• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

09 F650GS - where is the damn fusebox?

chelseaboy

09 F650GS, 08 Suzuki Band
Can't find it, and of course the manual doesn't say where it is. I blew the auxiliary fuse using a mini tire compressor from the aux plug, but can't find the damn box to replace the fuse, its driving me crazy.

Thanks

Norm

Norm,

A Google search for "F650 Manual" brought up this link:

http://www.otc-mc.org/~197/mc/F650GS_EU.pdf

which turns out to be the factory service manual. At page 61.9, it says:

Replacing fuses
Motorcycle fuses
Remove seat. • Open the cover of the fuse box. • Replace the defective fuse.

Last edited:
Norm/ David,

The link that David found is for a 1999 F650GS, the earlier single-cylinder model.

Norm is asking about a 2009 model F650GS, the newer twin-cylinder model.

On the 2009+ models, there are NO fuses. It's a Canbus network system.

If I understand Norm, you plugged a mini tire compressor into the auxiliary plug
opening--on the front of the (2009) F650GS tank. That auxiliary plug has--I think--a 5amp total load restriction programmed by the Canbus system, and the Canbus system will automatically "sense" and shut down/ off any accessory whose total load exceeds 5amps.

I don't know exactly what you mean or what happened when you say "...blew a fuse." Does that mean that the mini compressor simply shut off? If that's the case, it (simply) means that you can't and won't be able to operate that mini compressor off the auxiliary plug--because the compressor's electrical load exceeds 5 amps. To use that mini compressor, you'll have to connect it directly to the battery...or re-wire the auxiliary plug directly to the battery.

(If you have any electrical documentation/ specs for the mini compressor, check it's
electrical load/ draw)

Of course, there may be other explanations, e.g., some other electrical "fault" in
the mini compressor itself, or the F650GS Canbus system.

good luck

That's correct, no fuses.

The auxillary receptacle should have turned back on, check it with a multimeter to verify.

Regards, Rod.

Ah ha!

Norm/ David,

The link that David found is for a 1999 F650GS, the earlier single-cylinder model.

Norm is asking about a 2009 model F650GS, the newer twin-cylinder model.

On the 2009+ models, there are NO fuses. It's a Canbus network system.

If I understand Norm, you plugged a mini tire compressor into the auxiliary plug
opening--on the front of the (2009) F650GS tank. That auxiliary plug has--I think--a 5amp total load restriction programmed by the Canbus system, and the Canbus system will automatically "sense" and shut down/ off any accessory whose total load exceeds 5amps.

I don't know exactly what you mean or what happened when you say "...blew a fuse." Does that mean that the mini compressor simply shut off? If that's the case, it (simply) means that you can't and won't be able to operate that mini compressor off the auxiliary plug--because the compressor's electrical load exceeds 5 amps. To use that mini compressor, you'll have to connect it directly to the battery...or re-wire the auxiliary plug directly to the battery.

(If you have any electrical documentation/ specs for the mini compressor, check it's
electrical load/ draw)

Of course, there may be other explanations, e.g., some other electrical "fault" in
the mini compressor itself, or the F650GS Canbus system.

good luck

OK, that explains it...but the accessory outlet did not turn itself back on. But I'll test it again...Next time I'll use the mini compressor directly off the battery, I get it. Thanks for the help!

Norm

Stock the accessory plug is useless with its 5 amp rating. If you want to be able to run electric clothing, battery tender, or tire pump wire the accessory plug directly to the battery.

That was one of the first things I did to my F650GS.

Live and learn...

Stock the accessory plug is useless with its 5 amp rating. If you want to be able to run electric clothing, battery tender, or tire pump wire the accessory plug directly to the battery.

Ya I have a dongle wired for heated gear, never thought to plug the tire pump into it, but will next time. The accessory plug is good for charging a phone I guess, that's about it.

Just picked up on this thread...VERY GOOD INFO, I had planned to head out on a long ride with an airpump wired for the stock accessory plug. Probably more than 5amps and wouldn't have worked.

I'm being lazy here but do you know which colour wire is +ve on the accessory plug outlet, or, is it easy to tell when you get in there?

Thanks VERY much, Steve

I am glad I read this thread as I did not know the auxiliary plug will only hold up to 5 amps and I carry an air pump in case I need it on trips not knowing I couldn't ever use the auxiliary plug for the air pump. Now I will need to do what has been suggested....

Disconect the battery to reset the canbus plug. Hook the battery back up and plug should work. You can check this with your local wrench. A similar thing happened to my RT and this worked.

Jack

Just picked up on this thread...VERY GOOD INFO, I had planned to head out on a long ride with an airpump wired for the stock accessory plug. Probably more than 5amps and wouldn't have worked.

I'm being lazy here but do you know which colour wire is +ve on the accessory plug outlet, or, is it easy to tell when you get in there?

Thanks VERY much, Steve

I got a $8 adapter for the SAE connector from the pump to plug into the dongle I already have for the heated gear, and it works like a charm. Didn't need to wire the accessory plug to the battery.

I did not have to disconnect battery

I did not have to disconnect battery only to unplug and turn motor off then restart and plug in. Of course my gerbings were pulling to much so now I wire direct.

Back