• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

It's BMW Scooter Time!

That is totally unacceptable, probably caused by not using approved BMW/German fuel .
Seriously that sucks !

Yeah, I'm trying to be mellow about it but I'm a bit concerned - the bucking and surging would be one thing and bad enough already if it repeated, but dying on you is quite another and IMHO, nontrivially dangerous - if I'd been entering a turn before traffic, this is how you get killed, and when I called the dealer, they asked if I could reproduce it and when I said no, the service guy said he wasn't sure what he could do for me, which was not reassuring. (So, what, I drive a bike that may die with no apparent cause at any moment until either I have a wreck or I can reliably kill it somehow but manage not to get killed?) My wife is actually unhappy and wants me to bring it in and leave it until they find something, I'm going to have the first service done in two weeks anyway so I'll wait until then and hopefully they'll catch something.

Much obliged for anyone with any ideas about what would cause this - my first thought was bad fuel pump but not sure this would cause the instant shutoff like that. I also had a hose in an odd place behind the left side glove box which I moved to the left because it was in the way of the box closure, perhaps some wiring or vacuum in there or something is loose? I also noticed at one point that after putting the third tank of gas in it, it suddenly seemed to be running smoother, but the dying was after that tank. Bad gas? Reaching for possibilities here...

- the bucking and surging would be one thing and bad enough already if it repeated, but dying on you is quite another and IMHO, ng the third tank of gas in it, it suddenly seemed to be running smoother, but the dying was after that tank. Bad gas? Reaching for possibilities here...

The bucking and surging I experienced many years ago but that was after about 70,000 miles and that was caused by a clogged fuel filter. Maybe you did get dirty gas that may have been in the bottom of the drum the station had before they got a new shipment of fuel. Do you use a mid grade (89) sudden dying I have no answer. How did the scooter start up after the stalling

The bucking and surging I experienced many years ago but that was after about 70,000 miles and that was caused by a clogged fuel filter. Maybe you did get dirty gas that may have been in the bottom of the drum the station had before they got a new shipment of fuel. Do you use a mid grade (89) sudden dying I have no answer. How did the scooter start up after the stalling

I've been running 91, and it started right up like nothing had happened. :dunno

Luggage-compartment partition net

Has anyone successfully installed the net? The top is easy, toggles, fasten with velcro, around the frame, but the bottom is a mystery. The net is supplied with toggles, and four rubber rivet nuts and four screws. My assumption is that one is to drill holes in the bottom of the compartment and then use the fasteners in some manner to attach the bottom of the net.
I'm not drilling anything until there are very clear instructions to do so!

ps Installed the tail luggage rack with no problems, a well thought out accessory.

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 97
Mine were installed by the dealer (the only accessory they actually received quickly, still waiting for top box, rack, drop bumpers and nav. mount all to arrive - be prepared to wait for the accessories folks), I will take pics in the morning if that helps.

- be prepared to wait for the accessories folks.

As for wait times what are the dealers telling you.

Here in Canada I waited about 3 weeks for the top box and 4 weeks for the lock (that did not work and had to be sent back and will be probably 4 more weeks).

Last edited:
And here's number 2, on the bottom hook - it just looks to me like they cut a slit in there.

Attachments

• IMG_5060.jpg
    IMG_5060.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 75
And here's number 3, from the bottom left side underneath the bike looking forward - do you have that screw poking out from the bottom there?

Attachments

• IMG_5067.jpg
    IMG_5067.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 77
As for wait times what are the dealers telling you.

Here in Canada I water about 3 weeks for the top box and 4 weeks for the lock (that did not work and had to be sent back and will be probably 4 more weeks).
Well, I ordered the stuff on November 5, so that will be 4 weeks on Tuesday. They got some of it (the top box, the nav., and maybe some other stuff) but we're still waiting for the navigation mount, the body color panels for the top box, the rack to hold the box, and the drop protectors.

They originally didn't give me any info about the arrival time, and I had been hoping to have the stuff installed when I picked up the bike on the 14th but none of it was there except the cargo separator. When I last called about it, early last week, they said the stuff is all being shipped from Germany and on it's way here - no reference to anything being on back order, and I asked about that. I'm currently scheduled to have my initial service (and check for fueling or ignition issue) on Thursday the 11th, and am holding my breath hoping it's all there by then!

BTW, for anyone considering the cargo separator, it's absurdly expensive for what it is IMHO, but actually kind of useful, if for no other reason than because the front part of the cargo area gets a bit warm on top of the engine, so if you're carrying groceries or other temperature sensitive items, you can use it to keep them cool in the back section over the wheel.

BTW, for anyone considering the cargo separator, it's absurdly expensive for what it is IMHO, but actually kind of useful, if for no other reason than because the front part of the cargo area gets a bit warm on top of the engine, so if you're carrying groceries or other temperature sensitive items, you can use it to keep them cool in the back section over the wheel.

Or alternatively use the top case????:eat

Net

Jim,

Took the under seat liner out and worked the problem through. Lots of extra space for small items behind the liner. Pics show the backside of liner with velcro toggles pushed through a cut in the liner, the other give one a view of the bottom frame member that the velcro is attached to.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 90
Back