• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

EAR PLUGS........what's the best / easiest to use ..??

I've been riding since 1962 (!) and just now am thinking of joining the "never ride W/O earplug" crowd........I just bought a beautiful 1999 R1100R with the BMW "factory" windscreen .. the wind noise inside my Shoei Multitec is unbelieveable / so I guess earplugs are the best solution ??
what's the general opinion / what really works...please....thanks !!

from the swamp..
JPFITZ

If you are still reading this thread, I guess you get the picture: our ear canals are as unique as our fingerprints. What works great and is comfortable for one can work lose, or never seat, or be truly uncomfortable for another.

I would suggest you buy SMALL quantities of as many brands/models of "disposable" ear plugs as you can find on the net. Pay attention to all those annoying details of moistening the plugs, lifting the ear lobe with the opposite hand as you insert the rolled up earplug, holding it in place with your index finger while it expands (and, as noted, too fast when hot and very slow when cold.) Also remember to pull out on the chin straps when you put on the helmet so you don't dislodge the plugs. Then perform the "stomp test." If your tromping feet sound like a bass drum in your head, the plugs are doing their job. Better to find this out before you hit the road, DAMHIK.

Custom plugs are not the solution for everyone either. I have two pairs and both are great when a helmet is not in the picture. Actually the left plug always does its job, but the right one is too easily dislodged despite my care in donning the helmet. So I use a disposable plug in the right ear.

I, like many but certainly not all, find earplugs a PIA. But they are worth the hassle, not only to protect your remaining hearing but for the peace they offer you on the road. Unless you are lucky, expect to spend some time and dollars finding the perfect solution for you. As a musician with some hearing loss, I have to tell you if I couldn't find effective ear plugs, I wouldn't ride.

I just read the Wiki on "noise induced hearing loss" & some interesting comments on anti-oxidant vitamins reducing hearing loss. Might be worth more research for someone that has something to save.

I carry three different types on my multi-day trips as I've found none that stay comfortable day after day. So I switch back and forth. For me, with my eccentric ear canal shape, the most comfortable are the soft silicone plugs that you hold in place till the material fills the canal. But having that warm moist air trapped behind them results in some itching long term.

Most external ear infections are fungal. A trick I learned in the Marine Corps where we wore plugs endlessly is to instill a couple of drops of alcohol (single malt works fine) or an astringent like witch hazel or dilute vinegar in each ear at the end of the day. Death to fungus! Hint: witch hazel instead of alcohol or vinegar if you have any sores or irritation in your ear canal. DAMHIK.

Most external ear infections are fungal. A trick I learned in the Marine Corps where we wore plugs endlessly is to instill a couple of drops of alcohol (single malt works fine) or an astringent like witch hazel or dilute vinegar in each ear at the end of the day. Death to fungus! Hint: witch hazel instead of alcohol or vinegar if you have any sores or irritation in your ear canal. DAMHIK.[/QUOTE

This is a very common problem to swimmers and divers (Swimmer's Ear). There are commercial products like "Ear-Dry" or "Swim-Ear" that accomplish the same thing. I always keep a couple of bottle of that stuff in my dive bag and the bike first aid kit.

For anyone looking for sample of the foam-type ear plugs, Aerostitch has a couple of sample packs to try:

http://www.aerostich.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=desc&order=relevance&p=2&q=ear

Most external ear infections are fungal. A trick I learned in the Marine Corps where we wore plugs endlessly is to instill a couple of drops of alcohol (single malt works fine) or an astringent like witch hazel or dilute vinegar in each ear at the end of the day. Death to fungus! Hint: witch hazel instead of alcohol or vinegar if you have any sores or irritation in your ear canal. DAMHIK.[/QUOTE

This is a very common problem to swimmers and divers (Swimmer's Ear). There are commercial products like "Ear-Dry" or "Swim-Ear" that accomplish the same thing. I always keep a couple of bottle of that stuff in my dive bag and the bike first aid kit.

Clearly you were in the army, not the Marines! :)

Thanks for serving.

