• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Routing Apps for Apple/Mac

ItsPhilD

What are people using for route planning on their Apple/Mac? I'd love to be able to plan some on road trips for my Zumo 390.

Basecamp is the choice for many of us. It's free from Garmin and integrates well with their map and software updates. If you like the way google maps works all point and clicky you're going to hate Basecamp. It definitely requires rewiring your thinking of how you interact with the map and map tools but once you reprogram your thinking to match the effed up way the Garmin software guys think, it actually works pretty well. Is that all an endorsement of the product? For me, it's a love/hate thing but it's the only real game in town for the Mac.

Basecamp is the choice for many of us. It's free from Garmin and integrates well with their map and software updates. If you like the way google maps works all point and clicky you're going to hate Basecamp. It definitely requires rewiring your thinking of how you interact with the map and map tools but once you reprogram your thinking to match the effed up way the Garmin software guys think, it actually works pretty well. Is that all an endorsement of the product? For me, it's a love/hate thing but it's the only real game in town for the Mac.

Yeah, I guess I should have phrased my question better. Other then Basecamp what are people using? Are there options?

Mapquest

I use Mapquest on my Mac. I found it the easiest way to create a route and it downloads easily to my Garmin.

I use Mapquest on my Mac. I found it the easiest way to create a route and it downloads easily to my Garmin.

I have had Mapquest bookmarked in my browser for years but my default has always been Google Maps. But they have made a lot of what I feel are poor designing changes. Plus they have lost some functionality such as being able to upload to a Garmin GPS.

I took a fresh look at Mapquest today and while not feature packed it does the job quite nicely. Thanks for the reminder.

Back