• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding comfort

On this subject...how many here take Lipitor for cholesterol control ? I have heard some horror stories about that stuff, and am wondering if perhaps it is adding to / creating, my pain as much or more than arthritis itself.

forgive my nagging on this, But it is almost impossible to talk to anyone about it, unless they have experienced it. And [unfortunately] many of you here appear to have the experience.

Crestor here. After a couple of years on it, went off of it for 3 months last summer to check out what side effects I would quit having. The only difference that happened was that my cholestorol skyrocketed. I began taking it again and 3 months later am back down to where the doc gives me a high five.........God bless........Dennis

On this subject...how many here take Lipitor for cholesterol control ? I have heard some horror stories about that stuff, and am wondering if perhaps it is adding to / creating, my pain as much or more than arthritis itself.

When I first considered my pain to be discomforting, I thought it could be a result of my cholesterol medicine. It was Lipitor at the time. I talked to my Doctor and he ruled it out, but changed to Zestor anyway. If there is a chance that your muskoskeletal pain is from cholesterol medicine, there is no time to waste and you should not do so discussing it on an internet forum, but talk to your doctor immediately!

When I first considered my pain to be discomforting, I thought it could be a result of my cholesterol medicine. It was Lipitor at the time. I talked to my Doctor and he ruled it out, but changed to Zestor anyway. If there is a chance that your muskoskeletal pain is from cholesterol medicine, there is no time to waste and you should not do so discussing it on an internet forum, but talk to your doctor immediately!

Yes i understand & have done that. I was off for two months...and I swear i felt better,told him so , but he is convinced Lip is the best & the only way to go...so I went back on Oct,1st...and now it feels worse than ever. This is why I seek other experience / opinion.

BTW my 'high' cholesterol count was 276, 12 years ago. Now down to 107. I guess I'm going to insist I try something else, see how i [feel] and do a blood panel to see how the cholesterol is doing?

Your total is 107 or your LDL is 107? Man, I would not take anything for 6 weeks and see how it goes!
Your HDL is also important, btw and you should try to get it over 60!

I would also change my doctor! I think he is a "pill-pusher"

Guys, I encourage you to read either this book, or any of the others around on the "paleo" diet. It turns out that if we eat what our bodies evolved to eat instead of all the carbs and sugars and grains, we can manage our blood chemistry (and general health) quite easily. I have no connection or financial interest in any of this, but I have been doing it for over a year and my cholesterol is down, no more heartburn, and I feel better than I have felt in years. This is the book I read: http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Solutio...5695&sr=1-1&keywords=robb+wolf+paleo+solution

Your total is 107 or your LDL is 107? Man, I would not take anything for 6 weeks and see how it goes!
Your HDL is also important, btw and you should try to get it over 60!

I would also change my doctor! I think he is a "pill-pusher"

My total is 107

Guys, I encourage you to read either this book, or any of the others around on the "paleo" diet. It turns out that if we eat what our bodies evolved to eat instead of all the carbs and sugars and grains, we can manage our blood chemistry (and general health) quite easily. I have no connection or financial interest in any of this, but I have been doing it for over a year and my cholesterol is down, no more heartburn, and I feel better than I have felt in years. This is the book I read: http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Solutio...5695&sr=1-1&keywords=robb+wolf+paleo+solution

I don't deny the science because i am really not qualified too. But I looked that diet up & it is [somewhat] unreasonable.

Other than the occasional Pizza, [& I mean occasional] I do not eat 'junk' food, haven't had fried food in 12 years, only red meat ? is Buffalo . Little to no processed food. I am lucky in that I love fish [grilled / baked / smoked / pan seared] never fired. And I love & eat all veggies. Very small amount of processed sugar,[I have a piece of Apple pie I'm going to eat later]...again small portion of my diet.

But to give up dairy [I drink 1%] and potatoes , and drink only water & green tea?....that's {IMO} the unreasonable part.

I don't deny the science because i am really not qualified too. But I looked that diet up & it is [somewhat] unreasonable.

Other than the occasional Pizza, [& I mean occasional] I do not eat 'junk' food, haven't had fried food in 12 years, only red meat ? is Buffalo . Little to no processed food. I am lucky in that I love fish [grilled / baked / smoked / pan seared] never fired. And I love & eat all veggies. Very small amount of processed sugar,[I have a piece of Apple pie I'm going to eat later]...again small portion of my diet.

But to give up dairy [I drink 1%] and potatoes , and drink only water & green tea?....that's {IMO} the unreasonable part.

These things are a personal choice. Bread, potatoes, etc., are a big part of many of our diets, and this is one of the reasons why we have some of the issues we do, because all of those things have an effect on our internal chemistry. Your local library may well have a copy of the book, so you could even read it for free. I recommend it to you. Meats/fish/poultry, veggies, (some) fruit, and the right kinds of fat, as our hunter-gatherer ancestors did, and your body will thank you. I do not want to sound like some kind of evangelist about this; I only bring it up because of the thread. I lost 40 lbs on this diet without ever being hungry and my cholesterol is down in spite of eating at least a dozen eggs a week.

