• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

cycle world feb issue

Yes, but in the real world ... ??

BMW does not hold a candle to Yamaha or KTM in the dirt bike arena. I have had and still have all three. The BMW always stays home unless it is an improved dirt road and never crosses my mind when one truly goes offroad. We are talking no road at all! (offroad)

In my twelve years of enduro racing all over the US I never saw or competed against one BMW.

Jack

A friend of mine had a KTM Adventure. Said it was a great bike for it's purpose. He sold it after a trip to AK. Oil Changes are apparently a major production and when he was stuck needing a new tire, there were plenty to fit a KLR at the local tire shop, but none for a KTM. Not enough demand.

Just another couple of factors in the total cost of ownership.

His favorite bike is his R100GS.

And that is why they used them in the "Long Way Around", they didn't want to at first but were happy they did and then again in "Long Way Down",.................hmmmmmm?

And that is why they used them in the "Long Way Around", they didn't want to at first but were happy they did and then again in "Long Way Down",.................hmmmmmm?

Where the Ewan McCharlies whined about how it was so hard and proceeded to blow out the rear shock(s?). I'm not sure how much of an endorsement that was.

They also didn't have the Yamaha to choose from at the time.

Anyway, a little competition can only make the GS a better bike. Maybe a 1250 prototype would have faired better. Who knows, I probably won't read the article anyway.

Last edited:
Where the Ewan McCharlies whined about how it was so hard and proceeded to blow out the rear shock(s?). I'm not sure how much of an endorsement that was.

They also didn't have the Yamaha to choose from at the time.

Anyway, a little competition can only make the GS a better bike. Maybe a 1250 prototype would have faired better. Who knows, I probably won't read the article anyway.

The shocks that they blew were aftermarket Ohlins. That's not to say the stock Showa shocks would not have failed. Ohlins are wimpy for off road applications, alum bodied with a weak ring set up.

BMW does not hold a candle to Yamaha or KTM in the dirt bike arena. I have had and still have all three. The BMW always stays home unless it is an improved dirt road and never crosses my mind when one truly goes offroad. We are talking no road at all! (offroad)

In my twelve years of enduro racing all over the US I never saw or competed against one BMW.

Jack

They only made an enduro bike for 2 years, so you probably could only ride for those two and never see one, legitimately. BMW did ok in the extreme enduros around the world, and in Europe. They never bothered to introduce into the US market, there was a big deal going on with Scott Summers that fell through. Plus they picked probably the worst possible economy to enter the dirt world, again.

I myself raced a G450X in three ECEA enduros last year. My friend Jim S came in 3rd overall in Vet A in the NEtra series, and another dude from VA won the overall down there, so I see that they begin to hold a candle. They just sure as hell didnt have the factory behind them in any way, although the product was decent... just missing a few honest years of R+D.

But the original tpoic was adventure bikes, and the last best offroad adventure bike by BMW had an airhead. The rest are just mile-eaters.

The shocks that they blew were aftermarket Ohlins. That's not to say the stock Showa shocks would not have failed. Ohlins are wimpy for off road applications, alum bodied with a weak ring set up.

Interesting - I wonder how many others assumed it was a factory part failure - maybe it was just me

The bikes were over loaded, witness the scene in LWR with the pile of crap they left behind. Ewan & Charlie's bikes each had frames crack at weld points. Don't recall if shocks failed in LWR, maybe they kept the stock units? Maybe just a coincidence in LWD that Charley, the most experienced rider, did not have a suspension failure.

Back