Pete

Custom-made plugs are generally of hard material, and my helmets don't have enough clearance around my ears to avoid pressing on them uncomfortably. I get by fine with the HL orange ones from Walgreens.

+1

I had a custom pair made for me at a bike show last year but didn't have my helmet with me. Just putting the helmet on jarred them loose and there is no way they would ever work with my speakers installed in the helmet either. I was really hoping for the custom ones to work but alas, no. I have tried many different kinds much like Paul and they all eventually fall out or if they do stay in cause the inner ear to to be very painful after a couple of hours. I still use them but on long trips i can only stand them every other day because of the ear pain.

IMO, choosing the right solution here is like choosing the right pair of boots. You must try them on, so to speak. I would start with the foam type, they are inexpensive and you can try different levels of blocking to find the level you like. Overall, I found foam earplugs (when installed properly) to be a bit more quiet than the custom plugs, but not as comfortable. My left ear canal is narrower than my right, since my ear usually hurts when I wear foam earplugs for a long time (e.g. 4+ hours). Installing foam earplugs is more difficult.

I had a pair of custom earphone/earplugs made and they are more comfortable than the foam. They cut out the wind noise sufficiently to have the music on the lowest setting. I later decided to have a regular pair custom earplugs made by the same person; however, one earplug is just not perfect. However, if I coat the earplug in a light amount of petroleum jelly, the plugs go in easier and block out more noise. Vaseline makes a small tube for lips that I keep with me.

While I prefer the custom earplugs, I do carry the foam type and use them occasionally.

Yeah... BUT

OK, here we go...
This is going DEEP.

Like many folks, I, too, have hearing loss, from a very noisy life. Between work & fun, it is now both frustrating, and sometimes embarrassing, to not hear well enough for normal communications- much less communicating when it's critical in loud [work] environs.
Of course, you never miss the water, til the well runs dry! So these days, I do what I can (mostly) to protect my hearing, and will actually go get tested and buy hearing aids in 2013!

Having said that, I've been using the compressible "waxed" foam plugs which expand in the ear canal, same as have been mentioned in this thread, the E-A-R Classics. They are maybe the most effective at cutting db levels, in a disposable or non-custom ear plug. I get mine in handfuls from the EMTs where I work.
BUT as was also mentioned, all ear canals differ! Like snowflakes, no two are the same. The throw away plugs I use, will not fit into my GFs ear! Furthermore, a buddy uses them too- but because they stick out from his ear, they rub against his helmet liner, making perhaps more noise than without them in! He cuts them down so they don't protrude from his ear.

[MY] Conclusion: Custom Plugs. These (many of these) allow certain levels of sound to pass thru, but block harmful db levels. You can get them at many bike rallies, or at your local audiologist- heck maybe at Sears or Walmart, IF they have a Hearing Center. They are going to be under 100.00 and made to fit YOUR ear. Boom. Done. There are definitely custom ear plugs in my future.
Here is a link to some research on ear plugs & hearing protection from WebBikeWorld's review site:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm

A new helmet isn't the fix either- here is another link to a WBW.com helmet noise study:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/helmet-noise.htm

There are various devices to add to your gear kit, that help block the noise levels, like neck-rings, or collars, and whatnot- but who needs all the extra gak?

The Laminar Lip was mentioned- and I have a couple of them- which I find to be relatively effective.

However; tho no one has gone too deeply into it, the excessive noise is most likely the windshield- more specifically, the turbulence caused by the vacuum behind the windshield. This vacuum-induced turbulence, is known as the Von Karman Vortices. Yes, ear plugs will help, but the problem will remain. In fact, the problem of noise, may be exacerbated by additional issues with buffeting and stress, which create a bigger problem- fatigue. This is true, especially if you ride long distances!

