• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What Chair

I haven't yet found any cheap stuff that meets the above description, but I'll keep looking. And if I find it - I'll buy it. When I can get the bargain, I'll take it. When I need to spend more money to solve a problem - if I have it, I'll spend it. I certainly recognize that there are different solutions to a problem for different people. I meant no disrespect toward anyone about their choices. Nor should the makers or buyers of Kermit chairs be faulted for theirs. Let's just keep riding those expensive German bikes.
I agree. I don't fault anybody their choice of what makes them comfortable. My bikes were all cheap though.:laugh

Chair census

OK. I started this thread and will now be counting chairs at the rally. The term stand up and be counted is a necessity here so's I can see your chair. It will be "ugly" against "art".

So look out.

About the comments about lashing the larger chairs to the luggage, I submit Exhibit A:

174895347_kWWGU-M-1.jpg

That chair, inside it's carry-bag, was strapped on right behind a Helen Two Wheels duffel (using the H2W straps) and was no problem at all. I have also strapped it onto the tiny cargo-rack of that bike without any problem.

Dave said he was getting $4/chair/year from his Kermits. My chair is close behind- I paid $20 at REI (so it's slightly better than the really cheep chairs I guess) four years ago, so one more year and I'll catch up. Given the shape the chair is in, this will not be a problem. It takes lots of abuse (at home as well as on the road) and shrugs it off and I predict at least another four years from this chair.

But here's the clincher, the thing that will make everything I've said above meaningless.
This past weekend I got to sit in a brand-spankin'-new Kermit that a friend of mine just got, complete with leg-extensions, cup holder, the works. I found that the chair felt flimsy and I was afraid to move much in it, and even more importantly, I found it to be too small in width, seat-depth, and back-height to get comfortable in it.
So while Kermit may work for some, its' ergos suck for me. But then I'm the kind of freakishly large guy who bought a GS primarily because it's tall. :laugh

About the comments about lashing the larger chairs to the luggage, I submit Exhibit A:

174895347_kWWGU-M-1.jpg

That chair, inside it's carry-bag, was strapped on right behind a Helen Two Wheels duffel (using the H2W straps) and was no problem at all. I have also strapped it onto the tiny cargo-rack of that bike without any problem.

Dave said he was getting $4/chair/year from his Kermits. My chair is close behind- I paid $20 at REI (so it's slightly better than the really cheep chairs I guess) four years ago, so one more year and I'll catch up. Given the shape the chair is in, this will not be a problem. It takes lots of abuse (at home as well as on the road) and shrugs it off and I predict at least another four years from this chair.

But here's the clincher, the thing that will make everything I've said above meaningless.
This past weekend I got to sit in a brand-spankin'-new Kermit that a friend of mine just got, complete with leg-extensions, cup holder, the works. I found that the chair felt flimsy and I was afraid to move much in it, and even more importantly, I found it to be too small in width, seat-depth, and back-height to get comfortable in it.
So while Kermit may work for some, its' ergos suck for me. But then I'm the kind of freakishly large guy who bought a GS primarily because it's tall. :laugh

So you are saying you have a "girth" defect? :dance

Got y'all beat...

But I don't think this would happen at every rally.

The folks that were camped next to me in West Bend let me use one of their chairs. In fact, when they went off for a day trip, they even took it out of their tent, and put it by mine so I'd have a place to sit. Very nice, I used it, too. Gotta love those Canadians.:hug

My Kermit chair is 13 years old and I weight in above the posted weight limit....

Well this past weekend at the Fingerlakes Rally my kermit chair broke! Busted curved cross over and busted Backrest upright! It was ugly!

Well the chair has provided me with a comfortable seat for many rallies,
there are many pictures of me asleep, with Beer can in hand..........

It's no shame for the chair, just shame for me that I've put a few pounds on over the years! :drink :eat

Well I've emailed Kermit and asked if I could buy replacement parts.

Guess what, can't buy replacement parts!!!!!!!!

But, if I mail the chair to them they will fit it and ship it back. All for NO CHARGE!!!!Not even return shipping! I offered!

That's one of many reasons to buy a Kermit Chair.

gsjay

$129 for a "camping" chair?? Are you crazy? Well, that's what I thought until I spent $129 + shipping on that Kermit chair I heard so much about. Guess what... worth every penny in my opinion! I just wish I was quicker in realizing that maybe I'm crazy too and bought it sooner!!!

Last edited:
On my first three week trip, I took a small three legged fold up stool with me. I might have used it twice; haven't taken one with me since. I don't understand the need for a chair when travelling. Sitting crossed legged on the ground works for me. I am not dissing the Kermit chair; I might even buy a couple for my wife and me to take to our granddaughter's soccer games, but why is a chair necessary when camping?

Anybody else here wish that they made a bigger/taller Kermit chair?

