• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

security on trips

I'm not sure I understand your question but I usually stay in motels when I ride alone, camping when with others if they want to camp. Keep the door locked and all should be okay. Common sense is the best policy. Was there more to your concern?

I usually try to stay at Mom and Pop's where I can park in front of the room door. If I stay at a bigger hotel with inside halls I usually ask if I can park the bike in the covered entrance to the hotel in view of the front desk. I always park the bike in a well-lighted area and cover it.

The odd time that I am at a motel in a questionable part of town, I'll put a cover over the bike. Must work as no one has yet to steal either beemer. :thumb

Pepper spray in an EASY-to-reach pocket.
Hair spray or WD-40 (with the RED top, higher pressure) also work in a pinch.
If things get really nasty, hold a lighter in front of (and just below) the spray.

Situational Awareness!!! Walk like you know where you are going; keep your head up and LOOK AT everything around you - no drone mode.

When unpacking the saddlebags into the room - do not display any contents, just carry the whole bag in. Makes it easier to repack the next morning, too.

Always lock your steering. Add a disk lock or a chain or cable, even if there's nothing else to chain down to (loop thru either wheel to the frame, and try to keep the lock itself off the ground, to make it more difficult to get a bolt cutter on it). Make it difficult for a thief, persuade him to go look for easier pickin's.

The odd time that I am at a motel in a questionable part of town, I'll put a cover over the bike. Must work as no one has yet to steal either beemer. :thumb

I don't think it is the cover as much as it is the kind of bike we ride. Crooks steal bikes for profit or fun. BMWs are not crotch rocket fun that young thieves like. They are also not good for chop shops because the demand for parts is low because there are not many around and owners tend to have them repaired at dealers with new parts. They are not valuable as a complete bike because there are not enough around to blend in with the hoards of Harleys and other bikes.

Rocket bikes and Harleys are not the only high-theft-rate bikes:
Dirt bikes get ripped off a lot too. They're easy to hot-wire, easy to strip, and easy to re-sell the parts for other dirt bikes.
Even if you've got it in the pickup truck, chain it down!

staying at hotels on long trips what do you suggest to keep safe

Are you planning to attend the MOA rally? There will be a really cool seminar on personal safety (actually a couple times) by Deb and Mike Gardner of Survive Institute. Teaches commons sense stuff and SIMPLE, effective person defense... requiring no special equipment.

... Pepper spray, and the like, works on someone who is simply trying to get your stuff, or you. But if you encounter a psychopath, or worse, someone wigged out on a mind altering substance, you may only make your assailant mad.

I've camped and traveled alone, and with my daughter. What I find to be most effective is to be aware of those around you and to trust your hunches. If someone doesn't "feel" right, pay attention. Make eye contact, show you aren't intimidated (find your inner warrior), a casual trouble maker will go looking for an easier target.

Most hotels will allow you to park your bike near the front door, so long as you don't block access. I usually ask the night clerk to keep an eye out.

P

As was alluded to above, BMW's are not high on the theft list. Not saying they don't get stolen, but very seldom. When "moving in" to your room, remove temptation from the bike, then cover it. Add a lock if so desired. Before you turn in for the night, give it a once-around look, bid it good-night, then call it a night. It will probably be there in the morning.

thanks for info worried about bike being stolen
A reasonably cheap and effective monitoring device for you bike can be made with Family Radio Service (FRS) radios. Most have a Voice Operated Transmission (VOX) mode. One radio set at the bike on VOX with the other next to your bed will alert you to things going on near your bike.

Keeping bike safe at hotels

Kevin Greenwald did a nice article in an edition of BMW ON last year.....not sure of the month. It would be worth review.

As I recall, his suggestion was to (or at least this is what I've done after reading his article):

1. be aware of surroundings & choose well-lighted motels where you can park in front of the room, if possible
2. remove side cases, gps, etc.
3. park on side stand, install disk brake lock, put on cover
4. forget about night clerk keeping an eye on the bike, s/he's on facebook or sleeping
5. make sure your insurance is paid up
6. sleep good, you've done all you can short of bringing the bike into the room with you

Travel safe and have fun,

staying at hotels on long trips what do you suggest to keep safe
When not in your room keep a radio or TV on. When in your room use your Permit To Carry a Conceled Weapon.

Use a cover at night for your motorcycle.

Don't go out walking at night alone. Take a Cab.

Why the recommendation above to park on the side stand? I've been putting my RT up on its center stand at motels, but I don't really have a good reason for it.

Bike safety at hotel

Originally posted by sailorlite, "Why the recommendation above to park on the side stand? I've been putting my RT up on its center stand at motels, but I don't really have a good reason for it."

Kevin (Greenwald in his ON article last year) stated that parking on the side stand gives the bike greater stability....i.e. the 3-points bearing the weight offer more stability vs. parking on the center stand where the bike can definitely move a bit.

Real security

I prefer a .357 magnum. Always keep it in tank bag for quick access. If you have time, insert earplugs before firing...

:usa

From the Moderator Team......
While the topic of security on the road is important, the Mod Team would like to remind all that the the discussion of Firearms is one of topics that we can't get involved with here on the MOA Forum. POSTING GUIDELINES
Thanks for your cooperation.

If you feel you need weapons of any kind whatsoever while traveling pick your stop locations more carefully. Clues I don't want to be there include:

boarded up storefronts
trash all over
bars on windows
itty bitty peep holes at the motel desk
cars on jack stands
folks on the curb with bottles in brown bags

My point is that there are lots of nice places to stop, and lots of places to avoid. Be discerning of your surroundings and ride on. Plan to stop early enough that you can see your surroundings and move on if you don't like where you are.

I always fuel before entering major cities so I don't wind up taking an off ramp into a "bad part" of town. I usually stop at motels in smaller rather than larger towns, and if in a city go upscale rather than downscale to buy some security. In the past several years the only time I have stayed in a motel/hotel in a major city it has been for an organized group event. Otherwise, small towns and suburbs are better choices.**

**32 years as a City Planner, Community Development Director specializing in restoration of slums and blighted areas.

Back