• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camp Lantern

sloride

I'm interested in a led camp lantern but have never used one.

Some recommendations from experienced users would be helpful. Thanks

We have a small and large Black Diamond lantern and are very happy with them. Here is a link to a good price.

Campmor

+1 for the Black Diamond lantern. Small enough for backpacking, yet powerful enough to provide general illumination for your camp site.

Collapsed it is about 4" high, with a diameter about 2" at the maximum. Extended it is about 5-1/2" high.

The on-off switch is protected when in the collapsed position.

Enough light for one person to read by, but in no way will it be mistaken for a Coleman gas lantern.

Recommended.

Attachments

• Christmas 2011 057.jpg
    Christmas 2011 057.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 597
'Nuther thumbs-up for the Black Diamond LED lanterns. They also offer a bigger one (Titan?) than either the Orbit or Apollo if you are so inclined.

Regards,

Led light/lantern

I've camped all my life, and went shopping for a new lantern.
Well, things have changed. LED, although not totally proven in all applications presently is the only way to go. ( A signal supervisor for Amtrak, constantly replacing $200.00 LED's instead of $1.00 bulbs).

I've recently travelled with an Apollo, Black Diamond 80 lumens lantern.
It's suberb, should be at $50.00 retail, no heat issues, can be positioned on the bike at night, packs super small.
So good, I bought one for my son for packbacking/hiking/camping for Xmas.
It dims, and is soft on the 4 AA batteries.
Perfect for the cycle.
My two cents.
Reel Job/ RI/ 2011 R1200RT:thumb

For reading both inside and outside my tent I've always used a head lamp. Also good for walking/finding things at night. Almost worthless durning the day.

:nod A Petzl Tikka lives in the tank bag. It's used when camping and when working on the bike. The 3 LEDs provide plenty of light for reading in the low (battery sipping) mode. I use sanyo eneloop rechargeable batteries (very slow self discharge rate) and charge them maybe once a season. I've yet had to go to the backup batteries that I take, just-in-case. The current version of my model is the Tikka2.

For a lantern I currently use a Coleman LED version which is no longer available. At the time I purchased it it was smaller than the Black diamond when closed, put out almost the same amount of light, and was about 30% cheaper. It was similar to this but was rectangular and used regular batteries, not the expensive CR123A.

:nod
For a lantern I currently use a Coleman LED version which is no longer available. At the time I purchased it it was smaller than the Black diamond when closed, put out almost the same amount of light, and was about 30% cheaper. It was similar to this but was rectangular and used regular batteries, not the expensive CR123A.

Could it have been this one I found in an Aerostich ad? No personal experience, it just reminded me of this thread when I saw the picture.

headlamp + spare batteries. Everything should be dual or multi purpose otherwise you will end up carrying way too much stuff.

I'm in the process of upgrading some of my equipment. My camping gear is all the same as I used for backpacking.

Sierra designs Clip Flashlight 2 person replaced with Kelty Salida 4
Keeping my vintage headlamp and adding LED lantern
I'm keeping my Esbit solid fuel stove as I mostly boil water and and make simple meals. I may upgrade in the future.
The rest of my gear is fine for now.

Incidentally I have a lot of solid fuel cubes if someone needs some

Could it have been this one I found in an Aerostich ad? No personal experience, it just reminded me of this thread when I saw the picture.

Yep, that's the one. A friend found them on sale for about that price a year or three ago and a bunch of us bought some. The only bad thing was the super cheap mini-carabiner that came with it to hang it from a tent loop. I tossed it, using loop of velcro in the tent, instead.

Yep, that's the one. A friend found them on sale for about that price a year or three ago and a bunch of us bought some. The only bad thing was the super cheap mini-carabiner that came with it to hang it from a tent loop. I tossed it, using loop of velcro in the tent, instead.

very nice
This one is on my finalist list:)

The wally world version headlamp with 3 LEDS is great-better than the name brand headlamps I've owned for yrs!

Yes - but your Wally World product was made by child soldiers in the Chinese Red Army.

The one thing I find most amusing in the MOA forum are the number of people who won't bat an eyelash at spending $25,000 on a motorcycle, but insist on buying the cheapest possible product at Wal-Mart, regardless of the consequences to ethics, trade imbalances, child labor, or the environment. I've only once walked into a Wal-Mart (trying to buy a U.S. flag after 9/11 - they didn't have any), and I've never knowingly given the company a penny.

[/rant]

+1 on the BDEL products. I swear by BDEL products whether I'm climbing Mt. Rainier or looking for the fusebox when the power trips off. Ice climbing gloves, ice axes, climbing harnesses - all top-quality gear.

I have the BDEL "Apollo" model.
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/lighting/apollo-lantern

LED means the batteries seem to last forever. The battery level indicator give you more than ample warning of when the batteries are running out of life - like a couple of days of continuous use before they expire completely.

Similarly, I trust and rely upon my BDEL headlamp. Bomb-proof. Reliable. Dependable.

Yes - but your Wally World product was made by child soldiers in the Chinese Red Army.

The one thing I find most amusing in the MOA forum are the number of people who won't bat an eyelash at spending $25,000 on a motorcycle, but insist on buying the cheapest possible product at Wal-Mart, regardless of the consequences to ethics, trade imbalances, child labor, or the environment. I've only once walked into a Wal-Mart (trying to buy a U.S. flag after 9/11 - they didn't have any), and I've never knowingly given the company a penny.

[/rant]

+1 on the BDEL products. I swear by BDEL products whether I'm climbing Mt. Rainier or looking for the fusebox when the power trips off. Ice climbing gloves, ice axes, climbing harnesses - all top-quality gear.

I have the BDEL "Apollo" model.
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/lighting/apollo-lantern

LED means the batteries seem to last forever. The battery level indicator give you more than ample warning of when the batteries are running out of life - like a couple of days of continuous use before they expire completely.

Similarly, I trust and rely upon my BDEL headlamp. Bomb-proof. Reliable. Dependable.

I thought everything was imported , well almost everything. I've given up trying to buy made in the USA. Although if I have a choice and the product quality seems to be OK I'll buy USA or Western Europe over countries that are have a reputation for harsh treatment of workers

I can remember way back when I would buy union made if I could. Try that now

l checked the REI site and it states Black Diamond headlamp is imported . Doesn't say from where

BMW owners cheap? I converted my mini mag light to LED a couple of years ago, the light stay's in my tank bag year round, used often and I haven't changed the battery yet.

Back