• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

might be 'jap crap' but

f14rio

i really, really like this machine.
8264528178_388fc73d38_c.jpg

I believe those bikes were always well known for their top notch quality.
I think they (the new models) still are well known for excellent quality.
dc

I believe those bikes were always well known for their top notch quality.
I think they (the new models) still are well known for excellent quality.
dc

Hard to know what "quality" means.

Does it mean an uncomfortably high center of gravity?

Does it mean a buzzy engine?

Or is it simply the older we get the better we were?

Not crap at all.
The 750 was a game changer, my brother had one.
There's a guy who sometimes rides with us on a 550 he got for a dollar.
It runs like a champ.
I've always liked the Honda 4s.

Riding a motorcycle isn't always the best option although we choose it when we can.
Riding the latest and greatest motorcycle may not be what you choose either.

Cool bike, I'd prefer 4 silencers.
That would lower the cg. :D

Hard to know what "quality" means.

Does it mean an uncomfortably high center of gravity?

Does it mean a buzzy engine?

Or is it simply the older we get the better we were?

Based on the 5 Hondas I had, it meant they kept going and going and going and going, etc.

Problem is, this is what it was supposed to look like when they originally envisioned it a couple of years ago.

I would have one of these 10 minutes after it hit the showroom floor.

CB1100R-1.jpg

And I still have this in my garage. My first real bike that I bought brand new in 1981.

honda_01.jpg

Problem is, this is what it was supposed to look like when they originally envisioned it a couple of years ago.

I would have one of these 10 minutes after it hit the showroom floor.

CB1100R-1.jpg

And I still have this in my garage. My first real bike that I bought brand new in 1981.

The bike you have shown was indeed a concept bike almost 5 years ago a cb1100r; however, the one the OP posted is a dead ringer for the 2007 cb1100f concept bike. Two different concept bikes; one being produced for 2013 and the beautiful one you posted sadly is not being produced.

Pic from 2007 motorcycle show
i-NS6Tm2F-M.jpg

Does anything make you happy?

Sure, back in the day when UJMs were the thing, the Airhead was a better choice.

BMW today has lots of better choices than this Honda, although I'd have to admit I wouldn't be happy with BMW if I were so seriously looking for nostalgia. But, I'm a looking forward kind of guy and that's a great way to be happy.

(UJM = universal Japanese motorcycle for those that missed that era, and this is exactly that look.)

As for "going and going and going," well that's another market entirely. I suggest to my friends on Mercedes and BMW car forums, for example, that their cars are closer to Ferraris than they are to Camrys (or refrigerators). Same pretty much applies to BMW motorcycles.

It's kind of silly I know, but I think those looking for refrigerator-like reliability and "economy" owning BMW motorcycles are simply suffering buyer's remorse or feeling otherwise guilty about how much fun they're having and how nice their bike is. There's even more fun to be had if the guilt is left behind.

Back in the 60's and 70's, a teenager couldn't afford a BMW airhead, but could definitely afford a CB350 or CB450. The '69 Honda CB750 was a game changer.

Honda and other Japanese motorcycle companies introduced literally millions of people to motorcycling. My first motorcycle was a Honda, I was 13 years old. When I returned to motorcycling at age 40 after 19 years away from riding, I bought a Honda.

Technology is a wonderful thing. BMW has done some very good things with technology, especially in the last 10 years or so.

Some people these days want a retro bike. This is why the new Bonnevilles are selling pretty well. They're not really "retro", though, since they have the advantages of a lot of more modern features. So, really what they want is a modern bike that "looks" retro. That's the new Honda CB1100.

Retro? I guess I understand it, but IÔÇÖm not a big fan.

I sort of like the CB1100f. I sat on it at the M/C show but was not real impressed.

It could be because I have already owned the bikebefore it became retro, when it was cutting edge in 76.
194560403_PGYih-O.jpg

I am a big Honda fan, I have owned a few. Now the new Honda NC700X, that was a nice scoot at the show.

What about the "retro" Duc from four or five years ago. Did not sell worth a cr_p!
I liked it, but most people did not. To this day, I don't understand why it did not corner the market on retro looking bikes.

To me, all the Jap bikes look the same and always have. I can only think of three that stand out. Honda Transalp, the Pacific Coast,and the XN85(compare it to the K75s).

I don't understand why people think the Honda 750 was a put the bike world upside down cutting edge machine. The Yamaha XS750 was shaft drive(Yamaha's equal to the K75 standard ?)and to me it was much more cutting edge (a little newer too). Still, it just looked like another universal jap bike.

Attachments

• yamaha xs750 triple.jpg
    yamaha xs750 triple.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 168
While I do like a standard Jap bike for running around town, as I have stated before, I am not going to give $10K for a bike that was designed in 1976. $5K or maybe $6K sure, but at $10, Honda is out of their mind.

Sure, back in the day when UJMs were the thing, the Airhead was a better choice.

BMW today has lots of better choices than this Honda, although I'd have to admit I wouldn't be happy with BMW if I were so seriously looking for nostalgia. But, I'm a looking forward kind of guy and that's a great way to be happy.

(UJM = universal Japanese motorcycle for those that missed that era, and this is exactly that look.)

As for "going and going and going," well that's another market entirely. I suggest to my friends on Mercedes and BMW car forums, for example, that their cars are closer to Ferraris than they are to Camrys (or refrigerators). Same pretty much applies to BMW motorcycles.

It's kind of silly I know, but I think those looking for refrigerator-like reliability and "economy" owning BMW motorcycles are simply suffering buyer's remorse or feeling otherwise guilty about how much fun they're having and how nice their bike is. There's even more fun to be had if the guilt is left behind.

Not to "attack you":wave again but you obviously haven't bought refridgerator lately cause they're not like they used to be, I know from my pocketbook.

Back