• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Higher windshield hmmm...

jstrube

John.
OK, so last night, I swapped out my stock windshield for a quite tall Cee Bailey unit. I'm not sure I like it. With the stocker, I could look over the shield with a clear view of the road. Tonight, I found myself not sure whether to look through it, or over it, so I lowered it down a bit to see over it. Wind came back... Not sure if I like it or not... I'm 5'10", not short, but not tall...

I like the lower wind on my head, but the view is just odd... My helmet's screen flips up too much on the first notch. I wish I could crack it about 3/4", it goes up enough that it bugs me being up... I like it all the way up, but don't feel safe with open eyes. UGH, I'm in learning mode...

Opinions? I really can't take both windscreens with me on a ride, so I'm trying to figure this out with short hops on the highway.

John.

I would get rid of the helmet screen altogether and wear glasses/goggles. It also sounds like the windshield you chose is too tall. In the full up position, you should be able to just barely see over it while on level ground.

I bought a tall screen for my R100RT. Then I started trimming it down until I got it where I wanted it. It turned out to be within 1/2" of the short shield from the same vendor. Oh, well, live and learn. I trimmed it so that I could see over it. That's my personal preference. My suggestion would be to ride with the shield in the low position, then gradually lift yourself up off the seat until you like the view/buffet. That's how much lower to make it to get the same view/buffet while seated.

What kind of bike do you have? I put a Laminar lip on my K75C and absolutely love it. It does really add much height but drastically changed the air flow for the better.

Laminar lip

I also have a Laminar lip on my R100R, being 6'4'' the few extra inches has greatly improved my riding comfort.

John,
What CB screen did you purchase?
:lurk

It came with the bike, it says M81 on it, no other real markings other than DOT 8, I could measure it if I knew where to start & stop. The first owner was 6'4", I'm 5'10". Oh yeah, I have an R1200RT...

I bought a tall screen for my R100RT. Then I started trimming it down until I got it where I wanted it.
May seem like a dumb question, but what tool/procedure do you use for trimming the shield?

Tape off the screen with masking tape, and use a jig saw with a very fine finish/scroll cutting blade. The masking tape will prevent the saw from bouncing against the plastic and the particles of plastic you are cutting will find their way between the saw base and the windshield, causing scratches without the tape.

finish the edges with a belt sander bolted to a bench upside down. One thing I've found is that a router with a laminate trimming bit works well after you have smoothed the cut edge, but it's not absolutely necessary to do this. The belt sander will work fine. You can also mark where you want to cut on the masking tape which is pretty handy!

JStraub, measure from the bottom of the windshield to the top, and across the widest point horizontally

It's all a matter of taste and personal preference, IMHO.
I prefer a lower windscreen 99% of the time because I like the unobstructed view. In my experience, taller windscreens can promote wind turbulence that results in buffeting. Lower windscreens = clean, undisturbed air.
I also enjoy the cooling effect of a good blast of wind on a hot day.

460 Jetboat, thank you. Good, clear, and easy to follow instructions!

Back