• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Distance Between Oil Changes

H

HONDARIDER

So I'm considering a cross country run from east to west and back again...something like 6500 miles in 10 days...I'm thinking about doing the whole trip without an oil change...I'll probably burn and replace a quart or more anyway. Anybody routinely going 7000 miles before a change? I've never really gone more than 5000 miles myself, but I hate to waste time on an oil change in the middle of a trip.

Isn't the recomended servicer interval 6k miles? You'll be fine honestly either way.

agreed. long distance riding is the easiest thing you can do for oil. probably totally fine for 10K without a worry, especially if using synth. (that comment based on reports from guys who bother to have their oil analyzed)

6,500 miles should be fine - especially if you're running synthetic (i.e. Amsoil 20W50).

However, I wouldn't switch from 'dino' to any synthetic unless at least 12k already on your bike. Otherwise, you risk oil weeping past the seals and leaking out of the bike.

Good luck and enjoy the trip! :thumb

6,500 miles should be fine - especially if you're running synthetic (i.e. Amsoil 20W50).

However, I wouldn't switch from 'dino' to any synthetic unless at least 12k already on your bike. Otherwise, you risk oil weeping past the seals and leaking out of the bike.

Good luck and enjoy the trip! :thumb

Says who?

Old school logic. :usa Shoudln't be an issue with any modernish bike.

My service manager told me that, as well. No synth until over 12k miles.

That's one of those commonly perpetuated myths now days. There plenty of cars that come filled from the factory with full syn oil in the pans.

As to seals leaking with synth, that comes mostly from guys on airheads that make the switch-over. those 20+ yo seals don't always like it so much. on a modern machine, no issue at all. Might be some concern about going to a synth too soon regarding ring/cylinder break-in; I would follow BMW recommendations (manual, not service tech. former tends to be more "up to day" than the latter) for a new bike.

My service manager told me that, as well. No synth until over 12k miles.

Same here - have heard it from more than one BMW Master Tech. Considering that I was going to buy the synthetic stuff from the dealer, which was more expensive (hence more profitable) than the dino juice, their 'delaying' of me forking over extra $$$ to them speaks well to their credibility.

Tech once showed me seals that, to lack a more refined term, "crud up" a bit over time/miles as well as mold themselves to the nuances of the metal surfaces they are trying to seal. Hence the logic of waiting for about 12k to make the switch to the more slippery stuff.

I also had some 'break-in leaking' when I was already using syn and had some seals replaced under warranty!

To each their own. :dunno

As to seals leaking with synth, that comes mostly from guys on airheads that make the switch-over. those 20+ yo seals don't always like it so much. on a modern machine, no issue at all.

Have a '95 Oilhead that did not care for syn as well. 13 years on Dino and then I caused a few leaks in the cylinder base gasket and the FD:banghead
I don't put it in the '99 S either. OK in Wedges and Hexheads we have

7000 miles on a trip between oil changes is no problem. Like someone said, highway riding is very easy on oil.

Beginning in 2010 BMW quietly removed their old prohibition against using synthetics too early in the life of the engine. The camhead manuals don't even have the word "synthetic" in them anywhere that I can find.

At least with respect to the modern BMWs, some master technicians, dealers, and gurus may not be up to speed with the latest thinking at Motorrad.

BTW, my 2012 was broken in on synthetic oils and I now consume oil at the rate of about 1 Qt per 12,000 miles. Not too shabby, eh? :thumb

Last edited:
Thank you all for your inputs. It puts my mind a little more at ease. I plan to spoon on a fresh set of street oriented rubber (not the TKC 80s I usually run), have the FD serviced, change the oil, and hit the road for 10 days or so. I suppose I might do some reading about the best dualsport-ish tires for big highway miles.

....have the FD serviced....

what FD service are you looking at? and, or major import, what model bike?

I've gotten good service from Shinko 705s on my F8GS, up to 8K miles. From a tire that is good in the dirt (forget deep mud or sand tho) and very secure on the street, that is not bad. Especially when I'm only shelling out $150/pair, or less (I've scored them for as low as $100/pr).

So I'm considering a cross country run from east to west and back again...something like 6500 miles in 10 days...I'm thinking about doing the whole trip without an oil change...I'll probably burn and replace a quart or more anyway. Anybody routinely going 7000 miles before a change? I've never really gone more than 5000 miles myself, but I hate to waste time on an oil change in the middle of a trip.

When are you making this trip-soon? I think weather this time of the year is totally unpredictable.

Larry

When are you making this trip-soon? I think weather this time of the year is totally unpredictable.

Larry

Not really?!

This time of year, it's the predictable mess of sudden storms, tornadoes, blizzards, intenese rain/sleet, high winds and other such minor irritants. :blah:blah

Hopefully, this is a trip several months off yet. :scratch

To answer the original question, not far. I change the oil in roughly the same place and position each time. :blah

Can't believe I forgot to say what bike I'm talking about...2009 R1200 GSA...and the trip is in June so I'm hopeful for decent weather.

Back