A new windshield is likely the best overall fix; a "lip" may help, but you should STILL wear hearing protection, just the same, IMO. Here are a couple links on the subject of turbulence, laminar Lips, Von Karman Vortices, & windshields:

Scientific/engineering gobbledeegook, RE: VK Vortex:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A1rm%C3%A1n_vortex_street

Laminar Lip review:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/laminar-lip/

Finally, a GREAT article on both Von Karman Vortices (in layman's terms) and windshield consideration/choices on a per-rider basis:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fairing.html

To the original poster, here is all the possible information you may need to fully understand your problem with the noise you are experiencing...
I've posted much of this before, but here it is again.

FWIW:

WeBikeWorld has an EXTENSIVE site with all manner of tests and reviews. Of course, it is but a single source, yet seems legit. It IS rather complete, if not exhaustive. Wiki, is what it is- a crowd sourced and completely up-datable information base. I think (HOPE) that mostly, it's accurate- if some one finds inaccurate info, they can easily update it.
The CalSci article, I've seen around the web, but have never seen it in conjunction with their windshield chart/info. Seems they want to sell you a windshield, but they do well in explaining aerodynamics and VK vortices, AND give you a chart on choosing the proper windshield for your height.

Cheers!
Happy reading.
Have a great day.

Last edited:
Might as well go with the purdy ones. Howard Leight, Laser Lite. Boxes of 200 pairs from Amazon for $20 or so. Very soft material.

8350476912_55be6fb780_c.jpg

bmwrider88-I kept saying I'd get HA's for about the length of time there has been the technology to help high freq loss in a decent way which is something like around the 1990's for my type loss.I'm @ ~35% high freq loss R & L. Mine help but no sort of miracle either. In a noisy restaurant (the worst type social situation for me & others to hear) I find myself turning them down if it gets pretty loud.Simple things like table selection help more for me.If people will simply turn toward me when speaking it also helps a bunch. In a car, as driver, I wear the right side and take out the left side of my BTE HA's. Sadly but true,hearing loss is one of those "silent disabilities" that lacking acknowledgement from others means they don't accommodate you.Even close family members will think you were "not paying attention" when you should have & so forth. My "dirty/noisy hobbies/work habits" also mean that I often leave the HA's in the box where they're safe.
I bought mine on ebay from the common source,i.e.,somebody dies & their heir sells them . I had researched the brand(Phonak) & specific model beforehand,took them to a local pro,paid for another hearing test(a waste but part of the deal to fit them) then they were programmed for my loss & got new tubes and soft canal ends. Bottom line is I saved many $1,000's of dollars & got the latest thing too. There are also HA's that people buy, change models for no really good reason and sell -sort of like the low miles trade in's that make no sense other than perhaps,more money than brains notion.
www.hearingaidforums.com is a good source of info and dialogue r.e.,hearing loss & HA's. Many pros there to comment & also many dumbkofpts like me.

OK, here we go...
This is going DEEP.

Like many folks, I, too, have hearing loss, from a very noisy life. Between work & fun, it is now both frustrating, and sometimes embarrassing, to not hear well enough for normal communications- much less communicating when it's critical in loud [work] environs.
Of course, you never miss the water, til the well runs dry! So these days, I do what I can (mostly) to protect my hearing, and will actually go get tested and buy hearing aids in 2013!

Having said that, I've been using the compressible "waxed" foam plugs which expand in the ear canal, same as have been mentioned in this thread, the E-A-R Classics. They are maybe the most effective at cutting db levels, in a disposable or non-custom ear plug. I get mine in handfuls from the EMTs where I work.
BUT as was also mentioned, all ear canals differ! Like snowflakes, no two are the same. The throw away plugs I use, will not fit into my GFs ear! Furthermore, a buddy uses them too- but because they stick out from his ear, they rub against his helmet liner, making perhaps more noise than without them in! He cuts them down so they don't protrude from his ear.

