• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Trip to Maine from Texas, Question

Bullfrog

Did anyone travel to the Vermont ralley from Texas? If so did you take roads other than Super Slabs and if so which ones?

My family is having a get together this summer and my wife and I'd like to take the bikes but do not want to travel the interstates but don't have a whole lot of time to do this. We'd really rather not fly and rent or drive the car if we can help it. 2 wheels are so much more fun!

Any ideas will e appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Interesting google feature I just discovered

Go to Google maps and enter your city and the city you are going to in Maine. It'll calculate two alternate routes, one on the slabs and the other exclusively on back roads.

Can't guarantee how interesting the back roads will actually be, but you can cross check with the routes on Motorcycleroads.com state by state.

I rode from Dallas to Cape Briton and stayed in Vermont on my way home to attend the Vermont Rally. Found some really good roads along the way. I could suggest some, but much depends on how much time you have and what you hope to cover.

For my ride up I headed east through Memphis and across the southern part of Tennessee for the purpose of covering Talico Plains to ride the Cherohala Skyway, The Dragon, and much of the southern part of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Good roads for sure, but might be taking too much time out of your New England portion.

One notable section was a Highway 220 which is just west of Roanoke. I took it north through an area called Seneca Rocks and continued north through Petersburg and somehow ended up in Huntingdon, PA for the night. That run for that day was one of the best sections of my entire trip. From Huntingdon, someone on the forum recommended riding through the Amish country and that too was great as well.

There are some great roads to make equally good time, however if you're pressed for time, there is sometimes no getting around riding the slab if nothing else than some sections of them. On the way home I rode a large portion through West Virginia and came away thinking that this state is under rated as far as good roads. Surprisingly beautiful areas.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of any further help. One thing to keep in mind riding east is it's harder to cover distance in a day because of the small towns and larger populations. Don't expect it to be like scooting across Nevada in an afternoon.

I rode from Dallas to Cape Briton and stayed in Vermont on my way home to attend the Vermont Rally. Found some really good roads along the way. I could suggest some, but much depends on how much time you have and what you hope to cover.

It looks like a week out, 4 days there and a week back for right now, anyway.

[/QUOTE]For my ride up I headed east through Memphis and across the southern part of Tennessee for the purpose of covering Talico Plains to ride the Cherohala Skyway, The Dragon, and much of the southern part of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Good roads for sure, but might be taking too much time out of your New England portion.[/QUOTE]

I was going to forgo the Dragon - it looks really fun but the latest rumors about locals spreading oil and idiot drivers/riders pretty much turned me against that ride. The Blue Ridge on the other hand definitely looks like a must ride.

[/QUOTE]One notable section was a Highway 220 which is just west of Roanoke. I took it north through an area called Seneca Rocks and continued north through Petersburg and somehow ended up in Huntingdon, PA for the night. That run for that day was one of the best sections of my entire trip. From Huntingdon, someone on the forum recommended riding through the Amish country and that too was great as well.[/QUOTE]

I checked 220 out on the Google Map/Sattelite View and it looks nice.

[/QUOTE]There are some great roads to make equally good time, however if you're pressed for time, there is sometimes no getting around riding the slab if nothing else than some sections of them. On the way home I rode a large portion through West Virginia and came away thinking that this state is under rated as far as good roads. Surprisingly beautiful areas.[/QUOTE]

I'll probably run the slabs in the Northeast as I grew up in New England so the I'll chug along to the reunion that way once I hit New York.

[/QUOTE]Feel free to PM me if I can be of any further help. One thing to keep in mind riding east is it's harder to cover distance in a day because of the small towns and larger populations. Don't expect it to be like scooting across Nevada in an afternoon.[/QUOTE]

Now that is something I hadn't considered. Most of our recent long trips have been out here in the unwashed western half of the US.

Thanks for the advice RT. It is great to hear from folks that have riden in these great areas.

Dave

Last edited:
Dragon, BRP, etc.

There are always rumors about the Dragon. Ignore them all, just ride through there like you have some sense, then the rumors won't apply:thumb

To me, the Blue Ridge Pkwy is a time drain second to none. :banghead There are no services, a 45mph speed limit (with significant fines), and after you have ridden it for 2 hours, you've had enough IMO.

TN, WV, VA offer great roads just b/c of the mountains. The Ozarks are beautyful.

Return through New Orleans and along the GUlf coast for a different view of things. Rural Mississippi will make you grateful for whatever you have b/c its more than they have!

Look into joining motorcycle-travel.net to help wtih lodging.

Just some thoughts.
Charles

Watch yourself on secondary roads in New England specifically around summer home/lake areas
such as Wolfeboro, NH, Lake Winnepesaukee, NH, Sebago Lake, ME and the Atlantic seasore.
Summer traffic in summer towns can be gridlock on weekends.
The Maine Pike suffers directional gridlock peaks at tolls northbound from Boston Friday afternoons
and then southbound to Boston on Sundays.
As your route firms up, post and you can get some specific "must sees" and "must avoids."

Have you decided on the route??

Bullfrog,
where in Maine are you going? I can help you find routes that will make for nice rides. My BIGGEST suggestion is to stay OFF route 1 in the summer, ESPECIALLY on weekends. There are places that are near gridlock.

Watch yourself on secondary roads in New England specifically around summer home/lake areas
such as Wolfeboro, NH, Lake Winnepesaukee, NH, Sebago Lake, ME and the Atlantic seasore.
Summer traffic in summer towns can be gridlock on weekends.
The Maine Pike suffers directional gridlock peaks at tolls northbound from Boston Friday afternoons
and then southbound to Boston on Sundays.
As your route firms up, post and you can get some specific "must sees" and "must avoids."

iRene,

Thanks for this advice. It sounds like nothing much has changed since I lived there last in the late 70's. My mother still resides in Augusta and we have a cottage on the coast just up from East Bootbay. We're going to be gathering on Lake Cobbessee in the Winthrop area.

Once I get to Vermont, I'll be pretty good on knowing how to avoid the heavy tourist areas. Although, we haven't firmed up the route yet, we'll be avoiding most all of what you have suggested to avoid; except the turnpike. However, we are going to avoid the M******* exodus north on Fridays.

Thanks,
Dave

Bullfrog,
where in Maine are you going? I can help you find routes that will make for nice rides. My BIGGEST suggestion is to stay OFF route 1 in the summer, ESPECIALLY on weekends. There are places that are near gridlock.

I went on US 1 once in all the time I lived in Maine as a young guy and decided that when summer arrived, I would never go that route again!:D

We're not sure of our exact routing yet but we'll be in the Winthrop Lakes area for our stay. Mom lives in Augusta and we used to have a camp on one of the lakes there when we were growing up. Still have one on the coast but don't get there but once every 5 years or so. Keep it rented to pay the property taxes!:cry

Dave

Hi Dave,
I live in Augusta as well. When you get closer up this way, drop me a line. We'll have to hook up and oogle bikes. My buddy has an '83 R100RS. I'm sure we could find a place to meet up.

Regards,

Hi Dave,
I live in Augusta as well. When you get closer up this way, drop me a line. We'll have to hook up and oogle bikes. My buddy has an '83 R100RS. I'm sure we could find a place to meet up.

Regards,

That sounds great!:clap Let's do that. I probably won't have a computer with me but I'll check with my sibs who'll be there also. Otherwise, send me a private message with contact info and we'll have a meet.:drink

Dave

Route 7 through western Mass is great, stop into Great Barrington for some good food and a wander around town. Then as you head north, ride east on route 2. Great views, light on the traffic. It's the road I ride to Maine.

Back