMW didn't add the necessary labels and hire a lab to test the helmets. That's about all it takes. You'll have to ask BMW why not.

You'll have to ask BMW why not.

Liability? BMW stopped selling BMW branded helmets in the US because it exposed the giant car company to the risk of huge, questionable lawsuits. Probably the risk isn't worth the (financial) reward.

Liability?

No question mark necessary. I was told many years ago by a BMW employee that due to the litigious nature of the US market, BMW was no longer going to offer system helmets there. The potential exposure to lawsuits wasn't worth the risk based on the likely profits from helmet sales.

... due to the litigious nature of the US market, BMW was no longer going to offer system helmets there.

It's rather surprising then that they even continue to sell murder-cycles here.

I'm a Canadian, and I have a BMW System 6 helmet and I like it a lot. I also looked at the Shuberth C3, but found that the System 6 was a better fit for me. The S6 is reasonably light and very quiet. It has a very solid feel, and the venting works well for me, although opening them does add a little more noise.

I have the BMW Communications System installed and paired to my 2011 R1200RT. The audio quality for voice communications, such as intercom or phone is acceptable, but it really lacks the fidelity for music.

I had heard that Canadian BMW dealers were asking purchasers of this helmet to sign an agreement not to resell them to the US. My dealer didn't ask this of me.

Cheers, Jack

I'm a Canadian, and I have a BMW System 6 helmet and I like it a lot. I also looked at the Shuberth C3, but found that the System 6 was a better fit for me. The S6 is reasonably light and very quiet. It has a very solid feel, and the venting works well for me, although opening them does add a little more noise.

I have the BMW Communications System installed and paired to my 2011 R1200RT. The audio quality for voice communications, such as intercom or phone is acceptable, but it really lacks the fidelity for music.

I had heard that Canadian BMW dealers were asking purchasers of this helmet to sign an agreement not to resell them to the US. My dealer didn't ask this of me.

Cheers, Jack

When I called a BMW dealer in Canada they told me that you had to show ID before they could sell someone a helmet. They also said if BMW found out that they were selling them to the US they would lose the right to sell them in Canada.

Any chance we could work out an arrangment to have you obtain a helmet for me....I have looked at the Schuberths but would like the originality of the BMW system and if the helmet passes European standards that is good enough for me. I am sure that guys riding the autobahn aren't worried that their helmets don't meet DOT or Snell standards.

I am a trusting sort and would provide the funds up front for purchase and shipping. How much does one cost in US dollars.

As a Canadian rider who sometimes visits the states, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this. The information should also be invaluable to US riders who might want a Canadian friend to purchase a BMW helmet for them. Please correct any of my following assumptions that are wrong:

1. If I was wearing a BMW helmet in a "helmet required" state and had an accident, I would be charged for not wearing a DOT approved helmet, no matter who or what caused the accident. (If you DON'T have an accident and are pulled over for speeding, I can't imagine a LEO checking for a DOT sticker - but I could be wrong about that too.)

2. Insurance in the event of a head injury for a Canadian wearing a BMW helmet and crashing in the US is open to question. Seems to me, all of you in the US are screwed if you are wearing a BMW helmet (see post 2.)

3. Am I correct that some states 1. do not require a helmet, 2. require a helmet, but not DOT certified (ie. "beenies" are OK,) and 3. require a DOT certified helmet? Just insane.

4. Very slowly, I'm coming around to the "no helmet requirement." Ever greater helmets for those of thus that wear them, few law suits and lower prices. An interesting statistic (no I can't verify it) is that there are about as many riders wearing ATGATT in long term care as those that didn't even wear helmet. Expanation: you don't need long term care if you are dead.

I am a trusting sort and would provide the funds up front for purchase and shipping. How much does one cost in US dollars.

Call Atlantic Motoplex@ 506-383-1022 ask for Karen. See what they can do for you.

Price in Canadian and US dollars is practically the same. You would have to add the cost of shipping/insurance and associated duties.

Even with my $100 discount, the helmet was $900 after taxes.

Attachments

• scan0001.1.jpg
    scan0001.1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,402
Call Atlantic Motoplex@ 506-383-1022 ask for Karen. See what they can do for you.