[MY] Conclusion: Custom Plugs. These (many of these) allow certain levels of sound to pass thru, but block harmful db levels. You can get them at many bike rallies, or at your local audiologist- heck maybe at Sears or Walmart, IF they have a Hearing Center. They are going to be under 100.00 and made to fit YOUR ear. Boom. Done. There are definitely custom ear plugs in my future.
Here is a link to some research on ear plugs & hearing protection from WebBikeWorld's review site:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm

A new helmet isn't the fix either- here is another link to a WBW.com helmet noise study:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/helmet-noise.htm

There are various devices to add to your gear kit, that help block the noise levels, like neck-rings, or collars, and whatnot- but who needs all the extra gak?

The Laminar Lip was mentioned- and I have a couple of them- which I find to be relatively effective.

However; tho no one has gone too deeply into it, the excessive noise is most likely the windshield- more specifically, the turbulence caused by the vacuum behind the windshield. This vacuum-induced turbulence, is known as the Von Karman Vortices. Yes, ear plugs will help, but the problem will remain. In fact, the problem of noise, may be exacerbated by additional issues with buffeting and stress, which create a bigger problem- fatigue. This is true, especially if you ride long distances!

A new windshield is likely the best overall fix; a "lip" may help, but you should STILL wear hearing protection, just the same, IMO. Here are a couple links on the subject of turbulence, laminar Lips, Von Karman Vortices, & windshields:

Scientific/engineering gobbledeegook, RE: VK Vortex:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A1rm%C3%A1n_vortex_street

Laminar Lip review:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/laminar-lip/

Finally, a GREAT article on both Von Karman Vortices (in layman's terms) and windshield consideration/choices on a per-rider basis:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fairing.html

To the original poster, here is all the possible information you may need to fully understand your problem with the noise you are experiencing...
I've posted much of this before, but here it is again.

FWIW:

WeBikeWorld has an EXTENSIVE site with all manner of tests and reviews. Of course, it is but a single source, yet seems legit. It IS rather complete, if not exhaustive. Wiki, is what it is- a crowd sourced and completely up-datable information base. I think (HOPE) that mostly, it's accurate- if some one finds inaccurate info, they can easily update it.
The CalSci article, I've seen around the web, but have never seen it in conjunction with their windshield chart/info. Seems they want to sell you a windshield, but they do well in explaining aerodynamics and VK vortices, AND give you a chart on choosing the proper windshield for your height.

Cheers!
Happy reading.
Have a great day.

Lets boil that down........

A windshield is a great thing, but if the turbulence interacts with your helmet, you can get some ugly noise and buffeting. So, change the height of the shield or add an edge deflector to alter the location of the turbulence. The turbulence is there, you just need to move it to where your helmet isn't.

Is no windshield better? Maybe, if it's a really bad shield that provides no flow velocity reduction over the helmet. Basically, the sound level is going to increase by velocity to the 4th power, or higher, (dB ~ Log10 (Velocity)**4+ ). So, reduce the flow velocity over the helmet, then work on any issues arising from shed turbulence.

I use the pretty Howard Leight Laser Lites under a Shoei X11 or an HJC Symax. The modular helmet is noisier than the full-face due to the additional gaps which present a multitude of opportunities for disturbed flows.

Last edited:
Good info on picking up some hardware for short money, Kantuck. Yer right that people don't understand hearing loss, including many who have it. I **hate** to see someone shouting at someone in an attempt to communicate. Most people think hearing loss is a problem of volume level, but the reality is that letters of the alphabet drop out on you and you just can't figure out what that sound was supposed to be.

In my case, I'm down 56db in my left ear at 1500 cycles (Hz for you modern folks). The loss is only a half octave wide, but this just happens to be the frequency band that gives you intelligibility. Result? I can't use my left ear on the phone. I also can't hear crickets AT ALL if my right ear is on the pillow.

And like you, in a vehicle, I have a problem understanding the driver with my bad ear facing him from the passenger seat. Noisy restaurants I avoid, always did, even when hearing was good.

