• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

International vs. Intranational Rally??

aa3jy

Someone brought up an interesting point..does the title "International Rally" really reflect the true meaning of word International?

Though participants to the Rally come from other parts of the globe.. generally the Rally is held 'within' the political boundaries of the United States.

Should the word Intranational ...

"within one nation; occurring or existing within a nation's boundaries. "

..replace International

"1.between or among nations; involving two or more nations: international trade.
2.of or pertaining to two or more nations or their citizens: a matter of international concern.
3.pertaining to the relations between nations: international law.
4.having members or activities in several nations: an international organization.
5.transcending national boundaries or viewpoints: an international benefit; an international reputation."

Thoughts/suggestions??

'International' in the name is equivalent to an open invitation to the world.

'Intranational' evokes an image of someone gazing at his belly button.

my 2?ó

1. between or among nations; involving two or more nations...

5. ... an international benefit; an international reputation."

are you the guy who corrects everyone's spelling on ADV? :ha

people come to our rally from all over the world. and we have a reputation as the world's largest independent BMW club.

on edit: we have members all over the world and they often come to our rally.

hence, we have an international rally.

ian

Last edited:
Detroit annually hosts an auto show. It is always held in Detroit. It's called the North American International Auto Show. Hmmmmm. :stick

The BMW MOA holds what can be best viewed as a "national" rally as the host is known as the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America. Fortunately the MOA forefathers did not restrict club or owner membership to those who do not reside in America. For this to be a true international rally it's location would be rotated amongst the various countries where club and members reside and not just within the boundaries of the United States of America. Trenton being the exception and for logistical reasons I cannot see the MOA coming back to Canada anytime soon. Although the door is will always remain open.

The BMW MOA holds what can be best viewed as a "national" rally as the host is known as the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America. Fortunately the MOA forefathers did not restrict club or owner membership to those who do not reside in America. For this to be a true international rally it's location would be rotated amongst the various countries where club and members reside and not just within the boundaries of the United States of America. Trenton being the exception and for logistical reasons I cannot see the MOA coming back to Canada anytime soon. Although the door is will always remain open.

I see it slightly differently. It is the BMW Motorcycles of America. It is International because folks are welcomed from anywhere in the world. We fly in and out of International airports and eat at International House of Pancakes. We would have rallies in the Canadian part of America except for the difficulties crossing the border.

I see it slightly differently. It is the BMW Motorcycles of America. It is International because folks are welcomed from anywhere in the world. We fly in and out of International airports and eat at International House of Pancakes. We would have rallies in the Canadian part of America except for the difficulties crossing the border.

I agree, to an extent, with your post. That said there is no "International" provision on the MOA board of directors. Unless mistaken all director positions are elected regardless of geographical location. Would the MOA consider adding director positions based on the location of it's members ie: Canada, Mexico, Europe, South and Central America and Asia. Would the MOA consider a name change to the International BMW Motorcycle Owners Association.

As a Canadian I do not consider that Canada is a part of America. To us America is short for the United States of America. Canada forms a part of North America. Big difference.

International airports also serve the domestic market (I have to fly out of one tomorrow).

Crossing the international border should not be considered a deterrent as it only takes a few minutes to wait in line and answer the questions respectfully. How hard can that be.

Please do not take my post harshly as I respect the MOA for what it stands and am proud to be a member of a group that is both incorporated, having it's head office and doing business in the United States of America.

The important thing is to enjoy the ride while we can.

America's:)

America(s) covers this half, or third of the planet, top to bottom:), a very long ways. I know America is a USA phenom for the most part, but the America's came about so long ago, from England and so on:). The New World:), as we are Virgins in History. Randy PS; Loved the Capitol City of Canada on ride trans Canada ride a few years ago:)

Just a quick correction to your post Ottawa is the National Capital of Canada and not the Capitol city.

As I live and work in our Nation's Capital I must take the time to politely educate others about my dear over-taxed city.

To the moderator(s) if my post appear to be more politically slanted than what is deemed acceptable I would gladly accept you letting me know.

Have a great week.

Key West "International" Airport has ALWAYS been in Key West, as far as I know. The North American "International" Auto Show has ALWAYS been in Detroit, as far as I know. It would seem quite odd if they held the "Frankfurt International Auto Show" in, say, Helsinki.

The rally does not have to go to another country to be considered "international" as I don't believe that that is the definition of the word in this usage.

That said, if the obstacles to a Canadian rally could be overcome, I would certainly attend one.

It's all about your reference frame. The actual rally events are intranational, but the participants are international. I think "a rally between many nationals" is far more accurate than "a rally within one nation." The intent is to bring people from many nations to rally, not to all gather in one nation.

Back