• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tool kit gotcha

Somebody here recommended doing repairs at home with the bike toolkit just so you know you have what you think you have. Good idea.

While out riding, I suddenly remembered leaving the right TB locknut loose so stopped to fix it. The 10mm wrench would not fit! I had to ride home without fixing it.

Back home I measured the wrench at 9.92mm. The 8mm on the other end measures 7.96mm.
It's always been my assumption that fasteners are made very slightly undersize and I know that tools are made slightly oversize. IIRC Proto tools were pretty sloppy. My good 10mm at home measures 10.2mm.

Check your toolkits guys, specially you off roaders.

Wow, Proto usually makes quality tools, at least on par with Craftsman & Kobalt. I hate to pay Snap-on prices for something I don't use all the time, so I normally stay with the mid-grade stuff.

I've been wanting a good all inclusive kit for the bike, but don't want to pay through the nose... I should just make a list & take from my box when I travel. What kit do you have?

I've been wanting a good all inclusive kit for the bike, but don't want to pay through the nose... I should just make a list & take from my box when I travel. What kit do you have?

I have the kit that came with the used bike. I believe it's the original. I added a couple of Allen keys and an 11mm wrench. And I filed down the 8/10mm wrench so it works now!

All inclusive is a lofty goal. Your best bet there is to ride about a mile ahead of Paul Glaves!

I can remove either wheel, all tupperware, battery, and probably more with help and improvisation.

LOL, you mean ride ahead of Paul by a mile...oops YOU DID SAY THAT.... ,must be the ADD hitting me.. or oldztimers...

I dont think Paul drops tools or has to stop THAT often..LOL

I have replaced my entire tool kit with quality tools. All the tools that I carry everyday + a few spare parts & fasteners with my first-aid kit weigh 80lbs. They almost fill up both of my side cases.

Everyday toolkit?:dunno
So much for confidence in the reliability of the modern day BMW:p

I think the 80lb kit exceeds my topcase and sidecase weight limitations.:laugh

Why so many tools? If they fill your sidecases how do you pack for trips? Just wondering.
I always keep the top case empty my clothes go in a waterproof bag on the rear seat & if needed I put a waterproof bag on the top case rack.

When I first viewed the above picture I though "this is the textbook definition of overkill". But then I got to thinking, if I was stuck on the side of the road with trouble, Saddleman is exactly the BMWMOA member I would want to happen by and offer assistance. Saddleman, I hope you're in the Anonymous Book, because if I'm ever in need in the NC area, I hope I'm able to find you.

Cheers Brother,
Huntersville NC the last two numbers are 88

Everyday toolkit?:dunno
So much for confidence in the reliability of the modern day BMW:p

I think the 80lb kit exceeds my topcase and sidecase weight limitations.:laugh
It has nothing to do with my confidence of my BMW I just find it easier to keep all the tools that I ever need to work on it on the bike. Also the fact that most dealers are closed on Sun. & Mon. plus at any given time I'm 200 to 400 miles away from any dealer. I don't want a good trip spoiled by a little problem. I have enough tool & parts to rebuild my FD & go as deep as the slave cyl. on the side of the road if I need to.

Yes both side cases are almost twice the recommended 22lbs per case. They are packed tight enough so that nothing can move around. It has been that way for over 50,000 miles & so far so good on the four tabs that hold the cases on. I have been able to help others on the road at times & all I ask is to return the favor some day if possible.

Too many tools?

I remember teaming up with an Englishman while in France for a tour. It was 1984. He carried a tool roll of about 30 lbs strapped along the back seat and had some more in the cases. In the week we were together, he wore full leathers with a T-shirt and a sweater. Period. No other clothes and the only other things he brought in his cases were a little kettle and burner for tea and a box of Mars bars. He never did trust the continental food. I really was 'impressed'. He figured that he could do all the work on his R with those tools anywhere he went because he literally built the bike at home with them before the trip. He will always be my hero.

Back