• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motolights LED installed!!!

motolights

I did have the original motolights - they blinded the truck drivers and some cars. They were 'adjusted' to what they could be but they did not put light down the road. I finally accepted them as conspicuity lights. While they were installed I had many low beam bulb burn outs that were finally resolved when my Clearwater lights were installed. Other vehicles are not flashing me now and I do see the road surface a bit better but as long as one realizes none of these smaller lights are going to help you see further down the road, then all is good.

You can adjust these to point to the ground if you want so blinding on coming traffic should not be an issue. I mounted them to my wife's C600 and have them so they put light slightly to the sides (to increase chances of critter avoidance) and slightly below level so the beam hits the ground at about 50'. Overall we're pretty satisfied lighting and overall quality but we don't ride fast enough at night to out run the stock lighting so ymmv depending upon how and where you ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm a huge fan of the Motolights for conspicuity. I had the original halogen and did the LED conversion a couple years ago when I had a alternator challenged VStrom 1K. I now have them installed on my GSA. I rode this past weekend with four other motorcycles. One had the Motolights and that's the one I could see in my mirrors. I'll admit there's better options if lighting the night is your primary purpose.

LED Motolights

I had the halogen Motolights on my bike and last year I replaced them with the LED bulbs. The LED is a brilliant white light and gives enough contrast to the headlight that makes the other traffic take notice. The light from my headlight actually looks yellow compared to the LEDs. I would like to get another headlight bulb that would produce a beam that is closer to the white light emitted from the Motolights, but I can't seem to find a source.

I don't expect the Motolights to provide lighting for night riding. Their purpose is supposed to be for additional conspicuity and they certainly do work well with that.

Bill

I have gift certificates for 10%, a few left. It was given to me by the president of Motolights and to hand out at the cop motorcycle, but I have few. PM if you like one. You can use towards the LED bulbs, just saying. :)

........... The LED is a brilliant white light and gives enough contrast to the headlight that makes the other traffic take notice. The light from my headlight actually looks yellow compared to the LEDs. I would like to get another headlight bulb that would produce a beam that is closer to the white light emitted from the Motolights, but I can't seem to find a source.

I don't expect the Motolights to provide lighting for night riding. Their purpose is supposed to be for additional conspicuity and they certainly do work well with that.

Bill

What he said, when you see LED's they are Noticeable, even in bright sunlight, due to the color temp. Plus it is a color that is not common in the environment, so it pops the "what's that" neurons in peoples brains. Just like the safety orange/High vis Yellow/the neon blue LEO lights etc.

People do notice! and that was my goal.

I had the halogen Motolights on my bike and last year I replaced them with the LED bulbs. The LED is a brilliant white light and gives enough contrast to the headlight that makes the other traffic take notice. The light from my headlight actually looks yellow compared to the LEDs. I would like to get another headlight bulb that would produce a beam that is closer to the white light emitted from the Motolights, but I can't seem to find a source.

Bill

go HIDs as your primary lights. crazy stupid amount of vision!

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Xtreme-HID-Kits-s/9954.htm?gclid=CIz_-end47cCFYYWMgodeloA-w

i've been running these in my R11S for about 10 years now, yet to replace a single component. just ordered a set for my F8GS.

According to the folks at Motolight, the LED bulbs have a 10 degree spread vs a 35 degree spread on the halogens. IMHO and those of the folks I ride with, when I am "tail-end-Charlie" the LEDs VERY noticeable almost to the point of being annoying. I've got them adjusted per Motolight specs and, curiously enough, get flashed at night far less often than with the halogens I replaced.

I may not get the conspicuity from vehicle on a sidestreet at 40 degrees (to my travel direction) with the 10 degree spread, but I definitely get noticed from where I need to be when going any normal speed.

I'm sold and very happy with the LED bulbs. BTW, I've got 35W HIDs in for the nightime amd am very satisfied with the entire set-up.

Stan
Lake Tahoe

Back