• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

HJC Helmets anyone?

I have had several models of HJC, never the modular, and I like them. I currently have two full face and one 3/4 HJC helmets. I crash tested an HJC many years ago and I believe it saved my life.

I have a 10 month old Sy-Max. Don't care for it much...

The visor will not stay up. I like to ride with it that way, but the wind at speed forces it down. This started to happen after about the first few rides.

The ear hole area I filled with cut to fit micro fiber towels. Worked great and actually made the in ear customs sound better.

The sunshade is to light and mine is distorted, right where I look through it.

probably my head shape (long oval) but glasses will not work with it. Mine are held off my nose about a 1/4 inch and this causes them to vibrate like hell

It is a much cooler helmet than my close fitting arai signet. A real blessing on those hot humid summer days.

I wouldn't reccomend one to a friend. Take that for what its worth. I sure wish Arai would build one...

Nolan vs HJC Sysmax II

I have a Nolan N100, it is NOW too big for me, the flip is iffy and the shield no longer indexes at the just open position. This helmet is about 3-3 1/2 years old now and it is time to retire it. I have owned two full face composite HJC's and both are/were excellent in fit and function. I also had an open face HJC that really fit well. I currently have a Sysmax II and I love it. Much better than the Nolan. fits well, noise is tollerable, I like the sun glass/shield, wanted yellow, no dice, so white for conspicuity. I can feel the chin bar on the Nolan with my chin, seems too close to me. Wife has Nolan N102 and she is happy with it. If you go with a Nolan, get one with center, one hand opening feature, ie the N102, the N100 needs to be opened only on the left side, so if stopped with the clutch in, you have to reach around your head with your right hand to open it, and I like to have the bike in gear at stops. Not sure about the N103, but is looks like the N100 in having two releases. The first thing to go on the Nolan was the shield seal, the chin curtian destroyed it. The Nolan also seems noiser than the Sysmax. But that said, my Shoie openface is quieter than any helmet I have ever owned. All in all, I like the HJC better. Craig in NM

I have a FS10 full face I really like, a older SyMax, and a CL Max. I use them all.

THe FS10 is my favorite, SyMax probably second and CL a distant third. Both SyMax and CL are pretty noisey. Full face FS10 much better but not what I would call quiet.

They are the best bang for the buck in my opinion for quality, comfort and fit.

Love the pop-up sun shade in the FS10.

Hint: buy them on eBay after confirming size at local shop and save a bunch of $$$!

SyMax ll delivered to your door for under $200. FS10 about $20 less.

I have a 10 month old Sy-Max. Don't care for it much...

The visor will not stay up. I like to ride with it that way, but the wind at speed forces it down. This started to happen after about the first few rides.

The ear hole area I filled with cut to fit micro fiber towels. Worked great and actually made the in ear customs sound better.

The sunshade is to light and mine is distorted, right where I look through it.

probably my head shape (long oval) but glasses will not work with it. Mine are held off my nose about a 1/4 inch and this causes them to vibrate like hell

It is a much cooler helmet than my close fitting arai signet. A real blessing on those hot humid summer days.

I wouldn't reccomend one to a friend. Take that for what its worth. I sure wish Arai would build one...

I also have the Sy-Max II. I think the visor ( also like to ride with visor up ) stayed up maybe the first two or three times I used it never again. Emailed HJC and was told to by another shield. Really think it should have lasted longer than a week.

Not good Customer service in My Op. Cant really complain about the rest of it but the visor problem brings it down to average.

Thanks;

The Moto Superstore tip is good:). I checked my "Helmet City" link and they have this helmet(CLMax 3X) backordered a MONTH out:(. HJC is selling these apparently:). A lot of good feedback on this helmet here at MOA central, so the HJC is likely my next helmet. A Nolan plus, is my best buddy SLID down the pavement for 30 yards one day on his chin bar, NOLAN and it saved his life a few years back. The bar stayed put and a lot of helmet material was rubbed off, but the helmet stayed locked shut:). Randy...:usa

I really like my Symax-II. Love the sun shade but wish there was more air flow. I wear ear plugs so the noise isn't really an issue.

SyMax II

I purchased my Symax II late last year, and have been very pleased with it. I'm on the other end of the spectrum with a 6 7/8 bean, hard to find a good fit for a pea.
Very comfortable! I like the flip down sun visor, they could one up it and make it polarized. Still wear polarized sunglasses even with the shield.
I liked the Nolan as well, but just wasn't as good a fit for me. The price difference was fairly large as well.
The modularity is nice, especially for talking to other riders at stop lights, getting gas, etc.

HTH,

Back