• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Post a pic of your Airhead

Hi Scott! I'm near Nyack, on the west side of the TZ bridge. Do you guys ever get together for wrenching or oil changes? I would love to meet up sometime. PM me if you would!

Kat

77 r100rs

My dream bike since I was 16. Love to ride it, clean it, look at it...:heart
All original except for the Dell Orto carbs.

Attachments

• 1977 R100RS.jpg
    1977 R100RS.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 834
Winter hasn't settled in yet.

'83 R100RS

Image-L.jpg

let's see a few more action shots!

G/S hauling ass at Zombie Apocalypse Training Camp, Drag Race.
IMGP4902-XL-2.jpg

well over 75mph on dirt
IMGP4904-XL-1.jpg

Little Brother

0837s.jpg
[/IMG]

Here's my 74 R60/6. I got her 2 summers ago, from a guy in Ohio. Supposedly a barn find that he restored in 2004. He did a great job, except he couldn't get it to stop pinging. I think that's why he sold it. I spent the first summer working on that and getting used to riding again after a 20 year hiatus. I've been lurking here since then.

Now I'm having fun working on it myself. Just had the heads done by Ted Porter and amazed myself when it started right up, after I put it all back together. Next up: the slide carbs. Tried to sync them last weekend, and there is something funny going on there...... Also just scored some period Wixom side cases w/o mounts on ebay, so have to design/build something to hang those.

Any same vintage wrenchers out there in the NYC metro area?

Looks like this is it's "little brother" ;)

P5210154.jpg

sweet bike, Bob...what tires you running there? how do they ride? really great appearance....

Thanks Mysteriousfish--

They're a pair of Shinko enduro tires--
Here's the tread from when I was trying to figure out tire sizes/if they'd fit, etc...
( http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?64223-Tire-sizing-for-an-R100S )

But I love them so far! Obviously, with the big lugs, there's a slight buzz with the tires versus lasertecs. But the buzz is far less than I expected.. Handling-wise: I think they're better than the lasertecs.. seriously. Cornering seems better, much faster turn-in.... I'm real happy- and yeah, I think they look pretty cool too!

An Airhead and one of it's companions . . .

Fleabay acquisition about 18 months back . . . . R75/5 with a /7 tank. Cosmetically great, needed a couple of things, now pretty reliable and a hoot to ride.

IMG_1192.jpg

Well, it's kinda an airhead . . . . found this one for a bargain price at a local dealer. Another bike that's a hoot to ride. Kawi W650.

2012-10-14at10-34-37_HDR.jpg

Little Hansel

Took most of my life, but finally got my first airhead classic. 1978 R100S w/51K miles. Now to learn everything about it...

LittleHansel.jpg

Now to learn everything about it...

View attachment 36688

well, to start your learning, that's an incredibly non-S looking S ya got there. Looks to be a stock /7 saddle matched with a large /6 gas tank, no S fairing (probably THE thing that made it an S model more than anything else), and incorrect paint. I strongly suspect that something "not good" happened to it at some point in its life, as those changes are not ones that someone would likely do to "customize" their bike.
you can find out what it started out as here.. http://bmbikes.co.uk/chassispages/enginechassis1000.htm

Wife's new 1993 R100GSPD

Found this bike at the local BMW dealership. They sold it to the original owner Christmas Eve 1992. 1800 original miles, original battery charger, operator's manual, tool kit, etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 576
Saw bikerfish's note, thought to look the R100S up in my copy of Ian Falloon's "The BMW Boxer Twin's Bible." He's right of course--I suspect many of the inmates here are walking Beemer encyclopedias!

That tank looks like the one's on some /6's and the /5 series. (As I noted, my /5 above has an incorrect /7 tank on it. OTOH, it's clean, it works, it's big, and it's NOT rusted)!!! And the seat is wrong--but looks like it's in good shape. Heck, my seat's wrong too--re-upholstered by some furniture guy who put way-too-soft foam on it. But it works for now, so it stays.

I'd make a terrible concours judge. I'd rather ride 'em! And put part's on 'em that work whether they're original or not!

Best wishes for your new wheels--ride the heck out of it. BTW, how does it ride?

Took most of my life, but finally got my first airhead classic. 1978 R100S w/51K miles. Now to learn everything about it...

View attachment 36688

Back