Let me explain my logic:
-I'm larger than the average bear. So are one or two other riders I've seen...:blah
-I wish the Kermit chair were a few inches wider (see above:whistle )
-I can't get my large arse out of the Kermit w/o leg extensions. However, the leg extensions kind of ruin the "one nice little bundle" feature of the packed chair.
-I pack stuff (in a large pile...) on the back of my GS, so it doesn't matter to me that the Kermit will fit in a saddlebag. I see many folks at rallies on RTs, LTs, etc. with luggage piled on a top rack, pillion seat, etc.- I suspect a lot of folks don't care whether their chair fits in a saddlebag.

I spoke with Tom Sherrill ("new" owner of the Kermit chair company) at the RA rally in Houghton this year. He said that he has built a couple of larger chairs, and has them "in the field" for testing. He also said that he would consider building them in the future, if there was a demand.

A slightly wider chair would necessitate a slightly longer package. HOWEVER, the legs could then be made slightly longer, eliminating the need for leg extensions...

I appreciate the Kermit chair for what it is- a classy piece of kit that's functional, repairable, and not made in China. I have no problem paying the asking price for the chair, EXCEPT that it's a little snug. I don't want to pay that kind of money for an item that's "almost" what I'm after...

Anyway, if anyone else is interested, PLEASE join my email campaign, and periodically remind Tom that there are some of us out there who would LOVE a Kermit chair, if only it were a little bit larger... You can email Tom at info@kermitchair.com

-Howie

I've accumulated a few things over the years that I really like and enjoying just having around...even if I never use them again; an 81vintage Colt Gold Cup, a Silva Ranger compass I used in the eighty-duece, an almost thirty-year old Seico dive watch (did I spell Seico right), a Puma Hunters Pal my dad gave me for Christmas when I was ten, some other things, and my Kermit Kamping Chair.

Folks, since this seems to be an ongoing thread, I'm moving it to the GEAR forum where it better belongs..

And I own a Kermit chair - which I look at as a work of art. Unfortunately - one I rarely take with me on the bike since it is a bit tight on the R1200R..

Don't laugh, but this actually works for me. It's a Pico Chair. I tie it onto the luggage rack of the RT and it makes for a slightly wider platform to haul bags on top of it than the stock rack.

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 482
what chair

Kermit!!!!! Why/ Because they are comfortable and they will last even if given to the next generation to carry on their bikes and enjoy. Practice packing. Everything will fit on the back except what my wife wants to take for cosmetics. That could fill up the entire bike's cargo capacity.

On my first three week trip, I took a small three legged fold up stool with me. I might have used it twice; haven't taken one with me since. I don't understand the need for a chair when travelling. Sitting crossed legged on the ground works for me. I am not dissing the Kermit chair; I might even buy a couple for my wife and me to take to our granddaughter's soccer games, but why is a chair necessary when camping?

Perhaps the fold up really wasn't that comfortable?

There is something nice about not sitting on the ground and having some back support. This year we added a small table to our kit. I bought it a few years ago on impluse and didn't start using it until last year. The table is the perfect hight relative to the chair (very low) which makes for a great place to put your cocktail, plate of food or anything else you don't want to get dirty.

I've had one of my chairs for at least 10 years and it is going strong. I think that works out to $7 a year for a nice place to sit.

As always, YMMV.

Cooler

I am still using the same hard shell Thermos cooler I started with 20 years ago. It isn't a bad seat around the rally fire, and my cold beer is very nearby:dance

My Kermit chair is 13 years old and I weight in above the posted weight limit....

Well this past weekend at the Fingerlakes Rally my kermit chair broke! Busted curved cross over and busted Backrest upright! It was ugly!

Well the chair has provided me with a comfortable seat for many rallies,
there are many pictures of me asleep, with Beer can in hand..........

It's no shame for the chair, just shame for me that I've put a few pounds on over the years! :drink :eat

Well I've emailed Kermit and asked if I could buy replacement parts.

Guess what, can't buy replacement parts!!!!!!!!

But, if I mail the chair to them they will fit it and ship it back. All for NO CHARGE!!!!Not even return shipping! I offered!

That's one of many reasons to buy a Kermit Chair.

gsjay

I shipped my chair this monday from Pa to tenn. Got an email today saying my chair has been repaired and has been given to UPS for return shipping.
All at NO cost.
Pretty darn good services.
jason

Now you're talking $10 as opposed to $125 for the Kermit. In fact at that price I could probably drop in at a Walmart near the Rally and buy one there and discard or donate it at the end so as not to carry it.

I own a Kermit. I haul my Kermit sometimes. If it is along it gets used a lot. by me or anybody else around the fire looking for a place to sit, if I'm not in it.

But sometimes I don't take it for short trips, or a rally I won't be sitting around at much.

And, over the years we have bought at least a dozen chairs from Walmart, KMart, or some other discounter near an MOA rally site. Voni doesn't have a Kermit. She claims she would rather buy Walmart chairs than haul a Kermit. We have donated some, given some to folks with trailers or in a car, and hauled a few home.

But, If I didn't have a Kermit I would buy one.

Back