You have no cholesterol problem!

LOL! I hear ya but that is with the help of Lipitor....if I do without it altogether ?...how long before it climbs back to the danger level? @ 276 12 years ago, I had 80 & 80+ blockage in two arteries , causing mild pain & I felt 'rung' out....do not want that back...

And once again I am not asking anyone to make decisions for me, or diagnose me.....I'm just picking brains....and {IMO} some of the best are people that have 'been there'....and I appreciate all replies.

These things are a personal choice. Bread, potatoes, etc., are a big part of many of our diets, and this is one of the reasons why we have some of the issues we do, because all of those things have an effect on our internal chemistry. Your local library may well have a copy of the book, so you could even read it for free. I recommend it to you. Meats/fish/poultry, veggies, (some) fruit, and the right kinds of fat, as our hunter-gatherer ancestors did, and your body will thank you. I do not want to sound like some kind of evangelist about this; I only bring it up because of the thread. I lost 40 lbs on this diet without ever being hungry and my cholesterol is down in spite of eating at least a dozen eggs a week.

OH, I will look farther into it. You mention eggs...sure is allot of controversy / ambiguity about those little boogers and I luv'em.... but do limit myself.

I am not following any diet guru, fad or lately written book, but I try to avoid starchy foods, white flour and its products and sugars. This has helped me to address quite a few issues such as weight, cholesterol and blood sugar. I am not on any prescription medicine.

I am not following any diet guru, fad or lately written book, but I try to avoid starchy foods, white flour and its products and sugars. This has helped me to address quite a few issues such as weight, cholesterol and blood sugar. I am not on any prescription medicine.

What you're doing is right for your body, and that is why it works. In terms of how long mankind has existed, the time we have been cultivating and eating grains, sugars, and starches is but the blink of an eye. The vast majority of our time has been spent not eating those things, and that is what the paleo diet is all about - eating the balance that our bodies evolved to eat.

Back to the OP, the older I get the more I find that the cure for nearly every ache and pain is exercise...particularly weight/resistance training. I hit the weights 3X a week and cardio 4X a week. It has largely eliminated the discomfort of arthritis, scoliosis, and spinal stenosis. And, it has made recovery from open heart surgery, a run-in with a cage! and a rather spectacular unplanned off on a dual sport ride pretty speedy.

While things like chiropractic adjustments, acupuncture, and the like may offer some relief, I am absolutely convinced that weight, cardio, and flexibility training is imperative to enjoy our later years. We get out of it what we out into it. And, I agree with the need to maintain proper nutrition. (Big juicer here.)

YMMV, but I firmly believe it will help!

Hang in there.

Just taking up dirt riding at age 65,
Mike

I quit motorcycles several years ago due to arthritis in my back. Long story, for another time, about how I came back. A "driver's Back Rest" cured about 85% of the pain. Now manageable.
Just what worked for me.
Good luck,
Mike

I quit motorcycles several years ago due to arthritis in my back. Long story, for another time, about how I came back. A "driver's Back Rest" cured about 85% of the pain. Now manageable.
Just what worked for me.
Good luck,
Mike

Wrestling with arthritis myself...what motorcycle do you ride ? On a cruiser a backrest does seem to help somewhat. But on my Roadster I lean to far forward for one to have any effect .

Noticed your sig 'chilibowlfan' .....haven't made it to the chilibowl yet, but am a fan of Midgets & Sprints. My dad raced Midgets back in the day...Ford V-8 60 Flatties....

Just a note;...I am trying magnetic therapy for my Arthritis :brow ....I'll post my findings.

Yes, with a pretty much fused spine with pain radiating down into the various appendages, YOU are right on about the exercise. I don't know about the strength building stuff as that is kinda counter productive for me; but it is the range of motion that truly needs the exercise to keep from "rusting" shut. Just getting out there and walking is sometimes a super effort so there goes one's "wind" after a few years of not going THROUGH the pain........Yes, that is really the trick.......to go THROUGH that pain.

At times, I get really high on the endorphines that my body produces. That is the best of all and it lets me know that what I am doing is making a difference. Again, pain is in the head a lot of times; but it sure gets depressing day after day after day......God bless.......Dennis

Dennis said "but it sure gets depressing day after day after day...."

It sure as hell does. And most of the Doc's say....take these stronger pills [which is how people get 'hooked' on them, and why I hope to avoid them. Or they say we'll cut this out & put this in and hope it works?? Which often leads to other problems. I swear I sometimes think we were never meant to live as long as we do today ? But hell I don't want to quit....:wave

Back