• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Z Technik Engine Guards for R1200RT?

Z Technik Engine Guards for R1200RT

Don,
I am also thinking about this product. I did see them at a dealer on a RT and they looked great. I am hoping that I can mount some type of hiway pegs to them. Someone commented that ZTEK is planning on coming out with their own peg design for the guards bu do not know when. Soon as I save up a few more sheckels I'll be puling the trigger. :thumb
Jim

Absolutely!

I liked the look of these too, although I was feeling kind of cautious in that I had
heard that there was one set of these type of engine guards that wouldn't fit on the 2009 RT. I think they are the Touratech guards. I looked at the PDF of installation instructions for these on ZTechnik's web page and it looks pretty straightforward. I'm most likely going to pull the trigger too, I'd just like to hear something from someone who has these and/or their experience of putting them on.....snappy looking, it would be nice if they developed a highway peg to go with these. Don

You might want to take a look at the R1200GS Adventure guards. I put a set on my RT, they seem pretty rugged and look like they were made for the bike.

I've got the Z Tech bars on my bike. The install was easy, save for one of the bolts on the left side - you have to reach waaay into and under the fairing side panel to get the thread started. Some sort of extension for your hex is very helpful here. Otherwise, they look great and would serve as excellent mounts for lights and/or foot pegs. Haven't crash tested them yet:D but they certainly look sturdy enough to withstand the blow. IMNSHO they are the best looking of the bar-type protectors available.

I've got them on my '09 RT. Install was quite easy except I did have to file the hole in the left side lower mount to get it to line up/fit. For me, the choice was less about protection and more about a place to mount some hi-way pegs.

I like that the guards are fairly unobtrusive and the fit and finish was great. I would recommend them.

Thanks - Highway Pegs

Thanks for the input guys, this is very helpful. Do you have highway pegs on yours now? What kind and from where? Any pictures? I'm pretty well sold at this point on these crash bars and a much longer extension bar for my socket wrench. Thanks again. Don

Back