• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

That Tiny Plastic Key-like Doodad???

royce

When I picked up my new F800ST last week, they gave me two "real" keys and one plastic thingee about the size of a big paper clip. Salesman said something about it being "for emergencies only." I have checked it and it does indeed seem to operate the ignition, open the bags and unlock the fuel cap.

Question: why is it only for emergencies? Does it self-destruct after, say, six uses?

I actually prefer its small size cuz it fits very nicely on my dogtag chain, whereas the regular "spare" key is a tad bulky hanging around my neck.

My guess is that the plastic wears less well than the metal used in "real" keys. I carry mine in a jacket pocket as a spare.

Isn't the little plastic dooddad the key code to your bike to where you can give to BMW if you ever loose your keys to where you can get a replacement key? These keys are programmed to a certain code for it to work.

Added:

You get two metal keys, a plastic spare key, and the little tiny plastic attached to the plastic spare key. It says you can't have the plastic key with the metal key as it will mess up your electronics and bike won't start.

I carry my plastic key as a spare. The spare metal key stays at home. Why? I don't know...seemed like the right thing to do...

Guess I'm into overkill ... I put the spare metal key on my dogtag chain around my neck, and the tiny plastic key went into my wallet. Why? Dunno, seems stupid now that I say it.

Tried to start bike with it?

Has anyone tried to start the bike with it? Since it's a radio wave activated key system, the plastic do-dad would have to have the built-in electronics to start the bike. I'm guessing the plastic key is just a mold to be used to make a new key. Does it actually start the bike?
:dunno

Has anyone tried to start the bike with it? Since it's a radio wave activated key system, the plastic do-dad would have to have the built-in electronics to start the bike. I'm guessing the plastic key is just a mold to be used to make a new key. Does it actually start the bike?
:dunno

what "radio wave activated key system" are you talking about? :dunno my 2009 F8GS is a basic standard physical key, no electronics whatsoever. bike is not EWS equipped.
the plastc key is your "oh crap, I lost my nice solid metal one, but sure glad i stuffed this little plastc guy in my wallet" key. yeah, it might wear out or even break if used on a regular basis. or maybe not. and yes- it will indeed start the bike.

try your plastic key, tell us what happens. maybe it is chip equipped.
but regradless, i'll bet it works fine, as the plastic key is given as the wallet key. is skinny, with no extras, to fit in there nice 'n fine.

On my RT, I hid the plastic key behind one of the mirrors with a zip tie in the event that I lose my real key. I haven't had my ST for a while now, but I'm betting there's a place you could do the same in the event of a lost real key. A couple inches away from the EWS ring is all that's needed to avoid any problems.

From the 2009 F800GS Owners Manual:
Electronic immobiliser
EWS
Protection against theft
The electronic immobiliser EWS helps protect your BMW motorcycle from theft, and this enhanced security is at your disposal without any need for you to
set parameters or activate additional systems. The engine of a motorcycle fitted with this electronic immobiliser can be started only with the keys that belong to the vehicle. You can also have your authorised BMW Motorrad dealer bar individual keys, for example if a particular key goes missing. The engine cannot be started with a key that has been barred.
In-key electronics
The motorcycle's electronics exchange certain continuously changing signals with the electronics in the key; these signals are specific to your motorcycle and they are transmitted via the ring aerial in the ignition lock. The ignition is not enabled for starting until the key has been recognised as "authorised" for your motorcycle.
A spare key attached to the same ring as the ignition key used to start the engine could "irritate" the electronics, in which case the enabling signal for starting is not issued. The EWS warning appears in the multifunction display.
Always keep the spare key separately from the ignition key.
Replacement and extra keys
You can obtain replacement/extra keys only through an authorised BMW Motorrad dealer. The keys are part of an integrated security system, so the dealer is under an obligation to check the legitimacy of all applications for replacement/extra keys. If you want to have a lost key barred, you have to bring with you all
the other keys that belong to the motorcycle. A key that has been barred can subsequently be cleared and reactivated for use.

I taped mine to the frame in an inconspicuous spot with black electricians tape in case I ever lose my real key.

I taped mine to the frame in an inconspicuous spot with black electricians tape in case I ever lose my real key.

Garth, I'll be interested to know how that works out for you, after a few months of riding in weather. Keep me posted.

It has been there for 2 years, snow rain, sun. I make sure I check on it occasionally but so far so good.

I did somewhat the same thing with my truck. Taped a door key to the tailgate cable but one day when i locked my keys in the truck i forgot all about it and spent 1 hr trying to get into it with a coat hanger.

Lesson

You can put it where you want but you have to remember where you put it when you need it

The key just has a molded in rfid chip. Why would you be worried about it being taped to the bike frame? You'd likely have to chop it up to hurt it..

The key just has a molded in rfid chip. Why would you be worried about it being taped to the bike frame? You'd likely have to chop it up to hurt it..

I wasn't "worried" about the key itself; was thinking about the tape holding. After two years in the elements, that there is some good tape. Better than mine.

My van came with two keys with black plastic and the rf chip so they'll start the van. I got one extra made along with two cheap metal keys that will unlock the doors but won't start the van. The primary driving key is on it's own key chain by itself so there's no chance of the messed up ignition from too much weight hanging on it.

One spare black starting key rides around in my right front pocket. One metal door unlocking key rides around in my left front pocket. One unlock but can't start and drive away key is conveniently waiting in the garage in case I want to get into the van when I'm wearing bike riding clothes or something else so I don't have the spares in my pockets. The last start and drive key is in a cabinet inside the house in case 'the boss' needs to move the van.

Keys and pockets go well together. One loose spare key with the coins in my left pocket or with the Chapstick and pocket knife in my right pocket is nothing. It also eliminates the small chance of someone finding where I hid it on the vehicle while thinking I was far more clever than anyone who'd ever hidden a key before.

Back