• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Resolve to Make Your Motorcycling Dreams Come True in 2011

Well, I've committed to my first solo trip. I've registered for the Great Chicken Rally in Alabama at the end of May, and booked my tent for the event with Sherpa Ted. Now to plan my route! :clap

Route planning can be some of the best time of a journey. I love pouring over maps to find the twistiest way from here to there. One tip: I've found that riding squigly roads for distances, though tiring in itself, keeps me more energized and with less body kinks than taking the straight route and sitting in one position on the freeway.

Route planning can be some of the best time of a journey. I love pouring over maps to find the twistiest way from here to there. One tip: I've found that riding squigly roads for distances, though tiring in itself, keeps me more energized and with less body kinks than taking the straight route and sitting in one position on the freeway.

Thanks for the insight. I think I may mix it up a bit - some freeway, some smaller roads. I've picked up some maps, and have my gps...I have lots of time to play with the route.

Thanks for the insight. I think I may mix it up a bit - some freeway, some smaller roads. I've picked up some maps, and have my gps...I have lots of time to play with the route.

Way to go, Cheryl. :clap I attended the Chicken Rally last year. There are some fantastic roads in the area.

2011 Goal: Dirt!

Newbie here - My goal for 2011 is to learn how to ride in dirt. I'm a pretty proficient street rider but want to learn how to be a good dirt rider and my goal is to do the TAT one day. I'll be 55 this year (holy crap!) so there's no time like the present! :D So, ladies, dish up your advice please! I can't afford to take classes, so I need your best tips on what you've learned off road. This is a great forum, btw!

Deb
CO

get some good crash bars and don't freak out if you dump your bike once or twice. Momentum is your friend in loose terrain and learn good brake clutch control is a must...practice slow maneuvers, look where you want to go, learn braking techniques for going up and down off road, turn off your ABS, standing on the pegs is also your friend and relax and have fun!:bikes

Last edited:
Newbie here - My goal for 2011 is to learn how to ride in dirt. I'm a pretty proficient street rider but want to learn how to be a good dirt rider and my goal is to do the TAT one day. I'll be 55 this year (holy crap!) so there's no time like the present! :D So, ladies, dish up your advice please! I can't afford to take classes, so I need your best tips on what you've learned off road. This is a great forum, btw!

Deb
CO

Deb,

I would say work on throttle control. You don't say what bike you are riding, but I find my F650GS twin a little twitchy. You want to avoid unintended acceleration when the terrain gets rough. (DAMHIK!) I found that an "elbows out" type grip made it much easier to control the throttle on rough terrain.

There are a couple of DVD's available on dual sport riding (beginner and advanced techniques) I think they are available through Riders Warehouse and possibly Whitehorse Press, and probably some other places, that I found very helpful to me.

I haven't ridden my GS on anything more than dirt roads, but I rode a 250cc Yamaha dual sport for a couple of years.

Have fun gettin' dirty! :D

I'm with ya! I'm 52, have taken the MSF 1 day dirt bike course once but haven't done any dirt riding and one of my goals this year is to get more dirt time under my belt (helmet?). A good female friend and I are both dirt newbies and are taking the MSF dirt course this spring and we're going to ride the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail this year! It goes from the Wisconsin- Illinois border all the way north to Lake Superior..

Let us know how your adventure in off-road goes! I'd be interested in hearing how you do!

Sarah

Dirt is good! That's where I started riding. I was too afraid to go on the paved roads where the traffic is. It gives you so much confidence to know you can handle a little rough stuff.

Jim Doyle helped us get ready for our first Alaska trip. We learned to pick the easiest path as we rode through rough stuff, mud, water and sand. One bit of advice I still follow is to sometimes take that hardest path because once in awhile it will be the easiest choice!

My terror still though is steep and loose downhill gravel.

With so many miles of unpaved roads in the Big Bend Paul and I got dirt bikes suited for the terrain. My TW 200 gives me lots of confidence.

Usually.

Voni
sMiling

Voni
sMiling

Voni,

don't take this wrong way, but it's nice to know that there is something motorcycle related that still intimidates you! You're such an inspiration and it seems like you must be able to do anything on a bike so for a 'regular' rider like myself, it's a bit reassuring to know that even the legendary Voni :bow gets a bit weirded out by the same kind of stuff that would freak me out too!

