• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1985 K100 Drive shaft splines

Still experimenting

Sorry Todd, I thought this thread had fallen into ablivian(sp). I am still experimenting and the real true will not be known till next winter when I do winter service again. I put 100ccs in the shaft compartment and ran it a while and drained 75cc out when I took it apart because the drive shaft boot leaked. I am assuming that 25cc went up to the boot. So I only put 75cc back in. I will check it again and your method be for the real ridding season begins.

I had a small drill press vice and a drill press. It took me about an hour to make sure I had parrallel and perpendicular. After that it was just drill and tap. I used a 8 by 1.25 bolt that I cut off to make a plug with a crush washer. I suspect a normal washer and teflon tape would be suficient.

I cant seem to get more then one picture per post so will make 2more posts

Attachments

• DSCN2198 (640x426).jpg
    DSCN2198 (640x426).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 136
next picture

I used plenty of cutting fluid for both the drill and the tap because of the alloy.

Attachments

• DSCN2202 (640x427).jpg
    DSCN2202 (640x427).jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 136
here is the plug

If there is any thing that I didn't include--- Let me know Harold in Kansas

PS don't look at the quality of the splines. This was an experimental piece not the one that went on the rig.

Attachments

• DSCN2205 (640x427).jpg
    DSCN2205 (640x427).jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 135
Drilled & Tapped 1995 K75 Final Drive for Lube

Well, I finally got around to drilling and tapping final drive , so I could fill it with gear lube rather than having to disassemble and grease it every year ( and hoping the grease holds up between lubes ) .

I sealed the final drive to swingarm with Hylomar sealant , then filled it with 130cc ~ 4.5 oz of 90-140 gear lube and took a nice 50 mile ride up and down a bunch of steep hills . No leaks !

Looking into the fill hole the lube comes 75% up the sides of the drive shaft. When giving the wheel a spin and I can clearly see the lube circulating . It's certainly getting plenty of lubrication now in this constant gear lube bath.

Backstory : My K75 has 38,000 miles on it . I've always lubed the drive shaft spline with Honda Moly 60 whenever I replaced the rear tire , and usually found the grease almost non-existent when I did . Because of that the drive shaft picked up some wear / notching in the splines but not too bad yet . I believe with this gear lube mod the shaft should now last indefinitely ( and my hands will stay a lot cleaner ! ) .

To me this mod is clearly worth the time and effort ... in case anyone else is interested ...

Regards , Todd

Attachments

• plugged.jpg
    plugged.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 96
I haven't had a lot of time to test my modification. I put it on my solo K100RT to test it out before I put it on my side car. The first time I used it the oil came out of the swingarm boot. It had a little rip in it so I replaced the boot. I replaced the boot and put 100 cc in the swingarm and it leaked at the boot again. At this point the bike was put for the summer. This fall I have returned to the bike and at this point I have greased the splines and put in 50 cc to see if the oil will stay in the swingarm. It this doesn't work I will pull the swingarm glue and clamp the boot. For the summer and my sidecar rig I tried my first senerio. I filled the driveshaft with insulation foam, stuffed in some plastic on top of that and filled the rest with grease. I have about 4000 miles on that test. I will pull it some time this fall and I will report. Please report on how your mod is working for you Harold in Kansas

The mod you have done is the same set up as the airheads had prior to the single side swing arm monolever. The oil does migrate up the drive shaft and into the boot area and then goes back down the drive shaft tube and so on and so on.

There is no reason it shouldn't work and looks like a fairly simple mod.

The mod you have done is the same set up as the airheads had prior to the single side swing arm monolever. The oil does migrate up the drive shaft and into the boot area and then goes back down the drive shaft tube and so on and so on.

There is no reason it shouldn't work and looks like a fairly simple mod.

The boot at the front is remarkably different. On an Airhead it clamps in place. On a K bike it just slips over as a friction fit - dust seal. Given the shape of the front of the boot I'm not sure how to clamp it. I'd have to pull a swingarm to figure that out and I'm not going there right now.

How is this mod working out after all these years?

I realize this thread is older than dirt, but that's exactly what makes it so good to inquire about.

Since it's been years since this was posted, would it be possible to get an update on how this mod is working out? Did it maintain the splines as expected? Was the oil contained or did it ever leak? How often did you change the oil?

Back