• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need some advice...

tvgal2000

I love to lurk!
I know that my question will ultimately be my own decision but... I'm going to Gillette from Milwaukee, WI.

I can't decide between riding my '88 K75s or my 07 F650GS. Here are the pros/cons: K75S - smooth, great for the highways, comfortable seat BUT not very easy for me to handle at low speeds (think 25 mph) and is an older bike. F650GS- new, easier to handle, especially at low speeds, has roadside assistance BUT has an uncomfortable seat and is lightweight on highways. I'll be staying off I-80 as much as possible.

I don't have a ton of LD riding experience (did ride to Lima Rally a couple of years ago) so that's why I"m not sure about which bike. I will be riding alone (I'm female) and will be staying in motels on the way there.

I'm just looking for some input from the wizened members :gerg of this esteemed forum! Thanks in advance! :bow

If I may read between your lines, it sounds like you are a bit more at home on the 650. That bike will have all the road manners you need for a trip to Gillette, and will haul more than you will need.

Regarding the saddle, I'm sure there are others who have the same issue and I'm sure some of them will chime in, but, here's my thought. Consider an after-market saddle if you plan on keeping the bike. If you don't want to spend that kind of money try an Air Hawk pad, gel pad or even sheepskin over your existing saddle.

There will probably be several riders from your area heading to Gillette to ride with if you're concerned about break downs, flats or whatever. Just post a message asking to ride with some other BMW riders to the rally, folks on this forum are pretty friendly.

Good luck and see you in Gillette.

I know that my question will ultimately be my own decision but... I'm going to Gillette from Milwaukee, WI.

I can't decide between riding my '88 K75s or my 07 F650GS. Here are the pros/cons: K75S - smooth, great for the highways, comfortable seat BUT not very easy for me to handle at low speeds (think 25 mph) and is an older bike. F650GS- new, easier to handle, especially at low speeds, has roadside assistance BUT has an uncomfortable seat and is lightweight on highways. I'll be staying off I-80 as much as possible.

I don't have a ton of LD riding experience (did ride to Lima Rally a couple of years ago) so that's why I"m not sure about which bike. I will be riding alone (I'm female) and will be staying in motels on the way there.

I'm just looking for some input from the wizened members :gerg of this esteemed forum! Thanks in advance! :bow
It sounds like the F650GS would be more fun, and I always take back roads when I can. The Freeway is helpful when you need to save time so how much vacation time is always a variable. If I had enough time, I'd opt for back roads and the GS. You will also be packed for travel which might help it be more stable, with the added weight.

i am riding my '07 F650GS to Gillette from NY. get yourself an Alaskan Leather Sheepskin butt pad, it makes a huge difference in saddle comfort.

Take the GS and order a new saddle from Rick Mayer (assuming he's there). It made a world of difference on my GS.

No matter what you finally decide, you will have a great time!

What to ride?

I have ridden { and still have} an R100RS AND an F650GS to long distance MOA rallies. Either is fine, as far as I am concerned. BUT, the GS shines on a long trip when you don't know what is coming at you. { Road construction, bad camping ground, median turn-around due to accident, etc.}
We are all old enough to remember when a 650 was a large bike. Your GS will easily break the interstate speed limits all day long, and is quite stable at speed! As my home is in Conn., I have to take the slab out, to get to the good stuff quickly and safely, due to our high congestion.
What am I riding to Gillette? My newly purchased 1993 R100GSPD, for all the "unimproved" stuff out west. Yippee-ki-yay. Good luck and safe trip.

Jim

Do you have time to get to an advanced rider course? If you're going to keep the
K75 you've got to be comfortable riding it under any condition, else why keep it?

One way to gain confidence is by increasing your skills, another way is practice, practice practice. If you do have many years and miles on the K75 and still feel uncomfortable at slow speeds, maybe its just a bad fit. :cry Many people recommend that bike for new riders, especially women riders, but I think that is a mistake, it's a very top heavy bike, not the best choice for starters.

Take the bike that you'll enjoy riding long days on. Enjoy your trip!

I agree with Gail. CG on that K-Bike is a bit high for many riders.

Take the 650 for better riding qualities, reliability (being newer) and enjoy yourself.

Also, an ERC between now and July might not be a bad idea. I teach this up in Manitowoc Co., but I'm sure there is something closer to home for you.

Good Luck.

Which bike?

I have similar bikes. If I'm slabbing it I much prefer the the K bike. It just seems to get through the miles more quickly and comfortably. If there is any hint of mud or deep sand, stay off the k bike.
I've fitted the Corbin canyon? seat to the 650. What a difference. It moves your butt a little futher back on the bike, which really helps the posture, and is ergonomically correctly shaped, so its comfortable for long rides. ($$$ maybe 400, and its base is very heavy) The F bike will carry the same load as the k bike, and is much easier to handle in akward situations. There is a smaller rear sprocket available from touratech, which helps to keep the revs down on the highway.
Whichever bike - enjoy the ride!
FBike rightS.jpg

With you being a female and riding alone, I would suggest the new bike for the dependability factor. The K75 is a dependable bike but it is old and the potential of a breakdown is greater.

I had a K75 for six or seven years and I never got really comfortable with it due to its height and top heaviness. A short inseam is not a good match with a K75.

With you being a female and riding alone, I would suggest the new bike for the dependability factor. The K75 is a dependable bike but it is old and the potential of a breakdown is greater.

I had a K75 for six or seven years and I never got really comfortable with it due to its height and top heaviness. A short inseam is not a good match with a K75.