Voni,

don't take this wrong way, but it's nice to know that there is something motorcycle related that still intimidates you! You're such an inspiration and it seems like you must be able to do anything on a bike so for a 'regular' rider like myself, it's a bit reassuring to know that even the legendary Voni :bow gets a bit weirded out by the same kind of stuff that would freak me out too!

:blush

No worries. :brad

Early on in my riding someone asked me if I wasn't afriad to ride. I told them that I was and added that if I stopped being afraid, I'd stop riding.

Fear is good. It keeps you vigilant.

Now TERROR, the dominant emotion I had when I started riding, isn't so good . . .

Voni
sMiling

Great advice from all - thanks! I know just what you mean about "unintended acceleration" - I hate it when that happens! :D Right now I have a Honda 200, which is nice and small. I bought a DVD on dual sport riding which is very informative, do y'all recommend any books?

Deb
CO

OK, back to the drawing board...My first solo trip WAS going to be from southern Ontariio to the Chicken Rally in Alabama, but that isn't going to work out. Some friends are going, and since we usualyy only get to see them every couple of years, Dave's joining me on the trip. So...I need a new plan!

OK, back to the drawing board...My first solo trip WAS going to be from southern Ontariio to the Chicken Rally in Alabama, but that isn't going to work out. Some friends are going, and since we usualyy only get to see them every couple of years, Dave's joining me on the trip. So...I need a new plan!

What about trying a circle tour of the Great Lakes? :dunno

I am hoping that we can get the bikes out of the garage, because IT IS STILL SNOWING here!!!! Here's wishing for the Chinook to blow in and soon :nyahttp://forums.bmwmoa.org/images/smilies/tongue10.gifh

At the (wonderful) seminar last year I stood up and said that I was going to hit the 100K mile mark. While it took me a little longer than I planned, I did it this weekend!

The inspiration I owe mainly to Voni who has long been my idol, but the stories I heard at the seminar by some great women stayed with me all these months. The fact that many of the women ride many, many miles solo has spurred some big plans for me including a solo ride to this year's MOA rally.

A big thank you to all of the panelists and those from the audience who shared their stories. I'm looking forward to another great seminar this year!

At the (wonderful) seminar last year I stood up and said that I was going to hit the 100K mile mark. While it took me a little longer than I planned, I did it this weekend!

The inspiration I owe mainly to Voni who has long been my idol, but the stories I heard at the seminar by some great women stayed with me all these months. The fact that many of the women ride many, many miles solo has spurred some big plans for me including a solo ride to this year's MOA rally.

A big thank you to all of the panelists and those from the audience who shared their stories. I'm looking forward to another great seminar this year!
Way to go EllenR. Congrats:thumb I'm hoping for the same this summer.
What route are you taking to PA. next month?

Karen, your solo trip to Alaska is one of those that lit my fire! I sat next to you at the seminar...I think a little of your spunk rubbed off:)

I'm probably heading north from my So. Ca. home to avoid some heat, then across so that I can pick up ND, WI, MN, then to RI before getting to the rally. Those states along with AR and LA (which I'll get on my trip home) are the only ones of the 48 I haven't ridden my bike through. I'm also going to try to pick up some National Park stamps along the way. As you can see, I have big plans:brad

Looking forward to seeing you in PA!

Ellen

i am pretty sure you're the Ellen i'm thinkin' of... the one that keeps ol' Howard on a real short leash.

i remember when you were a n00b, and you wore those really thick-soled boots to help you reach the ground. it was like Saturday Night Fever all over again! :ha

you go! i am so proud of you for your accomplishments. :thumb

ian

i am pretty sure you're the Ellen i'm thinkin' of... the one that keeps ol' Howard on a real short leash.

i remember when you were a n00b, and you wore those really thick-soled boots to help you reach the ground. it was like Saturday Night Fever all over again! :ha

you go! i am so proud of you for your accomplishments. :thumb

ian

Guilty as charged! Hey, I was determined and I had great encouragement from great friends, even if some of the advice wasn't quite kosher :ha

See you in PA!

Back