• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looking for good roads in and around Hudson Valley

sedanman

neanderssance man
Greetings, I know about Rt 6 by the Bear Mountain Bridge, Rt 218, Rt 55 near Minnewaska, Hawks Nest. There have to be others. Please share any you know about.

Google Maps was acting up and wouldn't let me create the custom size map. Use the minus button on the map to zoom out and you'll see the whole route. Looks pretty straight but doesn't ride that way.

7 Lakes Parkway thru Harriman State Park between Sloatsburg, NY (rt. 17) and Bear Mountain Parkway. Going in either direction is very nice. A lot of different ways to go on that road depending on what you do at the numerous roundabouts. Nice picnic and cold lake swimming too.
Make sure you pull off and take Perkins Drive just off 7 Lakes for a long road climb up to the Observation Tower and look-out. A favorite spot for motorcycles and sports cars. Stunning views of the Hudson Valley.

For upper Hudson take the Taconic Parkway up to Rhinebeck/Red Hook area. Very pretty.

mike wex
'96 r1100rt

Head over to Danbury and take rt. 7 north. It has been voted one of the best drives in America.

Another one of my favorites is heading across the river and out through Pine Island and if time permits down in the Poconos before hopping on I-84 and heading back home.

The book, Great American Motorcycle Tours has one tour titled Hudson River Valley Run that looks like what you are looking for. Basically, it starts in Tarrytown and crosses the Hudson to Nyack and goes north, crossing back over to the east side at bear Mountain Bridge and continues mostly on Rte 9 north to Saratoga Springs. The stretch between Rhinebeck and Interstate 90 it moves further East and uses the Taconic Parkway, then following Int 90 westbound, across the river again and then north to Saratoga Springs. The book is well worth purchasing as it not only lists but explains in detail the scenic, historic, and inns and restaurants as well as other area attractions. There are tours in the book for the entire country and approx 10 of them are east of the Missisippi. There are also other books in the series devoted to just certain areas of the USA, north, south, east and west.

Just ordered that book off Amazon. Loving alll the sugestions. I want to try to string them together into a few different loops, scenic, twisty, etc.

You can also try some of the roads through the Catskill Mountains. Most are good.

Rt 23a from Palenville to Haines Falls - lots of twisty turns - sometimes lot of people too.
Rt 23a from Haines Falls to Prattsville
Rt 23 from Cairo to Prattsville (lots of radar on Rt 23 from Catskill to Cairo)
Rt 28 from Kingston to the western Catskills
Rt 214 from Phoenicia to Hunter
Rt 296 from Windham to Hunter
Rt 47 from Big Indian to Ellenville
Rt 42 from Rt 28 to Rt 23a
The roads around and over the Ashokan Reservoir
Roads around the other reservoirs are good too.
Lots of smaller roads are great too.
Lower down, you can try the road from High Falls over Mohonk to New Paltz. Lots of twisty turns.
Don't forget to watch for deer.

If you want an overnight trip, try the loop through the Adirondacks, or pass bagging in Vermont.

Back