• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Embarrassing closing ceremony

Excuses are easy. How many motorcyclists have ever been killed by a tornado at a rally?

I'll go along with that one. Something tells me that statistically you're a lot more likely to get hurt riding a motorcycle than by a tornado. Checking the stats, annual tornado deaths are in the tens, occasionally getting into the hundreds. Motorcycle deaths run 2-5000 annually. And to get hit by a tornado when one recently landed in almost the same spot?

THANKS to Statdawg;

Offering your home for GS activities is beyond what we've seen before at any National rally I've been to:), in my very long rally'in past. Thanks for the generous hospitality indeed:). We sure had a hoot of a time throughout the GS Gypsy Tour and so many to thank. The closing ceremonies are taking a hit here, as expected perhaps and the few days of heat came to a boil at the end:(. Many lost patience and thats the nature of the beast I guess in mass numbers! Maybe we can take a lesson from our destinquished past and move on to better days:), cooler weather! The BMW'ON is the best representing factor for so much of what we as a rally attendee need to hear in these circumstances, so let the magazine represent so much more of this to many MORE members, than at the rally and keep us happier. I know the big rally is our premier annual event and much needs to be said, but please take note, listen up without taking offense, as none is really intended. Thanks again Chris and all the GS Gypsy riders and workerbees, I'll always treat as family:). Randy

Closing ceremony

The closing ceremony has drawn complaints for the 28 years that I have attended the rallies. After this year's closing ceremony, it is obviously that MOA management has not heeded our pleas.

Those boos, and the steady stream of people leaving throughout the ceremony, were indicative that many rally goers were not pleased. And many of the older members were sick and suffering because of the heat. We were very lucky someone did not have a serious heat injury. Further evidence of a problem is how many names had to be drawn to find someone present to accept a prize.

Surely MOA management realized how hot it was in those stands. But despite obvious displeasure from many members, MOA management seemed determined to forge ahead, regardless.

After all these years of rallies, this is a simple problem to solve.

Give 30 minutes for recognition and announcements. Give 30 minutes for the awarding of prizes and awards. One hour is very sufficient for a closing ceremony, and it should not go one minute beyond the hour.

All grand prizes should be awarded whether the recipient is present or not. Why punish riders who have to be back at work Monday morning?

All information included in the ceremony is printed in the magazine, and can be read by members.

Come on, MOA. Fix this problem once and for all.

Come on, MOA. Fix this problem once and for all.

:rofl

the MOA is not going to change anything, not the dates the rally is held, not the closing ceremony, nothing ! they don't care what anyone thinks, they will just keep on doing what they have always done, oblivious to what the membership wants. when rally attendance and membership falls off they will look to each other and wonder why. the writing is on the wall as to the future of the MOA if only they choose to see it.

"They" are us :)

If you are determined to change things, run for the Board and change them - I did, it was a very rewarding experience. You could even recruit a few other folks to run with you and make a major part of your platform reform of how the MOA does rallies.

If I liked what you put down outlining what the problem was and how you proposed to fix it you'd have my vote.

Ted

When the next election????????? Who want to sign off my form????? Be careful what you wish for.

"They" are us :)

If you are determined to change things, run for the Board and change them - I did, it was a very rewarding experience. You could even recruit a few other folks to run with you and make a major part of your platform reform of how the MOA does rallies.

If I liked what you put down outlining what the problem was and how you proposed to fix it you'd have my vote.

Ted

:rofl

the MOA is not going to change anything, not the dates the rally is held, not the closing ceremony, nothing ! they don't care what anyone thinks, they will just keep on doing what they have always done, oblivious to what the membership wants. when rally attendance and membership falls off they will look to each other and wonder why. the writing is on the wall as to the future of the MOA if only they choose to see it.

You want some cheese with that??

When the next election????????? Who want to sign off my form????? Be careful what you wish for.

LoL - I am not sure, here is what I would do.

