• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

No Reverse?

???

They sure went with "every other" electrical device on the planet!!! No reverse is correct. You just may need an engineering degree to figure the devices all out, as I thought it was way overkill on my test ride. Its clearly an educational event to own this new bike, maybe a few weeks! Cheapy Japan style turn signal switches were a first bad impression, probably quickly gotten over as this bike is pretty fine all around, just Sooooooo complicated with gadgets. I'm just not sure they did themselves any favors with so much busy stuff on a bike. Guess I'm not a future customer on this model and I hope it sells well for those that are driven by gadgets. I enjoyed the test ride, but! Randy:usa

no reverse ?

10-4 on the "but......"
I was dedicated to buying one until I heard that. It's not much less than a LT and without the reverse feature I would have been in a pickle more often than I care to remember.
All the gadgetry is another slow-down. I'll probably wait until I can get one without all the options, or at least, the ones I want.

10-4 on the "but......"
I was dedicated to buying one until I heard that. It's not much less than a LT and without the reverse feature I would have been in a pickle more often than I care to remember.
All the gadgetry is another slow-down. I'll probably wait until I can get one without all the options, or at least, the ones I want.

You may be waiting quite some time... I doubt you will see a reverse option any time soon (or ever) since if it was an easy add-on, I'm sure they would have offered it initially. Also BMW seems to sell their options in packages, so finding a bike with certain options a la carte may also be tough.

I doubt you will see a reverse option any time soon (or ever) since if it was an easy add-on, I'm sure they would have offered it initially.
+1 :thumb

On the K12LT the starter and tranny were arranged such that it was easy to add a reversing geartrain to the front/top of the tranny and extend the starter motor's shaft to the rear to engage with the tranny to drive the reverse.

On the K16, no way -- the starter and the gearbox section are arranged such that this is just not possible, at least not without signficantly redesigning the middle section of the bike and the engine cases to accommodate all the required bits -- that just ain't gonna happen.

FWIW for the "I don't want it without reverse" crowd, two thoughts:

(i) I have a 29-30" inseam, and appreciated the LT's reverse at times -- on the K16, it's totally unnecessary.

(ii) What did you do before reverse was added to bikes?? I don't know about you, but I thought about where and how I was parking, and planned/parked
accordingly.

My point: Lack of reverse is NO excuse for not purchasing a K16 -- something else may be driving your hestitation, but reverse can't be it.

Last edited:
reverse

once on my lt I NEEDED it, only once, had i been on my present harley davidson, I would of just parked and got a hand. It was a stupid reason on my part, I rode a 900lb tour bike down a slightly damp dirt trail down hill. got to the end, and there was no where to turn around.

as for any other time, I always look for my parking spot, and if it is sloped down, i back in. if it is an uphill grade, i ride in.

For the most part, people who are on the fence of purchasing one, or not sure they can afford one, will come up with any reason to bash the bike.

I love it, I am glad it isnt an lt, I am glad its not a honda, I am glad it isnt a harley davidson, heck im glad it clunks into gear and has a twitchy throttle too....
That will just keep all the fence bound complainers on their present bikes, and let those of us who want to ride perhaps the best sport tour bike out there to have them available to us.

If your happy on what your riding, then why would you be considering riding something else?

Enjoy your electric kick stand.

FWIW for the "I don't want it without reverse" crowd, two thoughts:

(i) I have a 29-30" inseam, and appreciated the LT's reverse at times -- on the K16, it's totally unnecessary.

(ii) What did you do before reverse was added to bikes?? I don't know about you, but I thought about where and how I was parking, and planned/parked
accordingly.

My point: Lack of reverse is NO excuse for not purchasing a K16 -- something else may be driving your hestitation, but reverse can't be it.

Forethought obviates the need for reverse, IMHO.

You DO NOT need reverse on this bike. I was originally petrified about adding 200 lbs to my RT and having to maneuver it....glad to say it's not a huge deal....plan ahead

Back