• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

How about #$$HOLE RAGE?

NCS, are those song lyrics? :laugh

All good points anyways.
The TX limit of 85 is only on a new toll road between Austin and San Antonio that is near completion. We do have several 80's on Interstates however:thumb

When I flew my own airplane, one of the key mantras for pilots was to "see and avoid". Not "see and confront"...not "see and go...whoa, WTF?" No...avoid! Same with cars and stupid, insane, drugged, crazy people.

We are vulnerable, and a lot of people do NOT like the freedom our riding represents, because many (most?) people are trapped in difficult, unhappy situations and seeing a "free" person is like waving a red cape in front of a bull.

Stupidity is self correcting. Please refrain from being the person doing the correcting. The only person you can control is yourself. Stay in the middle of your lane and refrain from outbursts.

You will live longer, and enjoy life more.

Jack (60 plus years of riding and 1 Million plus miles--still enjoying it)

So if middle lane is moving faster than you, move to the right one more lane perhaps?

as in on a 65 mph road, lane 1, to the left typically 75+. middle lane over 70, right lane typically just about 70. If that is the speed of traffic, why would you make yourself more vulnerable by becoming an obstacle?

NCS

Steady line of traffic in the right lane. Much faster moving in the left. I was keeping pace with the others in the middle, except for the lady behind me. I am certain she would have been up the butt of anyone in front of her. Also, I was doing 72. The limit on I-94 in Detroit is 55. I would not call that impeding.

I would call it impeding

Steady line of traffic in the right lane. Much faster moving in the left. I was keeping pace with the others in the middle, except for the lady behind me. I am certain she would have been up the butt of anyone in front of her. Also, I was doing 72. The limit on I-94 in Detroit is 55. I would not call that impeding.

If she was up your butt, you were impeding her. Get out of the way. I will do anything to get people off my butt, including nailing the throttle and moving over or turning off.

A few yrs back KY politicos passed one of those "make you feel good" laws stating that you cannot lane sit in the passing lane. As you might guess it is hardly enforced. Truth is that the high speeders that tailgate that lane to get past the lane sitters are as big a problem and probably even more dangerous. I just lay back when riding past the "problem" isn't possible.

Going counter to my own advice about not confronting or trying to "teach" someone driving rules or manners... I have a friend who has been known to keep a few marbles in his upper jacket pocket and when someone behind is driving thisclose he just tosses one with two fingers over his shoulder. No one even sees it being tossed, according to him, and when it hits the windshield they have a "WTF?!" moment and hit the brakes.

I have a buddy who carries steel 3/8 bearings for that purpose. I haven't crossed quite yet into that level of vandalism.

I've heard that hard candy also works well - no evidence left behind...

I had an incident about three weeks ago where a (insert your favorite derogatory here) actually pushed herself into the non-space ahead of me. I shouted out as loud as I could - the road was packed pretty tightly, so EVERYBODY saw and heard - "Hey you stupid (ditto insert) what the (new insert) are you (another insert) doing???" Her boyfriend passenger was staying out of this one, and if I was carrying, I swear she would have instantly had a third eye.

It's really too bad we can't really do anything about it - we could improve the gene pool AND teach a little basic driving respect.

I have a friend who has been known to keep a few marbles in his upper jacket pocket and when someone behind is driving thisclose he just tosses one with two fingers over his shoulder. No one even sees it being tossed, according to him, and when it hits the windshield they have a "WTF?!" moment and hit the brakes.

I have a buddy who carries steel 3/8 bearings for that purpose. I haven't crossed quite yet into that level of vandalism.

A friend uses pennies for the same effect. I figure that it would simply escalate the situation. :stick

Not my style. You go from being the victim to the aggressor. Who knows what the final outcome might be? :dunno

When I was a teenager my father sat me down and told me the following:
NEVER, EVER get into it with someone you don't know, it's just not worth it.
They could be:
A. A Karate expert, who could really put the hurt on you in seconds
B. A coke or meth head, enjoying a 10 day binge
C. A Violent person with no regards to common civility or common sense.
D. A gun nut just looking for a excuse to " pop a cap in someone".
E. Just a bad case of PMS
F. etc. etc. etc.

This advice has served me well.:whistle

Nick Kennedy

Road Rage The Sequel

I was back from "In Country" about 3 months in 1971. I was going under a bridge when an idiot nearly forced me into the side of the bridge. This guy was out of the stereotype book with a powder blue leisure suit and enough hair spray to hold together a Piper Cub; he was driving a Cadillac El Classico (see Austin Powers Goldmember). There was a Stop sign at the other end of the bridge where we both stopped. It is fair to say that after 13 months in the Tropical Paradise, I had some anger issues so I took the " Fred Rogers Approach" and dragged him half-way out of the window to discuss with him "the error of his ways". Before I could begin the "discussion", his wife shouted at him "Bob, you A##hole, i told you you were too close, I hope he hits you, you could have killed him!". At that point, I calmed down, said "Thank you Mam" and proceeded to ride off feeling as if all was right with the world. 41 years later I am a psychologist in charge of a ward of 34 severely mentally ill men. Scarey things Eh?

I agree with Nick's dad. That's pretty much what we've told our kids. There are just to many whackos wandering around.

It would be nice if drivers understood motorcycles better... ain't gonna happen

I'm doing another "motorcycle awareness" module at work next week as part of mandatory driver improvement classes given to all employees on a 3-year cycle.

Some of you out there might consider doing something similar, possibly at schools or at those driver improvement classes offered to the public.

I have a PowerPoint presention that reviews the findings of safety studies, and some public service announcement film clips embedded in some of the slides. It goes over fairly well.

Harry

When I am bothered by an aggressive driver I just think he is late for work with his poorly done project which is late, so his boss is going to fire him, and after prolonged failure to find a job due to his mental inadequacies he is going to lose his big house to foreclosure and then his wife is going to take the kids and leave him to go live with her personal trainer she can no longer pay with money.

By the time I think this through he is usually gone, I can grin at his wished for fate, and life goes on.

Getting a license in the states is too easy and too cheap. If folks had to shell out a grand to get one maybe they'd value the privilege more. Of course then a politician would just want to subsidize it so it'd be fair for everyone. I hate dealing with ignorance on the road but unfortunately being on the smaller vehicle I let it go and hope a cop sees it. Bad drivers tend to be a poor judge of distance IMO.

Back