Price in Canadian and US dollars is practically the same. You would have to add the cost of shipping/insurance and associated duties.

Even with my $100 discount, the helmet was $900 after taxes.

For that kind of money I could (and did) buy two Scorpion EXO 700 helmets and a BMW Air Shell jacket. I'm sure the BMW helmet is nice, but jeez...

For that kind of money I could (and did) buy two Scorpion EXO 700 helmets and a BMW Air Shell jacket. I'm sure the BMW helmet is nice, but jeez...

Yeah, I know it is a lot of money, but then I would be the only one on my block with one! And I heard the same thing from my friends about getting a Concours 14 or a Sprint ST and putting the rest of the money in my pocket. In stead I got the RT and will probably figure out a way to get the BMW helmet if not from Canada from Europe. It just that the place in Europe does not have the xxl size that I want.

I will give the Atlantic folks a call and see what they say, but I suspect everyone one is regulation phobic and won't want to break any rules............

So far, nobody has answered my questions on post #9 of this thread.

The insurance questions are my biggest worries. A helmet that is not DOT-approved, be it ever so great, gives those insurance companies a reason to deny payment in the event of an accident and the law another reason to fine you.

It would be good if some "legal eagles" from the US set us all straight. As usual, I could be wrong.

I am no attorney but I would suspect that as long as there is no specific exclusion in the insurance policy you would be covered. In Texas we are not required to wear a helmet so if I were in an accident with a non DOT helmet there would be no problems since there is no expectation that I must wear a helmet at all. And what about not wearing a seatbelt and being involved in an accident, you still have coverage. It all depends I imagine on what your motor or health insurance excludes.

1. If I was wearing a BMW helmet in a "helmet required" state and had an accident, I would be charged for not wearing a DOT approved helmet, no matter who or what caused the accident. (If you DON'T have an accident and are pulled over for speeding, I can't imagine a LEO checking for a DOT sticker - but I could be wrong about that too.)

Not likely. You are wearing a protective helmet. I haven't heard of many riders being charged for wearing obviously fake, unapproved helmets.

2. Insurance in the event of a head injury for a Canadian wearing a BMW helmet and crashing in the US is open to question. Seems to me, all of you in the US are screwed if you are wearing a BMW helmet (see post 2.)

Which insurance? Medical, or liability? If someone else causes the accident, their insurance most likely pays. You'd have to ask a lawyer if an unapproved helmet would get another driver off the hook for causing an accident. I doubt that it would.

3. Am I correct that some states 1. do not require a helmet, 2. require a helmet, but not DOT certified (ie. "beenies" are OK,) and 3. require a DOT certified helmet? Just insane.
Yes, quite a few states do not require helmets. Beenies are never okay, they are unapproved and illegal. And probably half the riders in states that require approved helmets are wearing these unapproved helmets. The cops probably figure Darwin can deal with the issue.

4. Very slowly, I'm coming around to the "no helmet requirement." Ever greater helmets for those of thus that wear them, few law suits and lower prices. An interesting statistic (no I can't verify it) is that there are about as many riders wearing ATGATT in long term care as those that didn't even wear helmet. Expanation: you don't need long term care if you are dead.

Keep in mind that a white helmet lowers your accident rate by 24 percent compared to a black helmet (New Zealand study). So I wear a white helmet only partly to protect my head. It only protects my head when I crash, but it helps protect all of me all the time because it allows me to be more noticeable in traffic.

Harry

Last edited:
Keep in mind that a white helmet lowers your accident rate by 24 percent compared to a black helmet (New Zealand study). So I wear a white helmet only partly to protect my head. It only protects my head when I crash, but it helps protect all of me all the time because it allows me to be more noticeable in traffic.

I finally got a hold of a friend in Manchester and will getting a helmet through him. In fact the price is much cheaper at 395 pounds than getting it from Canada In US dollars that is just over 600.....about what the Schuberth is going for inmthe states $699. Of course I have to pay the shipping costs and VAT but figure it just might be worth it. In fact I am selecting the silver white helmet for cospicouity reasons. Would have preferred the high glow yellow but none were in stock.

Back