• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NE Trip Next September

This is great information and I'll be checking my maps this weekend. I agree we'll need at least two days to get up to Portland as you've suggested. Nothing like excellent local recon data!

So you have a flavor for the trip, we're all from California. We're shipping the bikes to Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD touring the NE a bit and heading back to CA. From Bob's we're heading up to Altoona where my brother and mother live. Although my brother has lived in Altoona for probably 20 years, he's never been north of NYC(maybe Niagara) and completely useless for the kind of info you guys are providing. :bow

Here's one for you. We had "hoped" to attend the opening of the Flight 93 Memorial on Sept 11th. The site is pretty close to Altoona. Most on the plane were not just from California but from the Bay area close to us. Do you think this will be a complete zoo and something to avoid? Maybe we should see it on the way back from the NE several days after it debuts?

Keep it coming. I'm listening!

Greetings,

A reverse ship and ride! I've sent bikes to California a few times, rode the west and then home to RI. Last time was this summer, San Francisco, Redmond then home.

A few thoughts.

First the flight 93 memorial is in the country, there are narrow two lanes to get there so chances are it will be a bit of a zoo but you'll have a big advantage being on bikes. I've been there a bunch as it's been a bonus on a few rallies I've done.

I'd also ask why ship to MD and have your time east so compressed? Is your schedule flexible enough to ship a little earlier and then visit family in PA on your way home?

If you can adjust I'd say ship your bike to Max BMW in North Hampton, New Hampshire or heck, ship them to my house in RI.

I suggest this because PA to Maine is not a fun ride and will be a full day slog, leaving you with one day to explore the coast and then another big slab day to get back to PA. If you've never ridden New England I think you will be very disapointed unless you and your party like big days and hectic traffic.

If you ship to Max you can fly into Boston then pick up your bikes in New Hampshire. You'll be about 10 miles from the Maine line and about two hours from Red's Eats in Wiscassett. I'm allergic to Lobster so I'll let others rave about Red's, all I see are huge lines but in September it shouldn't be bad at all.

You could have a great day from Max's to say Bar Harbor. Day two you could head inland toward the white mountains, perhaps ending up near Conway, NH or further west in Vermont. If time permits you could spend a night at the Mount Washington HotelDay three continue the loop to PA.

You could also cut Bar Harbor as once you've been to Reds and Wiscasset you've been to Maine. Go to Reds for lunch on day one and then to the Mt. Washington Inn for the evening. This gives you two full days to go from Bretton Woods to Shanksville / Altoona.

I've got a pretty good handle on riding in New England and would be happy to provide you with detailed info.

Best,

Rob Nye
Rallymaster, Minuteman 1000
www.minuteman1000.com

Last edited:
You could also cut Bar Harbor as once you've been to Reds and Wiscasset you've been to Maine.

:jawdrop I've been trying to find a way to move to MDI and still make a living for 35 years. Each to their own I guess.

:jawdrop I've been trying to find a way to move to MDI and still make a living for 35 years. Each to their own I guess.

I might have oversimplified but no matter where in Maine they go they won't be staying more than a few hours so why go all the way to Bar Harbor.

I'd rather spend a night at the Mt Washington and roll the dice on the auto road, especially if I went to Wiscasett or Damerscotta on the way.

Hook north from there (Damerscota / Wiscasset) and you can still have great riding and keep a reasonable schedule.

I TOTALLY understand why Bob's BMW is in the picture! I was there a number of years ago and couldn't believe the dedication Bob's has to BMWs and all motorcycles. Heck, they even have a "museum"!

That being said, it does make sense that the bikes might be sent to a location near the furthest point northeast in the journey. But, perhaps Tallyho has family/friends in the PA area and wants to visit them.

Certainly, Max's in NH (and NY) is an outstanding BMW dealer and could be a logical shipping destination to MAXimize available time for touring New England. I'm sure that some volunteers might come out of the woodwork to help Tallyho & Company get from Logan to Max's...

Don't forget to get the Mad Maps for New England!

As others have said Altoona to Portland, MA would be a really long day. The only possible way to pull that off is highway. No thanks.

For eats. I see Reds Eats has been mentioned. I'll just recommend that you check out the web site - www.hollyeats.com, check out the "eating the New England coast" article. Holly mentions Reds. Excellent lobster roll, if I knew how to attach a picture I'd d show you one:D The clam shack in Kennebunkport makes a similar lobster roll to Reds. Clam Shack was just on the food wars tv show on travel channel. Both places make a lobster roll with meat for a 1 lb lobster with no mayo/butter, lettuce or any other of the other fillers that 99% of the local restaurants add to the lobster meat.

