• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

As The Crow Flies?

It is my understanding that not many MOA officials frequent the forum, although TexPaul does hang around a bit. So, if you want this concept to be given some consideration, I suggest you contact one of the Board members...their contact information is given on a section of the MOA website homepage.

It is my understanding that not many MOA officials frequent the forum, although TexPaul does hang around a bit. So, if you want this concept to be given some consideration, I suggest you contact one of the Board members...their contact information is given on a section of the MOA website homepage.

Timely suggestion Kurt. This morning my thought was to find out who would be most appropriate to send this suggestion to. I will follow-up accordingly. Posting here on the Forum helps to get other views on the subject as well as give an indication if the idea is 'on the right track'. I did suggest this last year directly at the rally but maybe I was speaking with the wrong folks. Anyway, I will, as you suggest, forward this on and then get back to this thread with the outcome.

In the meantime, hearing the views of others, regarding this topic, remains encouraged. BTW, I find your observation that "not many MOA officials frequent the forum" to be interesting. This is a good place to get a sense about the views and. at times, concerns of many of the membership. - Bob

As the bike rolls

After doing some double checking, I'm happy to report that we will definitely be using appropriate mapping software to verify the distance from your home address to the rally. The choice of software has not been made yet, and of course the only fair way to measure will be using the "shortest route" function, but it won't be "as the crow flies". :thumb

Please remember that YOU must go to the Awards and Tallies booth in the MOA building- better known as Columbia Hall in Salem, to register your name for consideration for any of the awards. We DO NOT take the information off the registration forms, contrary to what some folks assume. Look to the BMW ON and the Rally section of the website for more information about the awards and tallies.

@Tourunigo - Looks like you have a good chance for long distance this year. Too bad you don't live up in Sydney or on Meat Cove huh?

Rick Nelson
2013 Rally Co-Chair

After doing some double checking, I'm happy to report that we will definitely be using appropriate mapping software to verify the distance from your home address to the rally. The choice of software has not been made yet, and of course the only fair way to measure will be using the "shortest route" function, but it won't be "as the crow flies". :thumb

Please remember that YOU must go to the Awards and Tallies booth in the MOA building- better known as Columbia Hall in Salem, to register your name for consideration for any of the awards. We DO NOT take the information off the registration forms, contrary to what some folks assume. Look to the BMW ON and the Rally section of the website for more information about the awards and tallies.

@Tourunigo - Looks like you have a good chance for long distance this year. Too bad you don't live up in Sydney or on Meat Cove huh?

Rick Nelson
2013 Rally Co-Chair

Thanks Rick (2013 Rally Co-Chair) for all of your help and 2013 Rally Chair Deb Lower, working concurrently with Rick. While Mary and I cannot make it to Salem this year :cry, it is good that this concern has been met with due consideration and resolution. Thank you both very much.

And Rick, Sydney or Meat Cove won't snap up a Long Distance away from those adventuresome hooligans over in St. John's, Newfoundland! That's 4,469 miles to the rally. - Bob

(and Kurt, thanks for your excellent suggestion!)

The "Standard"

This year we will be using Google Maps as our standard for appropriate mileage awards.

The idea is to make sure that there are no surprises to those going after the awards (I know that i only like surprises at Christmas).

Yes, if you do believe you are in the running for an award you will have to check in at the Awards Booth in the MOA Building. Current award "contestants" will be posted at that booth for your information. We will have a laptop handy (I am bringing my MacBook in my saddle bag, let's just hope it survives Kansas heat and Nebraska pot holes and we've got solid WiFi) so that you can watch us verify our validation of your mileage.

That said, for "Long Distance" awards you will need to show us your driver license (just like voting or getting a speeding ticket in some states). Other awards will require us to see things like the motorcycle's registration / appropriate birth certificates / trip logs (including a few things like gas and hotel receipts) for validation. Do watch for a more indepth article coming in a future issue of the BMW ON and the Rally Page for details of award requirements.

I know what it feels like having to wait for an announcement or "screen projection" of individual award winners, and I also know what it feels like to "know better" after an announcement, so we want to be open, honest and fair.

Please post any further comments, suggestions, concerns, etc., to this thread. If you want to discuss any specific details, please contact me directly for discussion. Yep, I do respond.

Don

Don Hamblin
Awards Co-Chair
Beemers, Bigfoot and Blue Skies - 2013 MOA Rally

Just something that I noticed with Google Maps: I put in Halifax, Nova Scotia to Salem, OR and it would only let me track to Salem, Mass. :scratch I tried inputting a few times and had the same result by choosing their drop down menu option. I have had some destination problems with that program before but usually with my phone. I suggest a few tests of locales just to be sure.

Tested again and found that I had to type Salem, Oregon and not choose the abbreviated Salem, OR option. So, I guess that's a "heads up" point.

Again, thanks for the great coordinated effort! PM SENT re: additional point. - Bob

Last edited:
Nice...

