• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need a quieter Helmet

Thanks for the excellent advice Gents I'm going to buy either a Shoei or the Shuberth. and get some custom earplugs.. I'm going to also look at pulling the guts out of a BOSE noise reduction headset and try and retro fit it into my full face Bell. I have a noise reduction headset in our airplane and those things are remarkable. And the price of those units has really come down the last couple of years.. I wonder if the future is ANR [ active noise reduction ] in motorcycle helmets.

Nick hang fire purchasing the Shoei Multitec for a couple of months,

They have a new multitec called the Neotec it has the slide down sun visor

I tried it on at the Milan show last week, very nice too.

They are claiming lighter weight, increased visibility, and better ventilation (although my Multitech seems "ventilated" enough). Increased peripheral "viewage" would definitely be welcome however. Internal sun visor... I don't know, it's hard enough to keep both sides of the front visor clean, the added two surfaces... I'll stick with my Serengetis. Removable interior!!! Breath guard and shin curtain, available in three shell sizes, ... you bet.

But will we ever see it here in the States? :dunno

Shoei Neotec

42743_1_zoom.jpg

features.png

They are claiming lighter weight, increased visibility, and better ventilation (although my Multitech seems "ventilated" enough). Increased peripheral "viewage" would definitely be welcome however. Internal sun visor... I don't know, it's hard enough to keep both sides of the front visor clean, the added two surfaces... I'll stick with my Serengetis. Removable interior!!! Breath guard and shin curtain, available in three shell sizes, ... you bet.

But will we ever see it here in the States? :dunno

Looks like a nice helmut, but they don't indicate it's weight. That was the biggest drawback with the Nolan 103. My neck could really feel the weight. Hopefully, it's not too heavy.

"But will we ever see it here in the States?"

Revzilla and Competition Accessories both list it on their sites...with a bit of info indicating a spring '12 release is planned.

I'm hoping the Shoei booth at the International Motorcycle Show in December in Seattle has some Neotecs to try on... This "could" be the helmet that would replace two aging helmets in my collection...

Cheers!

Hi Gents
I own a 1978 R/80 and have ridden it for 5 seasons now. One nagging issue I have is that under some high power conditions the the engine noise sets up this resonance in my ears that is hard to handle. I have a Bell full face helmet and always use new earplugs. I want to keep the bike but I need to get a handle on this painful noise problem. I'm looking for a new Full face helmet with the best noise reduction out there.Any suggestions? Do riders ever install a BOSE noise canceling headset in there helmets?
Thanks in Advance
The word "resonance" struck me. Are you sure that you're "hearing" something external? Could it be vibrations from the bike affecting your inner ear? I ask because I've ridden my fair share of motorcycles and I've never had an experience where a pair of earplugs worked dramatically more or less depending on the motorcycle.

I have a lot more noise in my helmet lately, almost always wear a set of custom made ear plugs.

When they are" in and i am wearing my Shoei Multi Tech " the noise is pretty bad.
If i open the visor the noise is less ??
Do not like to ride that way as the wind bothers my eyes behind my glasses.

If I take the ear plugs "out " and wear the same helmet the noise is a lot less ???

I tried a couple of different styles of ear plugs with about the same results ??

If I scrunch down behind my Parabellum wind screen and look through it , there is very little noise.
I cannot stay in that position very long and do not like looking through all four
( glasses, helmet shield ,with a pin lock ,and then a windscreen)

Suggestions ?????????????

C3 +1

I've tried a lot of helmets and really liked the Nolan 103 until I bought a Schubert C3. It doesn't fit me quite as well as the Nolan but the ventilation is good, it's extremely well made and really quiet.

I've tried ear plugs but wonder about the safety factor - I want to ensure that I can hear what's going on around me and with the ear plugs I felt limited.

FWIW, Lowe's sells 3M ear plugs (hot pink or grape purple) that do a good job on "dimming" wind noise while letting car noises, sirens, etc. through.

there is a LOT

of information on helmets and noise at webbikeworld.
there are several theories, causes, effects, etc. concerning this old issue.

helmet fit IS a key factor. head shapes vary, and some of (if not all) the higher end helmets have interchangeable padding within so the fit may be *tweaked* or customized for YOUR best fit. Arai is famous for this and by now other makers have followed their lead.

in my own experience, (when i bought an Arai) the dealership evaluated my head shape, then put me in a smaller helmet- extra small, compared to a small, which is what i would have bought. they then switched the inner pads out until the fit was just right.

Webbikeworld's theory on helmets is there are two types- loud and louder.
i see that the new Schuthbert C3
comes with noise reduction accessories(?):

Top Aeroacoustics
-Less than 84dB at 60 MPH on a motorcycle without fairing
-Integrated acoustic collar and removable anti-noise pad
-Optimized in Schuberths wind tunnel -Reduced noise level assists riders concentration and attentiveness; traffic noises can still be heard

http://www.motosupply.com/helmets-h....html?osCsid=2dad2f490fef97b35f2c80c8196bce24

you may buy an acoustic collar to reduce wind noise from around the edges of your helmet, one likely source of noise. there have been other threads on this noise problem and a solid look around the webbikeworld site for helmet noise testing and theories will produce good result, by way of educating yourself on the possibilities.

here's a start for you:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/helmet-noise.htm

cheers and good luck.

instead of buying a new helmet have Westone make you a pair of ear plugs. they are about $100.00 and that includes having an authorized Westone audiologist make the impressions. these work much better then any foam plug i have every used.

instead of buying a new helmet have Westone make you a pair of ear plugs. they are about $100.00 and that includes having an authorized Westone audiologist make the impressions. these work much better then any foam plug i have every used.

I see you're in Westchester. Where did you go to have them made? Thanks!

Which earplugs?

I use Howard Leight "Max."

These are the bright orange foam earplugs with a NRR of 33, the highest I've found.

NRR = noise reduction ratio.

The higher the NRR, the quieter.

Harry

I have many different types of generic (non-fitted) earplugs, foam, rubber, valved, etc., as I also shoot alot of trap. A couple of years ago I bought a kit where you lay on your side and have someone pour goo in your ear which forms a mold, which you send that to a company that then makes a custom set of plugs. They came out ok, but I still feel that a mold made by a professional would have been better.

That was the reason I asked where his were made.

Thanks though.

I have many different types of generic (non-fitted) earplugs, foam, rubber, valved, etc., as I also shoot alot of trap. A couple of years ago I bought a kit where you lay on your side and have someone pour goo in your ear which forms a mold, which you send that to a company that then makes a custom set of plugs. They came out ok, but I still feel that a mold made by a professional would have been better.

That was the reason I asked where his were made.

Thanks though.

I tried one of those DIY kits, but could not get a decent earmold. I went to a local audiologist. She requested the resulting plugs be recessed and the filtered be set flush so as to not interfere with my helmet. Best money spent

+1

and have for many years... but now i buy them in bulk.

I use Howard Leight "Max."

These are the bright orange foam earplugs with a NRR of 33, the highest I've found.

NRR = noise reduction ratio.

The higher the NRR, the quieter.

Harry

Another C3 groupie!

For my particular head shape, the C3 fit well. Like most of us, I wear earplugs while riding. The C3+earplugs works great for me. I have molded plugs that plug into my Zumo.

Like the others have said, try on everything. Find a helmet that fits well.

Best of Luck
DC

Back