• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hip Pain - 2013 R1200RT

xlarry

Larry
Having quite a bit of hip pain from riding only a hundred miles or so. Not so bad when riding but the right hip hurts enough to keep me awake a good bit of the night.

Wondering if anyone has experienced that and if they found a fix?

I am thinking of trying extended footpegs first and then maybe a different seat.

I did a taller seat (Russell Day Long), bar risers and peg extenders. It made a world of difference. (2013 RT)

I did a taller seat (Russell Day Long), bar risers and peg extenders. It made a world of difference. (2013 RT)

I can't go any higher on the seat as I am not quite flat footing with the stock seat. I have had the bar risers for quite a while....they helped the shoulder pain.

It's hell to get old.:banghead

I am 60 but started going to the gym 7 years ago. I think the best way to get rid of aches and pains is to exercise your body and then enjoy the bike. You will be surprised how quickly we can get into fit shape.
Join a gym and get a trainer for the first month.

M Khan

I am 60 but started going to the gym 7 years ago. I think the best way to get rid of aches and pains is to exercise your body and then enjoy the bike. You will be surprised how quickly we can get into fit shape.
Join a gym and get a trainer for the first month.

M Khan

I am 70 and I do light weight lifting and back exercises along with riding an exercise bike. I had to quit squats because I thought they were contributing to hip pain.

It will be a good idea to include a physician in your decision making process.

I went in September for back pain and I had had a little hip pain at the time. It's probably time to go back....but wanted to try something different on the bike to see if that fixes it.

I have been looking at them.

Good!

They're not the only quality after-market seat for BMW's, but when I switched out my OEM on my R1200RT to a Sargent, I said good-bye to hip discomfort and hello to an all-day saddle.

Good luck resolving your issue - you look like a guy who loves to ride. :thumb

Good!

They're not the only quality after-market seat for BMW's, but when I switched out my OEM on my R1200RT to a Sargent, I said good-bye to hip discomfort and hello to an all-day saddle.

Good luck resolving your issue - you look like a guy who loves to ride. :thumb

I just got my 2005 RT and I'm finding the seat a bit less than comfy. Which is better, Sargent or Corbin?

Hip Pain

I have a Corbin. some guys don"t like them they pretty hard at first.It takes about three to four thousand miles to break one in.like you I could not take the stock seat.After about 80 to 100 miles is all I could stand.

I had lots of hip pain with my 10 and 11 RT's. Sat on and bought a 14 and pain is gone. Lower stock seat due to the redesigned frame. All that stretching of the legs was killing my legs at the stops on my commute. Got massages twice a month. No more. 32 inseam. Seat is the regular one and quite comfy

I went from a 1996 1100 RT to my current 2011 R1200 GSA and my knee pain is gone! I fixed my hip pain by moving my wallet from my right rear pocket to my riding jacket pocket. A very simple solution, hope you can find one. Sargent seat made it even better. Did 12 hours on I-95 back from Daytona, multiple truck wrecks made it a challenge, but felt great when I got home 4 weeks ago.

Knee and Hip pain

I started riding in 1973 on a Honda 350. Great little bike. But, I had both knee pain and hip cramps. The knee and hip pain was back in 2000 when I got a Triumph 900. I put on bar risers and even added padding to the seat, on a bike too tall for me already. That changed the angle of the knees and the pain went away. The hip cramps only bother me at the start of the season and are likely due to narrow hips.

On my 2011 RT, I lowered the pegs and added bar risers. That fixed the knee pain, but I still have the hip cramps at the start of a season and at some times during the season. Long trips seem to help the hip cramps, I guess by stretching ligaments or something.

Would really like a 2014 RT, but that's unlikely without a lottery windfall.

I just traded my 2008 R1200RT for a 2015 today and I will be selling my Sargent seat and bar risers from the 2008. I haven't listed them on the flea market yet.

Fix

Having quite a bit of hip pain from riding only a hundred miles or so. Not so bad when riding but the right hip hurts enough to keep me awake a good bit of the night.

Wondering if anyone has experienced that and if they found a fix?

I am thinking of trying extended footpegs first and then maybe a different seat.

I had a similar issue and started with lowering my foot pegs, Suburban-Machinery makes a great set. I found the stock seat gets soft and created a pain in my tailbone, Corbin fixed that with a new seat but I think there are better seats available.
I also raised my bars but found it really didn't make too much difference--the pegs made a huge/biggest change, my legs were just to cramped (6' 0"-66 years old).
The best relief from hip stress came from the GYM as noted by one of the previous contributors. Stationary bike helped, walking on the treadmill helped.....anything to get you hips/upper legs moving. I was surprised how soon I noticed the difference and how soon the lack of movement catches up.
Also, Magnesium and Potassium tablets have helped..............along with lots of water. I don't live in a hot climate but I think most folks could improve daily life by drinking more water.

Again, start with the lower pegs!

Best of luck, you have a great bike-work on making it work!

Back