....Thank You Don; and others that will assist you in the "new" format of calculation. Hope that laptop hold's up!!!! :whistle

....Thank You Don; and others that will assist you in the "new" format of calculation. Hope that laptop hold's up!!!! :whistle

So John, are you from Florida or Kentucky when you sign up ? :deal :dunno Seriously, Mary and I are wishing that we could be in Salem this year but not possible. Enjoy (I think that you are going?). - Bob

Last edited:
MOA officials

I wouldn't be too sure about saying that. The board members that I know monitor the Forum frequently. They don't always reply to a thread, but certainly note what's being discussed!

I wouldn't be too sure about saying that. The board members that I know monitor the Forum frequently. They don't always reply to a thread, but certainly note what's being discussed!

Bruce -

You're right. I don't know the board members and their usernames, and if they don't post, it's difficult to know they were even here. I took the time to compare the MOA ON masthead where it lists the board members and volunteer staff and tracked most of them down. There are 2-3 that don't even have a username that I could tell. There are another 2-3 that haven't been on the forum on years or at all and have never posted. Of the remaining 75% of the staff, most have visited the forum in the past two months.

So that's great...it appears that board members are around and see what's going on being discussed. But with typically no posts or responses, how do we know that they were really here? If a tree falls in the forest....

There are a lot of good ideas (and some bad, too) that the members float and have discussions on. It sure would be nice to see some tangible evidence that this is being considered.

Bruce -
So that's great...it appears that board members are around and see what's going on being discussed. But with typically no posts or responses, how do we know that they were really here? If a tree falls in the forest....

There are a lot of good ideas (and some bad, too) that the members float and have discussions on. It sure would be nice to see some tangible evidence that this is being considered.

I can't speak for everyone, but I can tell you all that both the Rally Chair and Co-Chair monitor this thread (and all thread related to the Rally). And as a Committee Co-Chair I do too.

As one of the very first members of this forum, I can share your concern but doubt if anything is being overlooked. Communication is key to any successful organization.

Don Hamblin
Former President, BMW MOA

Awards Co-Chair

Rally Chairman,
Kansas City BMW Motorcycle Club,
"Land of Oz" Rally

Don, thanks. I've already had off-board PMs with Rick who has assured me that he's "listening" and even posting in this thread. His input prompted me to do a quick check of the board members and their activity which I mentioned is fairly active.

That said, for "Long Distance" awards you will need to show us your driver license (just like voting or getting a speeding ticket in some states). Other awards will require us to see things like the motorcycle's registration / appropriate birth certificates / trip logs (including a few things like gas and hotel receipts) for validation. Do watch for a more indepth article coming in a future issue of the BMW ON and the Rally Page for details of award requirements.

Don Hamblin
Awards Co-Chair

The thought that someone would cheat on the mileage, or lie about their age, is simply too funny for words.:laugh

The thought that someone would cheat on the mileage, or lie about their age, is simply too funny for words.:laugh

:laugh Both of those items are what, I think they call, inversely proportional ie every year I 'get younger' and each year I ride- and have ridden - ' farther'. The mind is a wonderful thing eh? Around a campfire (or beer tent) the former is fun; in a competition, verification of the variables is critical. Dang!! I wish we could make it to Salem this year :banghead - Bob

This year we will be using Google Maps as our standard for appropriate mileage awards.

The idea is to make sure that there are no surprises to those going after the awards (I know that i only like surprises at Christmas).

Yes, if you do believe you are in the running for an award you will have to check in at the Awards Booth in the MOA Building. Current award "contestants" will be posted at that booth for your information. We will have a laptop handy (I am bringing my MacBook in my saddle bag, let's just hope it survives Kansas heat and Nebraska pot holes and we've got solid WiFi) so that you can watch us verify our validation of your mileage.

I know what it feels like having to wait for an announcement or "screen projection" of individual award winners, and I also know what it feels like to "know better" after an announcement, so we want to be open, honest and fair.

Please post any further comments, suggestions, concerns, etc., to this thread. If you want to discuss any specific details, please contact me directly for discussion. Yep, I do respond.

Don

Don Hamblin
Awards Co-Chair

In Sedalia we also used Google Maps as the standard for mileage awards. I also had to confirm to several individuals that I was doing it correctly using the computer even though it may have appeared further on a map.

Don is correct - you had to have stopped by the awards booth and sign up for the award if you think you qualified and you wanted in the contest. It was mentioned in the MOA magazine and also in the Rally book. I know of a few people who were further, older, younger, etc. but they didn't sign up.

Sharon Ernest
2012 Awards Chair @ Sedalia

Crows, direct and byways?

Google maps and by the most direct highways is one, byways touring is another adding many additional miles and crows are airborn:). The latter being just too poor an idea(eat crow). The first two are work, so volunteer. It IS more work to consider touring folks miles and validation of such to be fair. Google is the most simple of all, but considers NO touring off the beaten paths miles added! And last: We're ALL officials in this MOA, holding equal responsibility as members to keep it strong. We DO have Directors, Ambassadors, etc., but never consider yourself not able to make a change:). Sounds like somebody is HERE with mileage considerations. NICE work Canada:). Others too. Randy. PS; I couldn't help notice how few the "post numbers" were from Officials(Past and otherwise) here. Not often, it seems. Glad you did, however. Welcome to the Forum. I do know many old timers MOA here. NICE again.

Back