• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Ride advice for regional mountain area for summer 2014

ROBERTSI

I am planning a trip leaving from Ontario and going through mich.,minn., Wisconsin.,s.d.,mont.,wyo.,col.,Nebraska and back to Ontario in summer 2014. Any one wishing to share information about special scenic routes and in which states. Also when is the best time weather wise to avoid sand storms and tornados if any. Any info. Would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Happy trails ....rob.

Well, after many years of saying i've got to get to Cody, WY., I finally did.

Cody was base camp for 3 nights and it should have been more. The Buffalo Bill Museum is not to be missed, please search it out.

Yellowstone NP is just west, but my highlights were the Chief Joseph Hwy, and Beartooth Pass.

Attachments

• IMG_3267-S.jpg
    IMG_3267-S.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_3281-S.jpg
    IMG_3281-S.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 151
Certainly agree with Samthg's post.

For Colorado there are 2 great resources: the first is Steve Farson's book (he's an MOA member): The Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado. The second is the Butler Map for Colorado. Colorado is my favorite state for riding, bicycling and fishing, but that's just IMHO.

Smthg is right. If there's one road to ride in the US on a vacation route it would be The chief Joseph Highway north of Cody and over The Beartooth Pass into Red Lodge.

Attachments

• hwy.jpg
    hwy.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 122
  • cjh.jpg
    cjh.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 121
Certainly agree with Samthg's post.

For Colorado there are 2 great resources: the first is Steve Farson's book (he's an MOA member): The Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado. The second is the Butler Map for Colorado. Colorado is my favorite state for riding, bicycling and fishing, but that's just IMHO.

Two of used the guide and map noted above for a few days of riding in Colorado last summer. These are awesome resources. What a state for riding! Planning my next trip already.

Steve Farson book

Two of used the guide and map noted above for a few days of riding in Colorado last summer. These are awesome resources. What a state for riding! Planning my next trip already.

Sounds great. Cannot wait to ride out there.
I am going to check at Chapters to see if I can find Steve Farson's book that you guys are talking about. It seems like it is a "must have " to help me out with my travel plans.
Rob.

There are so many places to see out there, you would need 2 lives. Have been out there 3 times and could go back every year.

You could spend a week alone in the Black Hills of SD. At the least ride the loop and through the Needles highway in the black hills. Devils tower north of Sundance SD is worth a visit. Also taking hwy 14 across the BigHorns to Greybull and on the Cody is a real nice starter for the mountains with a real nice twisty ride up and down. The alternative is Hwy 16 from Buffalo to Worland is also nice. Cannot really go wrong with either.

As far as timing early September is a great time to go as it is finally cooling down and typically a lot drier. Also the popular places can get pretty clogged up with the RV crowd in the peak of the summer. We have always gone out in September and have not seen a drop of rain.

Try Butler Maps http://www.butlermaps.com/Motorcycle-Road-Maps/ for some real decent maps with motorcycle rated roads on them. The rest is scenery and history.

Last edited:
Steve Farsons book

Sounds great. Cannot wait to ride out there.
I am going to check at Chapters to see if I can find Steve Farson's book that you guys are talking about. It seems like it is a "must have " to help me out with my travel plans.
Rob.

I have the book, very informative I wouldnt go to Colorado without it!:brow

A great Montana ride is along Lake Koocanusa (west side) and the USFS road (paved) to Yaak, MT. Twisties, twisties, twisties. Incredible mountain views and... NO TRAFFIC! It's pretty remote so watch out for deer and animals. Did it last year. PM me if you want the GPS route.

Steve's book is available on Amazon.

Beartooth is better going from Red Lodge up, rather than down into Red Lodge (that will put the sweepers on the downhill leg, and the tight switchbacks on the uphill portion).

You will need to accept the fact you will NOT be able to ride every great road out here, so don't try- it's impossible.

Back