• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

'12 RT to '13 GSA

.......... I love the RT, it's just that I lust after a GSA. ..........

But lust being the bad thing it is always comes to a predictable end, and that is you lose interest quickly once the lust is satisfied. So the RT is a good decision. Congrats as you already own one of the finest bikes on Planet Earth!

But lust being the bad thing it is always comes to a predictable end, and that is you lose interest quickly once the lust is satisfied. So the RT is a good decision. Congrats as you already own one of the finest bikes on Planet Earth!

Cheers to that!!

Still???

I have several bikes and you always have that in your mind? AM I riding the right bike today? Mine are so different and all are fun rides and getting over that "left bike home thing I should a brought", no pill cures this:). If a CON exists in owning multiple bikes, this is it! I try to think positive and enjoy whatever I chose that trip, forget what you left at home:). Comparing will only make you feel ill, so ride'em all and no worries any particular day. Randy

I have several bikes and you always have that in your mind? AM I riding the right bike today?

I never have that in my mind when I commute or ride locally. Locally being within a few hours of home. When I ride across the country, I couldn't see taking the Wee when there is an RT in the garage. I guess the whole, right tool thing. I was just saying that I've been spoiled riding the RT over long distances, and as much as I like the Wee I couldn't see moving the RT out of the way to take the Suzuki on a trip like that. I'm sure that would be different if I were with several buddies who were on similar bikes.

You will:)

Get a GSA and you will always wonder, I try not to AND enjoy the KLR650 as much as my GSA if its my choice on open road trips. Don't limit yourself and enjoy the smaller bikes too. Sure the RT has comfy, your Strom No? I made my KLR and others comfy and only difference is HP and that's not on the comfy list anyways. Maybe some it is. My main ride is my GSA(like you and RT), but would not hesitate changing for another in my garage, Airheads or KLRs, to perform same trip. To me, all my bikes travel well. GSA is my best, biggest monster in garage. I DO use it most, but only a few years ago, took the Airhead R100/7 on a 10000m journey of NAmerica and even on dirt, Pikes Peak. This was GSA country, old R did well, no complaints. You CAN make the others equal to RT in comfort, just get the right add ons. Our cheapest to buy, KLR has ALL the open road add ons for such travel. Its no touring slouch, only in HP, its lacking. Im not dishing you here, just my "wishing you well" and enjoy all you have. YOU join me in GSA ownership and it even gets better. My last was KLT1200, so I know the change of pace thing youre experiencing with RT. Before the BIG KLT I owned a LOT of GSs and returned to my passion of the Adventure Bikes. I rode the KLT 98000m, all smiles, my current GSA at same miles today. Best Regards to ya and your choices:). SEE ya in Salem....Randy

decisions!

This thread is very much on my mind. I've had a 2011 R1200R for 2 yrs and really enjoy it. I've always had 4 cyl Japanese bike before that treated me well, but wanted a change. Got older, got fatter and slowed down. Love the torque of the R and ride is great. I sat on a R1200GSA and found I had more room to be comfortable. I've looked [lusted] at several including the GSW and am torn. On purpose I have not test ridden at this point because as a retired Jeep salesman I always used the test drive as a successful closing tool. That's a good thing, plus I don't like to tie up a salesperson until I'm ready to make a decision and have funds available. Then I will tie him or her up for heavy product info. I'm not an off roader anymore but like the unpaved roads of Me, NH, VT and NY. They get me areas I would not normally go, that's what I want. BMW has a decent promotion going on till 7/31 on GSA's which helps. I'm doing a trip to the Upper Peninsula within 30 days then I'll have to make a decision to go for it or hold for the time being. I'm babbling on, but that's where I'm at. The comments in this thread have been very helpful, so thank you!

One More Thing

I have never heard of a GS (or GSA) rider going to an RT. Only RT riders going to GS's...
Take the GS pill.....you'll never go back.

Sean Ross

I have never heard of a GS (or GSA) rider going to an RT. Only RT riders going to GS's...

Sean Ross

I have. Both bikes are excellent however the RT is going to be a better highway bike than the GS. Some folks change their mind and decide highway comforts are more important.

Sean Ross

Mmmmm, I did, sort of. There was a VFR in between the two for about 5 years. The RT was a wonderful bike, purchased for all the practical reasons and logic one should buy a RT. That has never worked for me. Motorcycles have always been about passion and lust and that is how I pick them. I sold the RT and bought another used R1100S, the second one I've owned.

Ok, ok, truth be told, I just sold the S and for a few bucks more than I sold the S for I got a stunning low miles R1200R. I just sprung for a little fairing that has a low screen to take care of lust part of the equation. It will be my new "S".

Be like me, buy low, sell high, do it often, and keep changing bikes:laugh You only need one that way.:clap

Well, I made the mistake of a test ride. It took about half way through to find that in my opinion, the GSA was just more fun to ride. Don't get me wrong, I love the RT and I'll miss the cruise. It just seems to fall into corners and I get some wind up my sleeves on hot days, which is the majority of the summer riding season. At the same time get good storm protection which I had the chance to experience while riding across PA on Monday. Some time down the road and I can do it, I'll add an RT to the stable. Right now, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372967965.558234.jpg

Well, I made the mistake of a test ride. It took about half way through to find that in my opinion, the GSA was just more fun to ride. Don't get me wrong, I love the RT and I'll miss the cruise. It just seems to fall into corners and I get some wind up my sleeves on hot days, which is the majority of the summer riding season. At the same time get good storm protection which I had the chance to experience while riding across PA on Monday. Some time down the road and I can do it, I'll add an RT to the stable. Right now, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

View attachment 40843

So, you have succumbed to lust. Obviously substantially different than an RT but a fine bike nonetheless. Me thinks you will enjoy!!

Best of luck with the bike!

So, you have succumbed to lust. Obviously substantially different than an RT but a fine bike nonetheless. Me thinks you will enjoy!!

Best of luck with the bike!

I have, and thank you! Believe it or not, it worked out financially too so it's a win-win at this point. Looking forward to many miles!

Nice bike tuckerman! I would like to have one someday.

Btw, you may want to adjust your signature since it still references the ole RT.

Happy 4th of July.

Scot

I'm just back from an almost 11,000 mile ride from central Illinois up to Alaska and then down to the Rally and back. Bike did fantastic. I'm not a fan of CC and see no need for it. Bike was fully loaded, probably overloaded. I don't think an RT could hold a candle to what my GSA went through, including flying through the air, fully loaded, at 80 KPH after hitting a "road repair" that included a big dip in the road. I di, however, replace the ESA shocks with new Tourartechs while I was at Touratech. The ESA units had 40K on them and were beginning to feel a little weak. The Dalton, at 80 MPH on gravel is a blast by the way. Yes, I know the speed limit is only 50 MPH. But eleven of us had other ideas about the speed limit.

Personally I would love an RT! It's just that I'm unwilling to trade my GS or GSA on one...and my bride doubts my need for a third bike. :nono

Back