• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Influence of place on who you are.

Winter is officially here. :)

Yeah boy. We didn't quite make it to 80 today, but there's always tomorrow. Born and raised in Raleigh but my wife and I hit the road after college and enjoyed living in Boston, London, New York, Tallahassee and one not-so-great year in Iowa. We've been back in Raleigh for twenty years and will probably stay but we love to travel. I'd like to be one of those couples with multiple homes. I could be happy(for a while) in Santa Fe, Rapid City, Seattle, San Diego, Duluth, Nashville,......

I'd like to be one of those couples with multiple homes.

I would like to know how to do that? Say you have a house in Duluth. How do you maintain it when you're in Santa Fe for the winter? Pipe freezing and all that stuff??

My bad, why did I think Bloomington? Well, I apologize and have been a "southern" Illinois fan since before Stan Musial took up residence at Sportsman Park.

I've lived in Illinois, Utah, Mississippi, California, Iowa, Georgia, Texas and Indiana. From my own experience, I am a Midwestern boy.

That's a while back. :laugh

While I agree that the influence of place is important, at the same time it also easily leads to far too much stereotypical thinking! I grew up in KS in a city of 75k at the time and went to a HS with almost 3k students. Make no mistake, my HS offered a long list of subjects far beyond any seen here in my KY educational career! Influence of place?
At the same time my wife who graduated with less than 50 kids can often beat me @ Scrabble. You could easily label me as a city dude. Having lived in the city I was intrigued my entire childhood by the many talented people around me-both in my family & as accessed by my bicycle. I made the rounds often, hopping from one nest of activity to another. I can safely say that I had exposure to far more of that type skilled work place stuff than I'd ever have found in a rural location.Having worked in a skilled trade(in the city) I'm always amazed by those that want to think only hayseeds can fix their own stuff! Living in the country I see that hayseeds now pay city people to come & service their goodies of modern living.
OTOH, I have lived in the boonies by choice in KS & KY for many yrs. The solitude & other various comforts of living in the woods are in sharp contrast to the life of my youth, what with neighbors of both kinds in close proximity & where health care & entertainments abound .
I'm a firm believer in the "it takes all kinds" to make a good society! The danger comes when we aim for making the case that one types "better" than another. Most obviously to me country folk are no more inventive than city folk nor less intelligent,etc..
Ah, the country life::heart:heart Yeh, I miss KS too:heart
P.S., Kent, when you fly east at night notice all the "dark spots" in the east & as an e.g., my state of KY has the same number of larger urban areas as my home state KS-three,that's it.

Here's an example of influence or Not? I lived in a hamlet of 40 people while in high school. This was in the middle of coal mining and farm country. The town where my high school was located had a population of 8,000 and was 6 miles of cornfields away. I had a classmate...smart kid, student council president and all that. He lived down the road from me on a small farm. How our shared surroundings influenced his (our) lives doesn't seem that apparent to me....he went on to be Goldman Sachs CEO, then U.S. senator, then New Jersey governor and finally MF Global CEO. And me, I'm retired and writing on this thread....LOL. Could it be the Person and not the Place? Certainly so. And yes, the classmate was Jon Corzine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Corzine

Every time I see some sort of depiction of how the population is distributed, things like a picture taken from space at night showing where the light is or a map of cellular coverage, I'm happy that I live in one of the dark/blank spots.

We go to Missoula for a taste of the big city.

This forum needs "like" buttons!

I would like to know how to do that? Say you have a house in Duluth. How do you maintain it when you're in Santa Fe for the winter? Pipe freezing and all that stuff??

Do folks in Duluth have running water? ;)

Just kidding, all you Duluthians. If it's good enough for Andy Goldfine, it's good enough for me.

Born and raised in North Dakota, but have spent all of my adult years since age 20 in Minnesota. It's here where I want to be. I don't mind wide open spaces, but don't mind cities, either, as a place to visit.

My rural background has most definitely affected how I live and how my family was raised. Good? Bad? I dunno, it seems to have worked out pretty well for us.

I'll never go back to North Dakota to live. We will have a place in Florida to stay during the "heart" of the winter months once we retire. We've traveled to Florida a lot, since my in-laws live there, and find it a nice place to be in January. But, since the kids and grandkids all live in Minnesota for now, I suspect we'll always come back here for 8 or 9 months or so. It's our home.

While I agree that the influence of place is important, at the same time it also easily leads to far too much stereotypical thinking!

For us Ohioans, all Michiganders are whacko!! This isn't an example of stereotypical thinking, is it? But what if it were true?

GO BUCKS!!!

Born and raised just south of Boston. Lived in rural NH for the last 25 years. Can not imagine going to live back there and have very little in common with my relatives that still do. And they visit me and wonder why anyone would want to live in the middle of nowhere.

Born and raised just south of Boston. Lived in rural NH for the last 25 years. Can not imagine going to live back there and have very little in common with my relatives that still do. And they visit me and wonder why anyone would want to live in the middle of nowhere.

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city in the world." -someone told me Steve McQueen said that (seems unlikely so if you know, please post it.)

pete

Eat crow

OK! This morning I will have to apologize to all you Michiganders out there! I will eat crow!

Oh well.

jlc

Back