• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New York to LA

davewax

I am planning a trip across country this year between jobs on my F800ST (with factory side cases - and some supplemental soft storage). As of today, I have never ridden more than 6 or so hours in a day, and am aware that I have a lot of planning and preparation in front of me. I plan to take my time, and stay with friends in Ann Arbor, Austin, Denver, Omaha, and LA (if possible - no need for Austin if its 120, or Denver if snow starts early). Having an adventure and discovering America is my primary goal - as is avoiding any and all national chains (http://tolawithoutchains.blogspot.com/).

Outside of preparing by taking a few trips with back to back 6 hour riding days, I would appreciate any advice on routes (if I leave in July, August or September), visibility aides (so others can see me), lighting upgrades (so I can see others), and GPS/weather tracking suggestions (so I don't end up in Oz).

Also - general encouragement is welcome as I am planning the trip between jobs - with the assumption that I will get another one when I return.

Thank you all in advance for any help.

David

Outside of preparing by taking a few trips with back to back 6 hour riding days, I would appreciate any advice on routes (if I leave in July, August or September), visibility aides (so others can see me), lighting upgrades (so I can see others), and GPS/weather tracking suggestions (so I don't end up in Oz).

I've got a "Super-See-Me" vest in hi-viz yellow: http://www.conspicuity.us/vests.html#super

It's black mesh with the hi-viz yellow reflective chevrons in front, and a large hi-viz yellow reflective panel on the back, high enough to be seen over a duffle bag. The mesh allows some air flow and also keeps bugs off your jacket. There are plenty of other hi-viz vests available.

I also recommend a white helmet for conspicuity. Use ear plugs to keep the noise down and protect your hearing.

Start each day early and make plenty of short rest stops. I can't stay on a bike much more than an hour at a time, especially later in the day. I'm not an Ironbutt rider but I have done some long road trips. The key for me are the rest stops. I simply have to get off the bike and move around, and fairly often. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. You'll be riding in hot, humid weather and hot, extremely dry weather. I've got a Hyperkewl vest that you soak in water and wear under a jacket and a Camelbak in hi-viz yellow for water while riding, both to deal with heat.

Good luck,

Harry

Harry,

Appreciate the advice - I had been focused more on lighting than day-glo - But it makes a lot of sense to double up. Do you like the cooling vest, I have heard of them but never tried? the east coast is wet enough as it is.

Cool vest

My brother and I rode from Arizona to Arkansas and Missouri last summer. We each had a cool vest that we soaked in cold water, put them on when they were dripping wet and it was like having air conditioning on your torso for 3 - 4 hours when they would evaporate out. We then stopped at a convenience market and bought a gallon of cold water, filled a trash bag with same and resoaked the vests. Unbelieveable how great they were.
We also kept our camel backs filled with water and ice to rehydrate ourselves any time we pleased.

it was like having air conditioning on your torso for 3 - 4 hours when they would evaporate out. We then stopped at a convenience market and bought a gallon of cold water, filled a trash bag with same and resoaked the vests. Unbelieveable how great they were.

Awesome review of those vests - I definitely need to look into this.

Thanks!

David

Nobody has talked about "routes" because the possibilities are truly infinite.
It boils down to how much time you are willing to spend in any particular area.
If time permits, I'd heartily recommend criss-crossing the northern Rockies, the Oregon/Washington Cascades, and the California Sierras.
If you can spend time in the great National Parks, absolutely take your time in Yellowstone, Glacier, Canyonlands through Grand Canyon, and Yosemite. The annual pass (good for all National Parks) will save a few bucks in the long run, and considering how badly their funds have been cut, it'll be appreciated.

Routes

I agree - the route options are staggering. I just put on bedrest for a newly mangled toe and have been doing some thinking on just that topic.

If anyone has checked out my blog - I am doing a bit of a food tour - and staying with friends over hopefully a three or four week period. I am definitely stopping in Denver, then want to head north, check out this Lolo pass road I just discovered - and plan to do a lot of national park stops along the way.

The season pass is a really good idea - I will pick one up in advance - even if I don't use it enough they need a bit of financial love.

Last edited:
If you plan on passing through Texas in July on your way to California, make sure you do have a cool vest and a Camelbak. I make a trip to California every year from Texas and I never go without my vest, Camelbak and my light grey vented Revit suit.

The Beartooth pass looks amazing. Tons of great reviews of it. Good call, definitely looking into stopping there.

I only ride with rev'it gear these days - they make fantastic stuff. I have the Ignition Jacket and Gear Pant combination - which is fantastic in all but the hotest weather. I am not a huge fan of the zip in waterproof liner for this trip though - so I am considering an upgrade to something like the Atlantis from BMW.

U.S. Highway System

Hi.
First off, best of luck with your trip!

I've been cross country, and also just about everywhere except up along the northern routes.
Whenever possible, I love to stick to the older US highways. Of course this takes plenty of extra time, so I often combine quick connector shots on bigger slabs (aka interstates/ freeways) with longer, slower stretches of smaller roads.
The old US hiway "system" has lots of mom-n-pop type places to eat and to stay. You can more easily avoid franchise or chain eateries, and find the coolest older motels too. In terms of interaction with humans, this is always best off the interstates too. Just a suggestion, but when I have the time, this is how I travel (two wheels or four). I find it much more rewarding than sitting at 80 MPH for hours on end, throwing down "food products" along the way.

From reading your original post, sounds like this is just what you are seeking. Definitely check it out.
Tom

You will certainly enjoy the trip you are planning. It's a bit more ambitious than the one I did last year. I left one year ago today, having wanted to do so for over thirty years. Worth every penny.

For details, see http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/ it has some pictures as well as prep info. And, after the trip I did a post showing what I took, used, or did not use. May help you.

