• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How to clean Held gloves?

beemermyke

I have the Steve Held gloves and they have black on top, and the natural tan color on the bottom. I don't have the tags anymore for these gloves, so I have no idea how to properly clean and/or treat them. Can anyone offer any suggestions? They're two years old, and they are long overdue!

I have the Steve Held gloves and they have black on top, and the natural tan color on the bottom. I don't have the tags anymore for these gloves, so I have no idea how to properly clean and/or treat them. Can anyone offer any suggestions? They're two years old, and they are long overdue!

I wash all my leather gloves, when they need it, in the washing machine, on the delicate cycle, cold water, with Woolite. Let them air dry. Sometimes they're a little crispy the first time I put them on, but they quickly soften up. I have one pair which REALLY gets stinky. I wash them twice. Actually, I don't wear them any more.

To neutralize sweat several leather people recommend that you soak them in water and vinegar mix. I have done this a couple of times to my Helds, I soak them then put them on and wash them like I would wash my hands. Then a clean water rinse and jet them dry SLOW, no heater, just place them on a towel.

After dry, I use Effax, again I just put the gloves on and dip into the Effax and rub it in like I was applying hand lotion, agan let them sit to soak in and in a day or two they are clean and supple.

I suggest following Helds cleaning instructions http://www.heldusa.com/glove_care.html

From the Held instructions "Allow to continue drying. After the gloves are completely dry, apply a good quality leather conditioner. This is very important. Properly treated and conditioned (oiled) leather will breathe and the internal micro fibers will move freely in the leather. Use a good quality leather conditioner that will allow the leather to breathe. Apply conditioner generously and rub into the leather."

Effax was what they gave me AT the HELD factory store in Germany.

Best thing to "wash leather" with, is saddle soap. Just use it at the sink like hand soap to un-stink your old funky gloves. Hang dry until just damp, then rub a bunch of saddle soap into the leather.

I've used good quality leather cleaners and conditioners when needed (e.g. Hein Gerike and Lexol brands for me). That tan section is kangaroo hide and I love the feel-with-protection that realtively thin layer gives (had Profi's, now wear their Storms).

I've worn my Held Steves for nearly four years. I've never cleaned them and they're doing fine. They don't get hard core Texas summer wear (I wear mesh Held Air gloves from May through September). But I'd guess the Steves have a good 25,000 miles on them and there's not a hint of leather deterioration.

The Held Air (and the Held Fresh, which preceded them), last for a couple of summers of hard core sweating. But in my experience the leather remains okay. Its the stitching that connects the leather to the polyester mesh material that breaks down.

I can tell where the Steves will wear out. Several of the fingertips are wearing thin from use. I'm guessing thats from covering and using the clutch and throttle. One day they'll wear through, but I'm pretty sure it won't be during this winter riding season. BTW, I already have their replacements: a pair of Steves with red & black on the back of the hand, and their regular light tan color on the palm. Around a year ago I found 'em in my size for sale at my local dealership!

IMHO, let the Steves dry naturally in an open environment somewhere, and don't wear them in pouring rain. I keep a pair of rain gloves in my hard bag and use them when needed.

Wear um

I'm on my second set of Held Steves. The first set wore out at a finger tip at about 80k. I never washed them and I did put Luxol on them a time or two. They never got stiff and I'm sure they got a wash in summer rains several times. Great gloves! Other leather gloves I have cleaned were scrubbed with sadle soap and then when dry treated with Luxol. I've done this with everything from Bison to Deer to Pigskin to Cowhide. :bikes

Back