• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

replacement front disc for 74 R90/6

mrabiff

I would like to replace the front disk on my 74 R90/6 with a drilled disc. Any thoughts on where to get the best deal on one? Also, any thoughts on making this change?

Mark
Land of OZ

I replaced my original cast (no holes) rotor. Although stopping power was ok and it (and the pads) was within spec, I had suffered for a long time with a squeal that I couldn't get rid of.

I replaced it with with an EBC drilled disc and at the same time put on new EBC pads. I thought the EBC price was good value. Works great. No squeal. You'll have to get used to a a "new" sound from the drilled rotor.

Spiegler is another source. They will modify your rotor to a floating design. I considered this, but ultimately went with EBC.

Lots of feedback in this forum on options.

Barron

I put floating EBC's on my K75 and Spiegler floaters on my R65LS.

Hands down: Spiegler is much better.

Not sure Spiegler is the best deal but I don't compromise with brakes!

Good luck!

Maybe it is a waste of time and money, but I am also trying to get better brakes out of my /7, which has the same brakes as the /6. Perhaps it's a lost cause and I am just being stubborn. But, EBC pro-lite rotors and pads are my next step.

The EBC pro-lite rotors MD602LS and pads FA22 are readily shipped in the US and are a bolt on switch. This website seems to have the best price I have found, www.oemcycle.com (@ $200). I actually ordered these from denniskirk.com when violating one of my tenants of online ordering and paid a bit more, but I am pleased because life lessons can be harder. Best of luck in your pursuit of better brakes!

Maybe it is a waste of time and money, but I am also trying to get better brakes out of my /7, which has the same brakes as the /6. Perhaps it's a lost cause and I am just being stubborn. But, EBC pro-lite rotors and pads are my next step.

I did this as well, along with upgrading to dual discs from a single disc. The dual disc upgrade (using stock BMW rotors) yielded much more outright stopping power, but then switching to the floating rotors was yet another step better (smoother braking action, translating to better stopping performance). The brakes on my bike are so much better now than at any point over the preceding 20 years, it's almost unbelievable!

Last edited:

The EBC pro-lite rotors MD602LS and pads FA22 are readily shipped in the US and are a bolt on switch. This website seems to have the best price I have found, www.oemcycle.com (@ $200). I actually ordered these from denniskirk.com when violating one of my tenants of online ordering and paid a bit more, but I am pleased because life lessons can be harder. Best of luck in your pursuit of better brakes!

Are you endorsing oemcycle?
Have you used them before?
I need to replace my rotors this winter and was wondering what the best replacement was currently.
What are your tenants of online ordering?
Thanks

Are you endorsing oemcycle?
Have you used them before?
I need to replace my rotors this winter and was wondering what the best replacement was currently.
What are your tenants of online ordering?
Thanks

I am not endorsing - or not endorsing - any vendor as such, just stating the facts from my perspective and results from an internet search using Google. There are many factors that are part of 'value' when buying.

I cannot answer - nor do I choose to try and answer- what is the best replacement. I do not know what is the best replacement based on your needs, wants, goals, or budget. However, I do know the OEM BMW rotors are specified by BMW.

One of my primary tenants when ordering online is to get some sleep before making any purchase. Avoiding impulse buying is the main benefit from that practice.

Back