Would you recommend that men take a less dependible bike? :stick

Tell that to Paul Glaves. :stick

I have over 200K on my 1987 K75. Many of those miles were by myself. I never bought into the "short inseam" philosophy.

All that being said....

Hey TVGal ! Good to see you on the forum. :clap

Missed you at Oktoberfest last year....

But back on point: I think you are being overly hard on yourself. Your skills are definitely good enough to take either bike. The K bike will probably be a better "Go-Fast" bike, and the GS more fun on secondary roads.

So -Which one would you really prefer to take?

Better mpg's:)

If a newer F650, the mpg's alone would be the best reason to ride it. My daughter rides a F650 too and travels alone from Tucson to Seattle on it this month(alone). Its her first big trip on her F650ST'97 model. It runs perfect and she has a Sargeant seat, Jesse bags,etc..,all set for the long runs:). I rode a '99 F650 far and wide around the western USA and never had a minutes trouble. Keep the chain well lubed with chain wax,etcetc.:). It will go far to making a comfortable ride, keeping the chain in good order. Otherwise, F650's are perfect long haulers,imo:), Randy13233:D

Thanks!

I knew I'd get some sound advice from my fellow MOA members!:buds

To answer some questions:
I'm planning on an advanced rider course (not MSF - it's Total Control Advanced Street Course -- I haven't taken a course from them so I don't know what exactly is covered) before the rally. I was thinking of riding the K75S for the course since I don't have too much problem handling the F650. I'd love to get practice time on the K75S but I'm afraid that if I go to an empty parking lot and drop the bike, I may not be able to pick it up (Yes, I took Skort's class! -- but I don't know that it's foolproof -- and I've been known to be a fool!!)

I know that by the end of my Lima rally trip, the K bike was not too intimidating because of the miles and situations I rode through. But I think that I've been spoiled by the lower center of gravity that the F bike gives me. Maybe I just need to get high-heeled motorcycle boots! (Do they make them? ) :scratch It would certainly help with the inseam deficiency!!

I appreciate all the input! It's reassuring that there's a wealth of knowledge within reach!:clap

Would you recommend that men take a less dependible bike? :stick

Now Gail - Osbornk's advice is valid.

In a world that unfortunately still preys on what it perceives as the 'weaker sex,' his cautionary tone resonates true.

No one is advising her not to make the ride - just stack the deck in her favor.

Hope to see her (and you) in Gillette.

Now Gail - Osbornk's advice is valid.

In a world that unfortunately still preys on what it perceives as the 'weaker sex,' his cautionary tone resonates true.

No one is advising her not to make the ride - just stack the deck in her favor.

Hope to see her (and you) in Gillette.

I respectfully disagree. By saying that a because she is a women she should take a reliable bike is sexist. It infers that men can take less reliable bikes because they know how to fix them on the road? If they do break down they are in less danger?

I might even disagree that new bikes are more reliable than well broken in models...we all know a few examples of that.

When pondering a journey, large or small we should all set out on a reliable bike. Isn't that why we have Beemers? :brow

To me, at least, it's a no-brainer...

This has NOTHING to do with riding alone, motorcycle dependability, etc.

I would take the one that gets the best mileage in order to save a buck or 2. If that happens to be the one that your most comfortable on, then it's a double bonus!

Either choice will handle freeway speeds and are both able to easily cruise in excess of speed limits, so I don't see the big deal.

I'd take the GS if you think you might want to take some of the unpaved routes. I'd take the K75 if you consider how nice it is to have a heavier, water-cooled bike out in the middle of the high plains, when you are battling crosswinds and lots of heat.

After this trip, whichever bike you take, you will be a vastly-improved rider. That's how you get experienced - you go out and do it.

I respectfully disagree. By saying that a because she is a women she should take a reliable bike is sexist. It infers that men can take less reliable bikes because they know how to fix them on the road? If they do break down they are in less danger?

I might even disagree that new bikes are more reliable than well broken in models...we all know a few examples of that.

When pondering a journey, large or small we should all set out on a reliable bike. Isn't that why we have Beemers? :brow

On second thought, I think I'll steer clear of you in Gillette.

I've dedicated decades of my professional life rescuing and defending women who have been mauled by the real world, so I make no apologies for my view of our culture at this point in time of history.

You and I simply do not live in the same 'reality,' when it comes to perception, so best we not snap at each other further. Besides, time to make supper for my wife - home soon.

Ride Safe and Often.

I have over 200K on my 1987 K75. Many of those miles were by myself. I never bought into the "short inseam" philosophy.

I've noticed that those who never bought into the "short inseam" philosophy never seem to have a short inseam. The Japanese bikes of the 70s and early 80s (pre-cruiser) had the same problem of being tall and top heavy. I had a problem with them also but being much younger, stronger and skinnier, I handled them better. Now that my age starts with a 6, my balance, strength and determination is not what it used to be.

A couple of other posts suggests that my recommendation to take the newer bike is sexist because the rider is a female. If you read the whole sentence, I said female and riding alone. I would have made the same suggestion if it was a male riding alone even though I think a female is in far greater danger than a male based on statistics and police recommendations.

I know the K75 is a reliable bike but age along with wear and tear eventually gets to both man and machine. I sold my excellent K75 to a good friend and it had been dead reliable the entire 7 or 8 years I had it but the fuel pump suddenly died and left him stranded with under 50,000 miles on it. I always go with the option that gives me the best odds.

Back