• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hyperlube coolant additive

ka5ysy

2011 R1200RT
Anyone with liquid cooling have any experience with Hyperlube additive, good or bad ?

Thanks,
Doug

Remember a few things about racing equipment
1) Glycol is slippery as hell on a track surface and outright prohibited in many circumstances for that reason.
2) Water by itself has some issues as a coolant- its surface tension properties in effect hurt wetting of the motor interior surface and therefore heat transfer to the liquid is not optimal.
3) Surfactant formulas with no glycol have been used by racers for a long time- at least as long as I've been going to tracks and I'm 65..
4) You still need an anticorrosive package, the other key ingredient in antifreeze other than glycol.
5) Racers don't care about freezing and motors don't last long enough for corrosion to matter

The miraculous appearing 20 degree improvment in cooling is a outright lie created no doubt by picking one favorable number out of a bunch it it ever happened at all.
Anyone who has messed with enough track motors has enough experience to know a minor coolant change isn't going to reliably get you a drop of that magnitude. However, 5-7 degree temp changes with wetting agents in pure water are common and about the norm in many systems.

Also remember the dropping temps on a street motor may have some bad consequences like worse economy, higher emissions, worse performance if you manange to drop it below what the ECU expects to see with the factory system and thermostat, etc etc. Racers are typically using fully programmable engine managment and are both equipped and inclined to deal with all the issues of a motor operating at the limit but the primary defense against overheating is an adequate rad and pump flow (might need enlarging of rad or passges or even re routing of engine hoses), proper airflow through the rad (ducting), adequate coolant volume, proper pressure cap, and lastly type of coolant or additive..

Additives to coolants on a street motor are a waste of time and money. Just stick to the factory antifreeze recommendation- preventing corrosion comes first so also lay off use of poor quality tap water in your gear..

Keep in mind that the thermostat on your machine is there to maintain a set temperature. If your machine is not overheating you have no problem. Now if your cooling system is compromised to the point that only using said additive is going to get you back into normal temp range then it may have some benefit. On the other hand you would gain more by simply repairing the compromised cooling system back to normal specs.

Keep in mind that the thermostat on your machine is there to maintain a set temperature. If your machine is not overheating you have no problem. Now if your cooling system is compromised to the point that only using said additive is going to get you back into normal temp range then it may have some benefit. On the other hand you would gain more by simply repairing the compromised cooling system back to normal specs.

Bzzzt. Wrong. The cooling system is designed to operate with coolant or some sort of surfactant in it. Without the additives, using only water and nothing else, a properly operating cooling system might not cool sufficiently with the thermostat fully open if it is hot enough out and you are making high power demands of the engine.
Some BMW engines we know have surprisingly limited margins in the cooling systems if they are used hard in places such as where I live out in the Mojave Desert. K-75's, for example, run awfully hot on the center cylinder, hotter than is safe really and you will see failures of the middle cylinder out here on occasion. The cure is a three row K-100 radiator, though it looks kinda ugly. The 16V bikes have very little coolant in the heads compared to the previous generation of K-100s, compounded by a reduction in the size of the radiator core from three rows to two. They run hotter for the sake of emissions compliance, but this leaves little margin for extreme conditions. The wise desert K bike owner knows to find a three row radiator for that bike and maybe even an earlier, higher capacity coolant pump.

Bzzzt. Wrong. The cooling system is designed to operate with coolant or some sort of surfactant in it. Without the additives, using only water and nothing else, a properly operating cooling system might not cool sufficiently with the thermostat fully open if it is hot enough out and you are making high power demands of the engine.
Some BMW engines we know have surprisingly limited margins in the cooling systems if they are used hard in places such as where I live out in the Mojave Desert. K-75's, for example, run awfully hot on the center cylinder, hotter than is safe really and you will see failures of the middle cylinder out here on occasion. The cure is a three row K-100 radiator, though it looks kinda ugly. The 16V bikes have very little coolant in the heads compared to the previous generation of K-100s, compounded by a reduction in the size of the radiator core from three rows to two. They run hotter for the sake of emissions compliance, but this leaves little margin for extreme conditions. The wise desert K bike owner knows to find a three row radiator for that bike and maybe even an earlier, higher capacity coolant pump.

BBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTTT!
Please note that I specifically did not mention using only water in the post you quoted. I specifically did not mention anything other than the cooling system and the term additive. If you infer that means I suggest, recommend or specified using water only then I do suggest you look in the mirror for the source of the inference. No specification, mention nor implication was made regarding water only as a coolant by my post.

If suggesting that a properly maintained cooling system is a good idea offends you that is your problem, not mine.

BBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTTT!
Please note that I specifically did not mention using only water in the post you quoted. I specifically did not mention anything other than the cooling system and the term additive. If you infer that means I suggest, recommend or specified using water only then I do suggest you look in the mirror for the source of the inference. No specification, mention nor implication was made regarding water only as a coolant by my post.

If suggesting that a properly maintained cooling system is a good idea offends you that is your problem, not mine.

I can read. That is not what you said or what you implied. You denegrated the necessity of additives and stated all you need were properly operating cooling system components. My reply to that is that in high temperature high load situations, that may not be enough. A properly working cooling system includes the coolant, mixed in the correct ratio with water.

I can read. That is not what you said or what you implied. You denegrated the necessity of additives and stated all you need were properly operating cooling system components. My reply to that is that in high temperature high load situations, that may not be enough. A properly working cooling system includes the coolant, mixed in the correct ratio with water.

Please read the second setence of my original post.

Back