1. Read the bylaws, especially section 4:
http://www.bmwmoa.org/club/about_the_bmw_moa/bmw_moa_bylaws
2. Call or e-mail MOA HQ and ask for the e-mail for the head of the candidate recruitment committee. Contact that person, they will have all the election info for you.
3. Write up a 300 to 400 word position statement. Start with a broad outline of how you see things now and how you would like to change them. Then bullet your specific goals and how you want to achieve them. Then wrap up again in broad terms what kind of leader you hope to be and why folks should vote for you.
4. Then get the word out on forums that you are running and start building up support!

I found this thread to be quite amusing. You'd think by some of the comments posted here we were locked in the grandstands and forced to stay at the ceremony. Of course looking back the flame throwers should have been canceled, and the long winded speakers should have kept it short. Bottom line is no one who was uncomfortable had to stay. Quit the whining, if the ceremonies pain you so much, why attend them?

I found this thread to be quite amusing. You'd think by some of the comments posted here we were locked in the grandstands and forced to stay at the ceremony. Of course looking back the flame throwers should have been canceled, and the long winded speakers should have kept it short. Bottom line is no one who was uncomfortable had to stay. Quit the whining, if the ceremonies pain you so much, why attend them?

Maybe because "you must be present to win."

regarding booing

I think that there may be more than one perspective on this, based on your location in the stands during the "performance" by the flame cars.

Early arrivals had the sense to sit in the higher seats, since only in this area was there any shade from the sun. Later arrivals, myself included, took the only available seats which were in the sun, and coincidentally, closer to the track.

As uncomfortable as the additional heat was from these cars, the heat emitted when two cars "flamed" simultaneously was dangerously hot. In fact, I was under the impression that the hair on several people had been singed as a result of this. People who were still entering the arena, and were in the walkway adjacent to the track, either ducked or tried to shield themselves from the heat. The screams coming from the rally participants were not those of someone enjoying the thrill. I don't think anyone exposed to this were the least bit amused by it. At this point the boo's started from the stands and I booed along with the rest.

This wasn't a matter of good manners, it was a matter of safety! This was one of the most foolish, no stupid, activities I have ever encountered. Thank God there were no serious injuries (that I am aware of).

Perhaps rally participants at the other end of the stands had a different perspective, so I wanted to present the other side of the story.

I don't think anyone exposed to this were the least bit amused by it. At this point the boo's started from the stands and I booed along with the rest.

people also booed during the presentation by the Foundation people.

really poor form.

people also booed during the presentation by the Foundation people.

really poor form.

After 72+ hours of brutal heat, patience and tempers were well below the wear bars by the time the closing ceremonies rolled around. And as for "If you didn't want to be there, leave" logic - wrong. Under current policy, you're forced to be there should your number be selected for a prize.

Every year, I'm eligible to win a $130,000+ airplane from the EAA - and I don't have to be present to win! The MOA Rally planners need to revamp the rules for the Closing Ceremonies.

As for 'booing,' something I've never done, despite attending numerous sporting events and competitive contests. Just seems a level of mob mentality and behavior that I think we should all be above - not because we're BMW owners - because it's immature and something we should have grown out of by now. :fight

Booing

You ever been to an Eagles game? They booed Santa Clause one year. Tough crowd in good old PA.:)

We didn't just boo Santa, we threw snowballs at him. I for one, was pissed I didn't get the new BMW I'd asked him for. Anyway, I'm glad it was too hot for snowballs in Bloomsburg.
My two cents, I understand the "must be present to win policy" the stands would have been empty, at the same time in this case and considering the heat, the whole thing would have gone smoother and faster by just picking a winner and moving on. I feel very bad for the organizers and volunteers, for the the most part it was a great event, it was just so damn hot!

My two cents, I understand the "must be present to win policy", the stands would have been empty, ...

If that is true, then I would say that the customers have voted and we should respect that. Does this not mean that the whole closing ceremony concept may need re-engineering?

Back