For riding, I HIGHLY recommend going through Vermont.

I'd suggest going Lake George, NY - about 7 hours from Altoona. You actually go right by Max BMW in Albany on the way to Lake George. There are numerous lake side hotels in Lake George village to say in. Have dinner at restaurant called Georges. Next day follow Rt9N up the western side of the lake to Ticonderoga. Follow signs for the Fort Ticonderoga (stop if you want), but just past the fort you get to a "cable ferry" that will take you across Lake Champlain. From there, stick to the back roads with a target destination of Lincoln, NH. There isn't a lot of traffic in NH, except for the occasional tractor, so plan on having roads virtually to yourself. From Lincoln take the Kancamagus Hwy (Rt112) to Conway. From Conway get on Rt 302 - which eventually becomes Forrest Ave in Portland, ME.

If your coming late September, the leafs will be turning but plan on it being cool. Can't recommend a heated jacket strongly enough.

Have fun

-dn-
Hampton, NH

Too Bad That You Don't ...

.... have more time because next year's Salty Fog Riders Rally will be in the first week of September. See northern Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island at one of the best times of the year! - Bob

And the Green Mountain Rally is September 9-11 just off the Brandon Gap road - great home cooking and all the gap roads to ride. From there you can hit the Kanc, Bear Notch Road, Conway and White Hourse Press, and wind your way to the Maine Coast. Fly into Albany, NY and ship your bike to Max-NY. Way too many possibilities. You sure you don't have more time for New England? Stay away from the cities, and you shouldn't have any traffic problems. Then pick another route to get to PA and your relatives.

To answer one of your earlier questions, yes, hitting Shankesville on the way home might be less hassle.

Nice winter project to plan your trip :)

Muriel

Trip Planning Update 1.3

Again, many thanks to all who've contributed to this thread. It's been very helpful and it all becomes more poignant as we review the NE maps. I've received most of the recommended materials and have a preliminary plan I'll share very shortly.

We've decided to push the trip back to the following week. As some have suspected, I have family in Altoona. I often come back and hunt with my brother in late November. After some consideration my wife and I will be coming in three days earlier(14th) than the other couple with whom we'll be touring. This is specifically to run over to Altoona and visit my Mom for her 80th birthday with three of my siblings. We'll then return to Baltimore/Jessup on Friday afternoon in time for their arrival. We'll overnight in Jessup, pick up their bikes on Saturday and be on our way hopefully by 1030. Bob Henig and his team have been very supportive and offered friendly suggestions, transporation, and services beyond my expectations. Bob's BMW has solved most of my logistical concerns involving moving the bikes.

Here's some questions from reviewing my potential route.

Anyone have any experience or a review of Cook's Lobster House, Bailey Island, ME?

We're national park kind of people and are quite tempted to take the time to go up to Bar Harbor and see Acadia National Park for a few hours. Other have stated once we've been to a couple of key places inside ME, why go any further? Perhaps some of your good insights would be help us decide? If we see the coastline and have the lobster experience, is it really more of the same further north and worth the value proposition of expending an extra day? I suspect we'll return some day in a motorhome with a lot more time on our hands.

Route 2/89 across the north looks very nice. How does one get across Lake Champlain at Burlington? It appears there is a ferry. How much of delay will this be and do you have any alternate suggestions? Hwy 3 on the other side also looks like a nice route toward Niagara.

We don't really have many toll roads in CA. Is this handled with cash or credit cards? What sort of toll can we expect on say the length of the Blue Star Turnpike?

Bob,

There are three ferries crossing Lake Champlain. The northernmost runs from Plattsburgh NY to South Hero, VT and runs on schedule every 15-20 minutes. Further south is a one from Burlington VT to ??? (I've never taken that one.) Still further south is a smaller one from Essex NY to I believe Charlotte VT. It also runs on a regular schedule and there is never a wait of more than half an hour. And way south, there is a seasonal ferry filling the gap left by the destruction of the Lake Champlain Bridge at Chimney Point. Not sure when the new bridge is due for completion, but of all the ferries that one is the most crowded as it has to handle commuter traffic that used to take the bridge.

Google Lake Champlain Ferries for schedules, fees, etc.

Pete

Back