The good thing is that listening to music is not a problem. The right ear seems to compensate for the left.

bmwrider88-I kept saying I'd get HA's for about the length of time there has been the technology to help high freq loss in a decent way which is something like around the 1990's for my type loss.I'm @ ~35% high freq loss R & L. Mine help but no sort of miracle either. In a noisy restaurant (the worst type social situation for me & others to hear) I find myself turning them down if it gets pretty loud.Simple things like table selection help more for me.If people will simply turn toward me when speaking it also helps a bunch. In a car, as driver, I wear the right side and take out the left side of my BTE HA's. Sadly but true,hearing loss is one of those "silent disabilities" that lacking acknowledgement from others means they don't accommodate you.Even close family members will think you were "not paying attention" when you should have & so forth. My "dirty/noisy hobbies/work habits" also mean that I often leave the HA's in the box where they're safe.
I bought mine on ebay from the common source,i.e.,somebody dies & their heir sells them . I had researched the brand(Phonak) & specific model beforehand,took them to a local pro,paid for another hearing test(a waste but part of the deal to fit them) then they were programmed for my loss & got new tubes and soft canal ends. Bottom line is I saved many $1,000's of dollars & got the latest thing too. There are also HA's that people buy, change models for no really good reason and sell -sort of like the low miles trade in's that make no sense other than perhaps,more money than brains notion.
www.hearingaidforums.com is a good source of info and dialogue r.e.,hearing loss & HA's. Many pros there to comment & also many dumbkofpts like me.

Said it before, but worth repeating.

Used foam for years, always got the best I could, but NOTHING works as well as these http://www.earplugsonline.com/

They call them the worlds best ear plugs and I agree. They are a putty like material that you soften by kneading it and press into the ear, they seal EXCELLENT.

No matter what I did, the foam seal seemed inconsistent, and even loosened during a ride, requiring stopping and reinsertion which is a PITA. I have had these loosen just a couple times, and I can reach inside the helmet and just press it back in on the fly.

Hey thanks for the thoughts! I've been talking to some guys I work with who've had their HAs for anywhere from about one year, back to about 7-8 yrs ago. This guy who got his most recently, got his from Costco, for about 2K. His have multiple settings for different situations... The new technology HAs seem to self adjust, or come with a remote! Another guy said, in the end, it's an amplifier in your ear, so sometimes it is best to just not use them (as you've figured out already). He also removes his in hot sweaty work conditions... I have yet to even have a hearing test, so no idea what my level of loss is. I called a PA state office of Deaf & Hearing Loss, and they called me back. The nice lady had lots of good info for me. Never once thought about eBay, tho! Great idea.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Many things stated in this post are the exact same things that I have been telling my wife and daughter.

I keep telling them that I suffer from a partial hearing loss and that I really do listen to them. They insist that I only suffer from selective listening syndrome.

Maybe if I start wearing plugs when I ride, they will believe me.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Many things stated in this post are the exact same things that I have been telling my wife and daughter.

I keep telling them that I suffer from a partial hearing loss and that I really do listen to them. They insist that I only suffer from selective listening syndrome.

+1 on the ear plugs

Shame on you for not using them earlier and lying to your wife/daughter about the selective hearing. Selective hearing is an involuntary neurological defense mechanism for the male brain.

Alternative is to wear plugs when they talk. :laugh Could be a very short-term solution, though.

+1 on the ear plugs

Shame on you for not using them earlier and lying to your wife/daughter about the selective hearing. Selective hearing is an involuntary neurological defense mechanism for the male brain.

I would never lie to my wife, selective hearing in males is a myth. The proper term is "Selective Memory Retention".

Modern medicine has determined that the male brain is so efficient that in less than a nano-second, one can listen to what his wife has to say and then determine if it is important or needs to be remembered. If not, our brain will dismiss what is said and banish it from our mind FOREVER! Selective Memory Retention (SMR) is so efficient that the information is never stored in the brain for later recall so the male may claim zero knowledge about his wife's comments. Some males can also do this with their girlfriend, son, daughter, co-workers or even a boss.

Zombie like,"Yes dear" or " Uh OK", responses are just some some of the common indicators that a male brain is in "SMR" mode. A blank look on a male's face may also be an indicator.

Why clutter our brain with useless information?

Back