• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

pictures of noahs tarp,para wing,sunshade

mikegates

Total Freak
could I see some pictures of the tarps set up used as over tent protection? What about poles? what are you using?

Kelty Noah's 12x12 using the short Kelty poles and nearby trees for support.

1085984265_cDbgJ-O.jpg

This set-up was for shade with the tarp next to the tent. The "short" kelty poles pack down smaller than the long poles. They fit in the bag with the tarp.

Here's another example where the tarp was again used for afternoon shade and not needed over the tent. Three trees and one pole used.

1085996762_Kerug-O.jpg

MSR Parawing in "high trim"
P1090177.jpg

and in "low trim" mode
P1090176.jpg

the P/W is great, if not heavy. it has two tall poles and the other two corners stake directly to the ground, with shorty 4' guy lines. when something's available, i will afix the low sides to trees, poles, etc. for the ability to raise and lower it. such as i have in these two shots. instead of tying it off, i use bungees or compression straps- often both- for better wind resistance- i call it *bunge-ability* which alows for give and take in high winds, and can lessen the chances of a blow out or grommet tear.

Unfortunately, MSR no longer makes the Para Wing & as far as I have searched, there are none available to purchase. I sure wanted one after seeing a few of them in use at the 4R Rally last year. I'm bummed!

Unfortunately, MSR no longer makes the Para Wing & as far as I have searched, there are none available to purchase. I sure wanted one after seeing a few of them in use at the 4R Rally last year. I'm bummed!

It's true but hard to believe that they no longer make parawings. It seemed like such a staple for the camping community. I own a couple of different sizes. An outfitter's wing made by Moss Tents b4 they were bought out and then a 19' Parawing.

Looks like the closest thing made to the 19' parawing now is the Kelty Noah. Same size but ligher weight material (not necessarily bad) and NRS makes a copy of the outfitter wing (huge) they call the River Wing that is built to last.

Last edited:
Yeah, I wanted a 19' Para Wing due to it being waterproof. Was going to use it on a family camping trip just in case... The outfitter wing just seems so big, though it might do the trick. I just want something we can sit our chairs under in case of a rainstorm blowing through... I think they have a large Zing, or somethign like that as a replacement for the outfitter...

Yeah, I wanted a 19' Para Wing due to it being waterproof. Was going to use it on a family camping trip just in case... The outfitter wing just seems so big, though it might do the trick. I just want something we can sit our chairs under in case of a rainstorm blowing through... I think they have a large Zing, or somethign like that as a replacement for the outfitter...

outfitter wing is great for car camping or similar. big enough to cover the picnic table and have room all around for chair seating. little too big to haul around on the bike. YMMV

I've got the Kelty Sun Shade. I love it. It's been through some very strong storms!:dance

Attachments

• Kelty Sunshade.jpg
    Kelty Sunshade.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 3,038
Sun shade

I also have the kelty sunshade which comes in two sizes. It is great and holds up well in western winds. I had it in Gillette and it was one of the only shades to do so.. It stands by itself but you can also lash it down. I large enough for a table and the bike. Well made. I also like the one a previous poster put up for us to see. Looks great.

This is a Moss Parawing... before MSR bought them. disappointed to hear that they are NLA. Mine is getting on in years and I was thinking of getting a new one.

805310768_VRD5z-X2.jpg

805311287_sqCB5-X2.jpg

I like what you made the best. We are looking at bring something (more stuff!) to Bloomsburg like what you have. Nice job. - Bob

Thanks Bob! I based my design (loosely) on the Parawing, made it with materials I had laying around the shop.

... I think they have a large Zing, or somethign like that as a replacement for the outfitter...

ZING looks like the way to go for a sizable tarp

Minimum Weight 6 lbs 8 oz / 2940 g
Packaged Weight 6 lbs 14 oz / 3151 g
Wing-only weight 3 lbs 12 oz / 1691 g
Frame weight (poles) 2 lbs 10 oz / 1630 g
Floor Area 200 sq. ft / 18.58 sq. m
Packed Size 28 x 6 in / 71 x 25 cm
Number of Poles 2
Fly Fabric 40D x 238T ripstop nylon 6 1500mm Durashield Polyurethane & Silicone Coated

Back