• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ALL R1200's (and other BMWs) - NHTSA investigation into fuel leaks progressing..

On the Hexheads, the QD isn't subjected to the same sort of heat. I have been upgrading them on a by-eye basis so far, but I upgrade all of the 11xx ones every time now.

HI, Anton, thanks for the input.
The term you use, "by-eye basis," does that mean you do not remove the tank solely to look for trouble, but if you have the tank off for some other reason then you will inspect and possibly replace?

John

I am an R1200R rider and materials engineer with automotive experience in metals and plastics.I have been involved in NHTSA recalls. From what I see in tribble99's photo, the problem looks to be one of environmental stress cracking--a combination of stresses in the component and some environmental factor that leads to cracking over time. The corrective action for such a problem is to either reduce the stresses or eliminate the environmental factor. The stresses can be from the tightening of the male fitting and/or from residual stresses in the plastic molded part.The environmental factor could be fuel related or it could be from external factors, such as service environment (i.e. heat, air pollutants, cleaning agents, etc.) I am not familiar with the band type fix for this issue, but one problem I can see with this approach is that injection molded plastic parts have draft on the surfaces, like bosses, which results in a taper. Hard to clamp on a taper. You also have surface cleanliness, which works to defeat adhesive repair attempts. Plastic molded parts typically have release agents applied to allow extraction after molding and this inhibits adhesive bonding repairs unless the surface is scuffed up. One other comment I have is that with a metal male fitting vs a plastic one, there is the possibility of developing higher stresses while tighening the metal one in an uncontrolled installation process.

This problem could be solved by having a metal top on the fuel pump assembly rather than plastic. I had to replace my fuel pump assembly and replaced all of the QD fittings with metal ones except for the male end that threads into the tapered plastic fuel pump assembly. Too easy to crack it!

07 RT1200 RT - Fuel Leak Last Week (NHTSA ID Number 10536814) - Follow up

All - Thank you for the good discussion (again, if I am posting in the wrong area, please move me) - BMW contacted me back today and told me what everyone prefaced they would tell me - Out of warranty, not original owner, costs are out of your pocket, "if" a recall happens, you "might" be reimbursed, but it is really out of BMW's hands. Thanks for being a BMW rider...

I took MarchyMan's advice and simply ordered a new OEM pump assembly from 2wheelpros.com - Cost was about $25.00 less than everyone else and I am going to try turning my own wrenches. Worst case scenario is I put the new assembly in and it doesn't work; then I go to closest dealer (50 miles) on a trailer and learn something new - Tough part is the incredible weather and being in a cage -

"Beyond my control" story was a bad decision by me and pushing a rear tire to get back home to IL from LA on a Sunday morning - Should have waited until Monday and replaced the tire with whatever I could find in Monroe - Pushed north and ended up stranded in Cape Girardeau, Mo (they are closed on Sundays and Mondays) - No damage to the bike, and with no trailer in town to rent, my wife had to come get me using a borrowed truck and trailer from friends... Really dumb choice by me that ended up costing me lots of money and a lot of 'atta boy' equity from my better half... So dumb...

Thanks again,
Tim

The term you use, "by-eye basis," does that mean you do not remove the tank solely to look for trouble, but if you have the tank off for some other reason then you will inspect and possibly replace?

On the 1200s, the QDs are right on top; no need to remove the tank. If things look new I generally don't bother to replace them, but eventually I do. It's not automatic... yet.

Back