• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help! - Noise after oil change

I just looked at mine and I think it is just the form of the grommet (flanged ends) that holds it in position in the block.

I just looked at mine and I think it is just the form of the grommet (flanged ends) that holds it in position in the block.

The old one on the bike has worn the flange off one end, allowing it to slide out of the holder. The microfiche shows a circlip also. I have on of those coming too.

Does anyone have a picture, or better intel on how that circlip fits on the exhaust hanger?

Last edited:
As long as I had my camera out, I thought I'd share my five minute repair with you.

The rubber bushing in question is the rear exhaust mount:

Attachments

• Rear_view.jpg
    Rear_view.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 43
With the mount removed, you can see the wear on one end of the rubber bushing. The bushing was working it's way through the mount, and would have fallen off soon.

Attachments

• Old_Grommet.jpg
    Old_Grommet.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 43
Old vs. New

Attachments

• grommet_comparo.jpg
    grommet_comparo.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 43
With the mount removed, it's now easy to see where the circlip fits. The first picture shows the hanging bar welded to the exhaust, the notch is easy to see. The second picture is the circlip, and the last shows the mount and circlip installed. The clip will fit on with the tab either way. If you know I have it reversed, tell me. It's easy to switch.

Attachments

• Clip_Notch.jpg
    Clip_Notch.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 43
You have the clip mounted correctly. I had to replace my rubber grommet as well. The flange on the grommet gave out. Incidentally, spraying the grommet with WD-40 allows the muffler hanger to slide in with minimal fuss and it evaporates before attracting a lot of dirt.

rxcrider, Thanks for the tip on the circlip, I was wondering how that all worked together. The circlip is missing, but the parts guy is sending one.

Acejones, Yeah, I plan to mention it to them, especially since this could have caused damage to a pretty expensive exhaust system. Since I used to be a service advisor (for cars) before, I also see how they missed an easy up-sell. If I knew one mount was bad, I would have had them change all three. Easy money lost.

Dave,
I too, in a previous life (it was a long time ago) was a service mgr for a British Leyland dealer. Its amazing what passes for service advisors these days. Good luck with your fix.

You have the clip mounted correctly. I had to replace my rubber grommet as well. The flange on the grommet gave out. Incidentally, spraying the grommet with WD-40 allows the muffler hanger to slide in with minimal fuss and it evaporates before attracting a lot of dirt.

I had silicone spray, worked great.

Back