• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel strip poll

Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

• Total voters
I had 3 fuel strips on my '10 RT, but already voted for the '10 model, so I couldn't vote for multiple failures...none, yet, on my '11 RT.

An interesting pattern is starting to emerge. I put this poll up because I can't recall anyone complaining about a fuel strip failure on '05 and '06 bikes.

So far - with probably about 20 failures reported, there are no failures reported on the '05 and '06 bikes. If this continues and is not a fluke, a comparison to the number of hexheads BMW sold over the different years would be in order, but my initial thought is - something went downhill in the fuel strip manufacturing process around 2007, and it never got any better. Plus - this eliminates the fuel being the problem since all the hexheads are likely to be using about the same fuel supplies, no matter what year they were manufactured.

I'll be watching the results with great interest.

An interesting pattern is starting to emerge. I put this poll up because I can't recall anyone complaining about a fuel strip failure on '05 and '06 bikes.

'05 and '06 bikes without the onboard computer option came with a float. At least the GS came with a float. Perhaps the OBC option wasn't common in those years? :dunno

The complaint from owners with those bikes is more likely to be "my fuel tank reads full until 1/2 tank is gone". When you explain how the sucking jet pump moves gas from one lobe of the fuel tank to another without the need for crossover lines that complaint sometimes goes away.

12 r1200r

7 weeks old, 6,000 miles no problems so far.

Gauge reads full until its about 110 miles, then drops to 1/2 by 120 miles.

Near empty its really accurate.

One bar and light comes on with computed 37 miles to go.

I drove it till it said 0 miles. 3 more miles and it sputtered going into the gas station.

Refill, set trip meter do it again..... Look for fuel when the light comes on.

I reset the trip meter and check mileage every fill up on every bike I own.

I can see the strip in the tank.

David

So far - with probably about 20 failures reported, there are no failures reported on the '05 and '06 bikes. If this continues and is not a fluke, a comparison to the number of hexheads BMW sold over the different years would be in order, but my initial thought is - something went downhill in the fuel strip manufacturing process around 2007, and it never got any better. Plus - this eliminates the fuel being the problem since all the hexheads are likely to be using about the same fuel supplies, no matter what year they were manufactured.

I'll be watching the results with great interest.

Don
I am with you on this point, having done a great deal of research on this subject I came up with the same result.
What happened after 2006 and what is different with the strips in 05 &06??
My 2005 1200GS had no issue with the fuel strip sold it at 28,000 miles and 3 years.
Dave

'05 and '06 bikes without the onboard computer option came with a float. At least the GS came with a float. Perhaps the OBC option wasn't common in those years? :dunno

The complaint from owners with those bikes is more likely to be "my fuel tank reads full until 1/2 tank is gone". When you explain how the sucking jet pump moves gas from one lobe of the fuel tank to another without the need for crossover lines that complaint sometimes goes away.
Marc,

Dunno, so I went to RealOEM to find out:

'04 R1200ST - they only show a fuel strip: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0338&mospid=51566&btnr=16_0698&hg=16&fg=14

'05 R1200S - they show both: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0396&mospid=51570&btnr=16_0699&hg=16&fg=14

'04 R1200RT - they show only the fuel strip: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0396&mospid=51570&btnr=16_0699&hg=16&fg=14

'06 R1200RT - same thing, only the fuel strip: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0388&mospid=51560&btnr=16_0698&hg=16&fg=14

'03 R1200GS - same thing, only a fuel strip: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0388&mospid=51560&btnr=16_0698&hg=16&fg=14

Same on the 06/'06 GS, and the 06/'06 GSA.

'04 HP2 - used a float, different from the one on the S.. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0389&mospid=51734&btnr=16_0697&hg=16&fg=14

Only one I found (and I didn't look at every one) was the S that used the float assembly or the strip. That's probably a rather small sample since the S is somewhat of a rare bird. And the HP2 - again, a rather rare bird.

But - in the interest of completeness - people with '05/06 bikes - please let us know if you have the OBC (fuel level display/miles to empty)..

Don
I am with you on this point, having done a great deal of research on this subject I came up with the same result.
What happened after 2006 and what is different with the strips in 05 &06??
My 2005 1200GS had no issue with the fuel strip sold it at 28,000 miles and 3 years.
Dave

I see two failures now reported for '05.. some details on what failed/how and if there was any pattern of repeated failures would be good info to have (HINT!)

I had 3 fuel strips on my '10 RT, but already voted for the '10 model, so I couldn't vote for multiple failures...none, yet, on my '11 RT.

Actually - you can - I've allowed multiple choices for the poll just for that reason, and that people may have owned multiple bikes in the year range and experienced failure (or not) on one or more bikes.

Update!

UPDATE: I accidently forgot that the 2012 R1200R still was delivered with a fuel strip. If you have had a failure - please log it under the 2011 model, and make a note in a posting. I'd edit the poll, but I think that clears it of all results.

I should have realized this since a friend with a 2012 has a bum fuel strip..

Back