• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thinking Of Returning To a K100RS

K-Bikes

My first K bike was a 91 K100RS traded it in for new 98 K1200RS which I still have and love. Just recently bought a 91 K1. Love them all

I bought this one and gave it to my son. I still ride it when I go to the mountains to visit him. Incredible bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezT9zJV0pFE

That 85 K100 looks good, rather pristine, when they made the video, back in 2010. I noticed the front fender seems bigger, or longer on the back side than my front fender on my 88? maybe I am mis-remembering it. Also an interesting point about the hotter cam/more power on the 85 model. Something I never knew.

HOWEVER:
Agonizing video, that one! I got lost in the "uh"s between every other word. Was ready to slit my wrists after only a couple minutes of that.That guy needs to seriously forget any further public speaking.

HOWEVER:
Agonizing video, that one! I got lost in the "uh"s between every other word. Was ready to slit my wrists after only a couple minutes of that.That guy needs to seriously forget any further public speaking.

I agree; while watching the RS zoom down the Alabama highway was fun I, too, suffered greatly through all the "uhs."
Glad to see I am not alone!

Movie critics?

:blahi'I'm sure you guys could make soooooo much better videos.:laugh I apreciate him sharing it with Us.:dance

:blahi'I'm sure you guys could make soooooo much better videos.:laugh I apreciate him sharing it with Us.:dance

Nothing ...uh...wrong with getting one's ...uh... spiel ....um... together and ...uh... speaking ...uh... intelligently. :dunno In fact, I ...uh...would ...um... expect it from...uh... an ...uh... "expert". :scratch

So I have standards. Sue me. :laugh :type :whistle :bolt

I'm with you, '88 and I stand solidly behind your criticism. Yes, I or we could probably make a better video. At least we'd give more than a toss about the presentation and rehearse it a few times before the camera is rolling! Then a video that was excruciating turns into something enjoyably entertaining instead.

This is a K100 for sale now on CL in tampa

I know most BMW riders interested in an older BMW gravitate to Airheads. Has there been any renewed interest for the original K's? I've always admired the original K100RS and regret selling both my 1987 and 1991 years ago. (The K1100's, while perhaps better, don't do anything for me.) I figured if any group would know the trends it'd be here.

Hey I just bought my K100rs and I paid 3k with 13000 miles, and just out of excitement for your post I found this bike on Craigslist in Tampa for you. I saw this and thought it was a great deal.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/mcy/3400282105.html

Hey I just bought my K100rs and I paid 3k with 13000 miles, and just out of excitement for your post I found this bike on Craigslist in Tampa for you. I saw this and thought it was a great deal.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/mcy/3400282105.html

Sounds like you made a nice find, Jaimito! Thanks, I just went to your link and saw it's an RT. What I'd prefer (in order) is a 1990-92 K100RS 16V, K100RS 8V or K75S the later the better. All of these bikes I've owned in the past. In fact I had two different K100RS-16V. And yes, I should have just kept one :).
One thing I know to check with scrutiny on older K bikes is the mileage. Many had the Motometer speedometer/odometer replaced due to intermittent operation. The age these bikes are they're often on their 3rd or 4th owners making it difficult to tell for sure.

Sounds like you made a nice find, Jaimito! Thanks, I just went to your link and saw it's an RT. What I'd prefer (in order) is a 1990-92 K100RS 16V, K100RS 8V or K75S the later the better. All of these bikes I've owned in the past. In fact I had two different K100RS-16V. And yes, I should have just kept one :).
One thing I know to check with scrutiny on older K bikes is the mileage. Many had the Motometer speedometer/odometer replaced due to intermittent operation. The age these bikes are they're often on their 3rd or 4th owners making it difficult to tell for sure.

That is very possible, in fact i wouldn't doubt that is the case. However the machine looks and rides great. And it is a K so what's 50000 miles anyway? Gook luck I hope you find a good one.
UJ

.... And it is a K so what's 50000 miles anyway? Gook luck I hope you find a good one.
UJ

Oh I agree, and I'm not suggestion yours has a replaced speedometer anyway. It's just that there's probably a higher chance on older K's than most other bikes. I recall the replacement speedo was *very* expensive so most that were replaced were done during the 3 year warranty, like on my 1988 K75S. The dealer noted the mileage at replacement in my owners manual and probably with BMW as well. After the warranty expired most owners probably just tolerated it. There were also do it yourself fixes which would leave the odo unchanged.
Thanks, I'm in no hurry. Heck by the time I notice a nice one for sale I may have changed my mind again! :)

I guess I'm kinda picky but that one doesn't look to have been well cared for. But he does mention he'll consider a scooter or flat screen TV on trade.

3L63M93Ha5Nb5E15K8ccq338a45bbbbd51914.jpg

60 mpg?

Seriously? Pretty certain I've not gotten better than 40 MPG with my 88 K100RS. I mean, I do "ride" it, but don't flog it. Well, not very much anyway (honestly). If I'm distance riding on slab, I'll run 70-85.

This sounds like BS.

Seriously? Pretty certain I've not gotten better than 40 MPG with my 88 K100RS. ...
This sounds like BS.

I think you're right, I noticed that too. I recall my 1987 doing 40 to low 40's. I will say the 16v's I had got considerably better usually 50 mpg, seldom much less.

Gotta love those early K's! I have a k75RT converted to a standard which is the one bike i don't ever plan on selling.I regret i sold my '93 k1100LT which I bought with 186 milesI 've wanted a K100 for a while and a 1987 K100RT this winter which I look forward to putting some miles on this come summer. Long Live the BRICK:thumb

I think you're right, I noticed that too. I recall my 1987 doing 40 to low 40's. I will say the 16v's I had got considerably better usually 50 mpg, seldom much less.

My K75RS (yes, original owner converted two K75's) got about 50 mpg. When it was totalled I bought a 16v K100RS. To my astonishment, that bike also gets about 50 mpg with 100 hp versus 75 hp for the K75. The famed low vibration of K75's seems to be equalled by this bike. That 16v K100 has two plusses over the K75: far fewer problems with the final drive (though once fixed by Bruno for under $1000, no longer an issue,) and greater accelleration (not needed by me in one up riding.)

Bear in mind that the K1 and K100RS (16v) are essentially the same bike. Back in the day, quite a few people loved the amount of protection offered by the early K100RS enough to convert K75's at considerable expense. They wanted that great fairing without the heat and vibration associated with the early K100's. I'm guessing the 16v K100RS was BMW's response. Trouble is, they were only made for 2-3 years so not real common I would imagine on the used market.

Mine came with low miles and a Laminar Lip. Great view ahead with no buffeting or extra wind noise. I'm sure my bike will be for sale - after I die.

I have this bike... just got it and love it. Lueftmiester Pipe (not pictured), S/S brake lines, fork brace... absolute BMW perfection.

IMG_2630-L.jpg

I have this bike... just got it and love it. Lueftmiester Pipe (not pictured), S/S brake lines, fork brace... absolute BMW perfection.

Very nice, what year 1985?

Nice you have both exhausts because the stock square ones tend to crack where the headers join the muffler. The cracks can be welded but the metal is so thin it's usually a temporary fix.

Back