I used the slab a lot in the US and found it fine. Even McDonalds serves salad plus chicken, which became my favorite lunch, fast and reasonably nutritious. You will likely find better eateries ... I was just too lazy.

A quick trip through the Badlands park, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Devil's Tower - all in one day - was certainly a highlight. That area deserves more time. Quite the area. Don't miss it.

I travelled in June, encountered more rain than anticipated. I used my heated vest nearly every day. It's often cool in the mornings, in rain, up high, ... .

Saw critters dead on the road nearly every morning too. If you travel at night, be careful. A collision with a critter will spoil your trip. Better to be relaxing somewhere.

Will you be posting in your blog? Will watch for it. Enjoy your trip.

Hi.
First off, best of luck with your trip!

I've been cross country, and also just about everywhere except up along the northern routes.
Whenever possible, I love to stick to the older US highways. Of course this takes plenty of extra time, so I often combine quick connector shots on bigger slabs (aka interstates/ freeways) with longer, slower stretches of smaller roads.
The old US hiway "system" has lots of mom-n-pop type places to eat and to stay. You can more easily avoid franchise or chain eateries, and find the coolest older motels too. In terms of interaction with humans, this is always best off the interstates too. Just a suggestion, but when I have the time, this is how I travel (two wheels or four). I find it much more rewarding than sitting at 80 MPH for hours on end, throwing down "food products" along the way.

From reading your original post, sounds like this is just what you are seeking. Definitely check it out.
Tom

Tom,

The old US Highway System plan sounds fantastic for what I am looking to do. I need to start doing some research. Good thing I only have a few more days with anything but free time.

David

Saw critters dead on the road nearly every morning too. If you travel at night, be careful. A collision with a critter will spoil your trip. Better to be relaxing somewhere.

Will you be posting in your blog? Will watch for it. Enjoy your trip.

Will definitely be posting on the blog throughout the trip - and durring my pre-trip trip to Europe (Will apologize now for any law related posts - there will be a few).

As of today, I have never ridden more than 6 or so hours in a day, and am aware that I have a lot of planning and preparation in front of me.

You've received good info about the ride from others, and I hope you'll get more. But I'd like to address a different issue: your endurance. Six hours in the saddle is a pretty good day, but it can take on a different weight when you do it Monday, then again Tuesday, then again Wednesday, and so on. Your idea to try a series of multiday 6-hours-a-day trips for practice is a good one. So is staying with friends; I like to do that too. Even if friends are not available, I find I sometimes spend two nights in a place, just so I have a day off.

I've ridden from WA to MN (and back) at least once a year. We visit Missoula, MT a lot and I've done Lolo Pass numerous times. meh. Its a fun road, but way too many RV's for my taste. If you don't mind a few miles of hard packed dirt, this is a MUCH better road. Dirt from St Regis to the ID/MT border, then paved.

http://goo.gl/maps/sKcru

And since I really don't like the slab, here's an alternative from Devils Tower. You can incorporate Lolo into it, just head north once you get to Clarkston, WA. If you insist on heading to Seattle, I highly recommend North Cascades Hwy (SR20). On this route, you even get a free ferry ride across the Columbia River. lol.

http://goo.gl/maps/oVlLA

There are soooo many roads out here.

Other interesting places to see. Anaconda, MT. Its between Butte and Missoula. Head up Hwy 1 off I-90, stay the night there, have a great steak dinner. Then continue on Hwy 1 back up to 90. OR, from 1, take 38 to Hamilton. Then north on 93 to Lolo and up Hwy 12. You can avoid Missoula altogether that way.

Sounds like a fun trip. We're headed east this year...but it isn't going to be until December. If only there wasn't snow. hahahaha

You've received good info about the ride from others, and I hope you'll get more. But I'd like to address a different issue: your endurance. Six hours in the saddle is a pretty good day, but it can take on a different weight when you do it Monday, then again Tuesday, then again Wednesday, and so on. Your idea to try a series of multiday 6-hours-a-day trips for practice is a good one. So is staying with friends; I like to do that too. Even if friends are not available, I find I sometimes spend two nights in a place, just so I have a day off.

Dave - appreciate the good thoughts and the suggestion. Just to ease your mind - I expect to spend multiple days in a few places along my route(especially east of the Rockies). I just quit a job with one of those huge law firms, so the last few years of paychecks are paying for me to take my time.

This is awesome! My wife found this website and I plan to use it to do some longer rides soon:

https://roadtrippers.com/

It has options for highways/byways and food, lodging, etc... Along the way. Check it.

From your maps it seems like you're passing by the SF Bay Area, if you do and need a break, PM me and I'd be happy to take you to a non-chain restaurant :)

Mark E

David, you have gotten lots of good advice. Your trip sounds wonderful and you will remember it for the rest of your life ... which brings me to my two points I want to make for you.

1. Keep a journal and plan to make it available to your kids, grandkids, etc. Some day you will be just another old man, but if they can read about this trip they can say, "My dad/granddad did that! Cool!"
2. Pack less. Whatever you plan to take, reduce it by half. There is always another Walmart in the next town where you can buy something. If it isn't critical, forget it and keep riding.

Route

A couple of suggestions.

First, obtain a National Park Service Passport book. Take the map out that shows the National Parks, Monuments, etc.

With the time that you have, review the rules from the Iron Butt Association for the National Parks Tour (linky: http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/)

Second, Get the Rand McNally maps of the US.

Third, Make a list of the locations you have as must visit ie Beartooth Pass.

Create your route using all the above.

The National Parks tour will send to you places you never thought of, put you on roads you never new existed, will increase your knowledge of the history of this great country, and will make a very memorable trip along with completing an Iron Butt ride.

Good luck and have fun

bob

Back